The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Short term benefit for long term gains at this stage.

Mowbray just needs to keep you up by all means necessary. He can start implementing his regime properly in the summer, by recruiting his own personnel. That's even if he stays, of course. He didn't seem too keen last week on the Football League Show!

Hope you stay up though, mate. Coventry City don't belong in League Two.

I agree. We don't belong in League One either, with all due respect to the clubs in it, but our off field problems are crippling and will be until SISU go. I hope Mowbray finds a way around them as he seems to know what he's doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
I agree. We don't belong in League One either, with all due respect to the clubs in it, but our off field problems are crippling and will be until SISU go. I hope Mowbray finds a way around them as he seems to know what he's doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in terms of the infrastructure and history, perhaps, but your league gates needs to show your potential. It's time your fans stepped up - you're in a relegation battle.
Original post by Mackay
Not in terms of the infrastructure and history, perhaps, but your league gates needs to show your potential. It's time your fans stepped up - you're in a relegation battle.

I agree, there is a potential fan base of around 400-500,000 in Coventry and its surrounding areas. The problem is a phenomenal period of not achieving anything, the Sixfields debacle and incredibly unpopular owners. We haven't had a top half finish in 9 years and no top 6 finish in 45, it really is something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Barnet are back at the top of the Conference. So the destiny is back in the team's own hands.
We haven't had a top half finish in 9 years and no top 6 finish in 45, it really is something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Incredible. Shame you had the points deduction when you had Wilson, Clarke et al.
Original post by Mackay
Incredible. Shame you had the points deduction when you had Wilson, Clarke et al.

Even the most loyal fans eventually lose patience-they need something to be optimistic about. I don't think other clubs would be getting much bigger crowds on the back of the same record of non achievement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even the most loyal fans eventually lose patience-they need something to be optimistic about. I don't think other clubs would be getting much bigger crowds on the back of the same record of non achievement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talk of you lot signing Sam Ricketts I've heard. Decent acquisition. Maybe Mowbray being in charge will mean you can attract a better quality of player/better mentality of player than Pressley could.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I know how much you love your loans sir, here's another one http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2015/03/16/sam-ricketts-set-to-leave-wolves-for-coventry/

Good model pro though and a very good player for that level. Feel kinda sorry that he's been edged out by youth here but that's one of those things.
Really frustrating to lose to Cardiff after dominating. We haven't been properly outplayed in a while but we keep throwing points away. Blackburn away tomorrow and I'm pretty sure we need a result.
Original post by Mackay
Talk of you lot signing Sam Ricketts I've heard. Decent acquisition. Maybe Mowbray being in charge will mean you can attract a better quality of player/better mentality of player than Pressley could.

It says a lot how within a week or two Mowbray has identified the weak points of the team and immediately sought to fix them. Pressley couldn't work it out and kept signing barrel loads of strikers. Experience will help this defence a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hskjlclcn
As I know how much you love your loans sir, here's another one http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2015/03/16/sam-ricketts-set-to-leave-wolves-for-coventry/

Good model pro though and a very good player for that level. Feel kinda sorry that he's been edged out by youth here but that's one of those things.

We must be on course for a record. In all seriousness seems like a well regarded player for L1 and he should help shore up this leaky defence. Is he being released in May?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It says a lot how within a week or two Mowbray has identified the weak points of the team and immediately sought to fix them. Pressley couldn't work it out and kept signing barrel loads of strikers. Experience will help this defence a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assume he'll play left-back rather than that Forest Green lad? Whatever happened to Ryan Haynes? He was immense against Gillingham at your first match back at the Ricoh.
Original post by Mackay
Assume he'll play left-back rather than that Forest Green lad? Whatever happened to Ryan Haynes? He was immense against Gillingham at your first match back at the Ricoh.

I assume he will go at left back. Stokes is inexperienced and although surprisingly promising we have to stop haemorrhaging goals through being naïve at the back. Haynes is very young and we haven't seen the last of him, but he is a distinctly attack-minded player who probably shouldn't be at LB let alone in our situation. I wanted to see him tried out as a winger, he has pace, dribbling ability and a good cross on him-but we can't afford to experiment right now.
Haynes is very young and we haven't seen the last of him, but he is a distinctly attack-minded player who probably shouldn't be at LB let alone in our situation. I wanted to see him tried out as a winger, he has pace, dribbling ability and a good cross on him-but we can't afford to experiment right now.

Agreed. Sometimes young players are guilty of being played too much and overused, too. They often suffer burnout.
Original post by Mackay
Agreed. Sometimes young players are guilty of being played too much and overused, too. They often suffer burnout.

Wilson could have scored even more last season but he was being picked every week and had a lot of pressure on him to carry the side after Clarke left. You have to be careful in how much pressure you put on these players as if it goes wrong then he may well not rediscover his ability. Countless players who have burst through then tailed off into anonymity, the BBC did an article on it recently.
Wilson could have scored even more last season but he was being picked every week and had a lot of pressure on him to carry the side after Clarke left. You have to be careful in how much pressure you put on these players as if it goes wrong then he may well not rediscover his ability. Countless players who have burst through then tailed off into anonymity, the BBC did an article on it recently.

I'm a Liverpool fan and there was definitely some apprehension as to whether Sterling would be the same and end up burning the candle at both ends. Thankfully, he had an awkward spell during 2012-13 and has been revitalised since.
Original post by Mackay
I'm a Liverpool fan and there was definitely some apprehension as to whether Sterling would be the same and end up burning the candle at both ends. Thankfully, he had an awkward spell during 2012-13 and has been revitalised since.

Never met an unfriendly Scouser...and yes Hodgson got a lot of grief for pulling him from from the England games but people forget that these players are teenagers being put into a very high profile position with more money than sense. The salaries of people under a certain age should be capped so we don't end up with more Gascoignes and do end up with good players for years to come.
We must be on course for a record. In all seriousness seems like a well regarded player for L1 and he should help shore up this leaky defence. Is he being released in May?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah he has already said he needs to find a place to play First Team football next year, just in case the Welshies get to the Euros. Fair play to him though even though he hasn't been anywhere near the squad he's apparently been assisting with coaching for the first team, good experience to go with all your yoooooof!
Unlucky, Bradford.

JPT trophy final this weekend btw.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Yeah he has already said he needs to find a place to play First Team football next year, just in case the Welshies get to the Euros. Fair play to him though even though he hasn't been anywhere near the squad he's apparently been assisting with coaching for the first team, good experience to go with all your yoooooof!

I heard we're going to have a real problem with GCSE mocks starting soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest