The Student Room Group

People with lots of A* targets: Do you think you will achieve them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArlenM
Depends. There are I think three options that A* students in my year are following.

1: 70% of A* predicted students I know are following route of: Been revising for absolutely ages, not going to stop now, it only gets harder as you get closer to exams.

2: 29% seem to pick this: I'm going to do quite a lot of revision in the subjects I need to improve in, and hope to do well in the other subjects with limited and late revision.

3: Then there's me. I haven't touched any form of hard work for the past year or so. No school-work, no revision, just Dota 2 and CS GO. I've always stuck with my core beliefs of Do it on the day, and Do the bare minimum, and that seems to work for me. So day before exams begin, I should probably attempt some work.

If you follow path 1 or 2 you should do very well. If you are like me, prepare to be quite surprised like I am, although hoping for 3 A*, rest A except Chemistry B

Absolute lad add cod 4 promod and starcraft 2.

I spent all off study leave playing xbox and I still got 10 A stars.
I did revision the night before every single one of my exams except English and Maths, which I started revising two weeks before. Came out with 12 A*s (bio, chem, physics, dual maths, English lit and lang, history, Latin, Spanish, RS, ICT) and 2 As (French and geography)!

Have faith in yourselves!
Reply 22
Original post by MsTyrell
I did revision the night before every single one of my exams except English and Maths, which I started revising two weeks before. Came out with 12 A*s (bio, chem, physics, dual maths, English lit and lang, history, Latin, Spanish, RS, ICT) and 2 As (French and geography)!

Have faith in yourselves!

You must be real adept with languages or Latin and Spanish specifically in the least if last night revision was ample time for you to learn BOTH languages :eek:
Thanks for your compliment! But really, I don't think you know vocab inside out of Spaish exams, but you do have a have a good idea. For Latin, I learned all of the vocab the night before and I guess I stored it in my short term memory. If you need any advice, let me know. :smile:
Reply 24
Thanks for your compliment! But really, I don't think you know vocab inside out of Spaish exams, but you do have a have a good idea. For Latin, I learned all of the vocab the night before and I guess I stored it in my short term memory. If you need any advice, let me know. :smile:

Knowing the vocabulary surely isn't enough, is it? I don't take those languages but out of the ones I do take, grammar plays a large part. How did you learn both the pertinent vocabulary and grammar? How many hours were spent purely learning the words anyway :confused:?
Original post by Akashi
Knowing the vocabulary surely isn't enough, is it? I don't take those languages but out of the ones I do take, grammar plays a large part. How did you learn both the pertinent vocabulary and grammar? How many hours were spent purely learning the words anyway :confused:?

Latin grammar is easily picked up as you do translations in class. Past papers in Spanish classes also help you pick up and retain simple grammar. That's the key - it's simple. In a year's time, you'll look back and laugh at how easy GCSEs were. Just relax, have fun and believe in yourself! :smile:

Edit: my Latin exam was at half past one in the afternoon, so I got up at 9 in the morning and learned the vocab until 11.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Latin grammar is easily picked up as you do translations in class. Past papers in Spanish classes also help you pick up and retain simple grammar. That's the key - it's simple. In a year's time, you'll look back and laugh at how easy GCSEs were. Just relax, have fun and believe in yourself! :smile:

Edit: my Latin exam was at half past one in the afternoon, so I got up at 9 in the morning and learned the vocab until 11.

Just from analysing what you did is enough to show it's all beyond me. I have a very poor concentration span and get bored EXTREMELY easily and fall asleep in many of my classes. I have personal reasons as to why this is so frequent but, nonetheless, I don't feel all that fussy about GCSE'S anyway. Was just wondering about your language technique as I'm taking four languages and educating myself the grammar is a pain when I miss it in class while the vocab doesn't seem to pose a problem yet, but hey, I haven't begun revising so I'm unaware of how difficult I'll find retaining all the grammar.
Reply 27
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Absolute lad add cod 4 promod and starcraft 2.

I spent all off study leave playing xbox and I still got 10 A stars.

cod 4 promod, those were the days
Original post by Mahel
cod 4 promod, those were the days

Did you follow competitive?

qlimaxzu <3

stevy <3

mysn = ****

:smile:
Original post by Sint
I have 9 A* targets and was wondering if others with high expectations think it is realistic that you will achieve them all or almost all.
I think it's too much to do the revision to get the grades in every single one of them so I'm choosing half of them to revise lots in.

If you're expected 9A* then my advice is just chill! Make sure you know you're stuff a week before the exam so late night revision is less stressful. And listen to EVERY SINGLE THING your teachers tell you.
Reply 30
Original post by ArlenM
Depends. There are I think three options that A* students in my year are following.

1: 70% of A* predicted students I know are following route of: Been revising for absolutely ages, not going to stop now, it only gets harder as you get closer to exams.

2: 29% seem to pick this: I'm going to do quite a lot of revision in the subjects I need to improve in, and hope to do well in the other subjects with limited and late revision.

3: Then there's me. I haven't touched any form of hard work for the past year or so. No school-work, no revision, just Dota 2 and CS GO. I've always stuck with my core beliefs of Do it on the day, and Do the bare minimum, and that seems to work for me. So day before exams begin, I should probably attempt some work.

If you follow path 1 or 2 you should do very well. If you are like me, prepare to be quite surprised like I am, although hoping for 3 A*, rest A except Chemistry B

Why don't you just work... You will regret it
Original post by Sint
I have 9 A* targets and was wondering if others with high expectations think it is realistic that you will achieve them all or almost all.
I think it's too much to do the revision to get the grades in every single one of them so I'm choosing half of them to revise lots in.

i got 9a*s and 2as at gcse and I basically worked slowly but steadily from the start of the year and got more intense before exams. This was in 2008-2009.
Original post by Diligence
I'm also aiming for a similar proportion of A*s, would you say there's still enough time to achieve it? :frown:

today I was feeling similar lack of time but when you will go through the past papers you will realise that you remember most of the topics if not complete them some parts of it. it need just a good revision strategy and it's possible
Coming into this thread = Bad decision.

I can feel everyone's stress breeding on me.... God dammit, I was relatively calm and collected as well. :biggrin:

Ah well, not too late to leave. :tongue:

Anyways, good luck guys! With the amount of dedication and hard work a lot of you are putting in to these exams, I'm pretty sure you will all get the amazing grades you deserve. Just don't put too much work and stress on yourselves - stay sane for the real thing! :smile:

Is printing off the aqa specification with all the key words best bet for Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Cobbold
Is printing off the aqa specification with all the key words best bet for Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly... No. :smile: Most of those words will just never come up! I found one really helpful way was going through reading paper exams and just trying to check I knew what most of the words meant. If I got stuck on a few, I would look them up and write them down. I did the same for listening. I did about three past papers for each one then called it a night :smile:

Best of luck with your exams!!
Honestly... No. :smile: Most of those words will just never come up! I found one really helpful way was going through reading paper exams and just trying to check I knew what most of the words meant. If I got stuck on a few, I would look them up and write them down. I did the same for listening. I did about three past papers for each one then called it a night :smile:

Best of luck with your exams!!

Thanks and what was your mark in the reading papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Cobbold
Thanks and what was your mark in the reading papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my actual GCSE? 93 UMS for listening (it was such a hard paper!) and 98 for reading, or something like that. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest