The Student Room Group

Can I apply with 3 as levels to oxbridge?

I am doing only 3 courses in my first year of a level. they are maths further maths and economics. I have a plan to apply to cambridge. but is it okay if i only do 3 as levels in the first year? or should i do another as level in my second year to make it 4?
Original post by rhmdntymoyra
I am doing only 3 courses in my first year of a level. they are maths further maths and economics. I have a plan to apply to cambridge. but is it okay if i only do 3 as levels in the first year? or should i do another as level in my second year to make it 4?

Some universities count maths and further maths as one a level
I've just moved this to the Oxbridge forum for you :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I've just moved this to the Oxbridge forum for you :h:

thank you 😊
For what course?
Reply 5
Original post by Lucilou101
For what course?

economics
Most people would do 4 AS, but that doesn't mean you can't get in with 3. As far as I'm aware Cambridge accept Maths and Further Maths as separate A-Levels so that shouldn't be a problem.

The best thing to do would be email an admission tutor to be sure, or use one of the Ask an Admissions Tutor threads on the Cambridge forum.
Original post by danbomb123
Some universities count maths and further maths as one a level

Could you give an example that isn't medicine?
Reply 8
Original post by rhmdntymoyra

It is possible but you will be at a huge disadvantage alongside many Economics applicants who have four of five AS and 4 A2. Why would you only do 3?

If you come from a very disadvantaged background or school this should be mentioned on your application. You will need very high UMS, and good GCSEs in English/History will help to demonstrate a strong application.
Reply 9
Original post by Colmans
It is possible but you will be at a huge disadvantage alongside many Economics applicants who have four of five AS and 4 A2. Why would you only do 3?

If you come from a very disadvantaged background or school this should be mentioned on your application. You will need very high UMS, and good GCSEs in English/History will help to demonstrate a strong application.

I just moved to England few months before GCSE and English is not my first Language, so my grades weren't really good. Because of that the tutor told me to do 3 AS Levels so I can only focus on those three courses that I'll do in A2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending