The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Postgraduate Applicants/Offer Holders 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yellow 03
Such a bizarre move: I received a notification that there is an "update or a decision" on my application and I should check it online. So I am there in a nano-second, and I see that a single document has been reviewed (one of my transcripts) and has the status "Document OK". Everything else is "Not yet reviewed".

What on earth...? Why only review one?!

At least something changed when you received it. I got a couple of fake ones. Nothing changed on my app, when I checked :biggrin:
They are just weird like that :wink:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 161
Such a bizarre move: I received a notification that there is an "update or a decision" on my application and I should check it online. So I am there in a nano-second, and I see that a single document has been reviewed (one of my transcripts) and has the status "Document OK". Everything else is "Not yet reviewed".

I think they didn't bother to change the status of all your documents. My references are still 'not yet reviewed'. :rolleyes:
Original post by YulianaRus
At least something changed when you received it. I got a couple of fake ones. Nothing changed on my app, when I checked :biggrin:
They are just weird like that :wink:

Original post by Josb
I think they didn't bother to change the status of all your documents. My references are still 'not yet reviewed'. :rolleyes:

Thanks both, it's reassuring to know that this is just the way things seem to work! I'll wait to see what happens next. :K:

Same response, after I requested an update. It took them a month to get back to me. Does not bode well re: administration...

I kind of feel like if their communication is so off now, why would I expect it to change if I studied there?

It was going to be a close call between UCL and King's, if I got into both. Pretty much done waiting for a response. Accepted UCL.
Original post by dear_tristesse
Same response, after I requested an update. It took them a month to get back to me. Does not bode well re: administration...

I kind of feel like if their communication is so off now, why would I expect it to change if I studied there?

It was going to be a close call between UCL and King's, if I got into both. Pretty much done waiting for a response. Accepted UCL.

I know, the randomness of it all is quite worrying... Congratulations on your UCL offer! What will you study there?

I was so keen on KCL that I did not apply to UCL, I'm kind of regretting it now, although I do have an offer from Birkbeck already.
I know, the randomness of it all is quite worrying... Congratulations on your UCL offer! What will you study there?

I was so keen on KCL that I did not apply to UCL, I'm kind of regretting it now, although I do have an offer from Birkbeck already.

From what I understand, Birkbeck is great! I'll be there for MA Philosophy. I applied to Sheffield, Birmingham, UCL, and Kent as safety. They all provided offers within a month. They all fare well in the Philosophical Gourmet report, so American schools should appreciate that when I apply for PhDs in the States.

Are UCL apps on a rolling basis? Maybe you can still apply?
Reply 166
Firmed for the MSc in Neuroscience. :smile:

What are my chances of getting a spot in Champion hill accommodation if I'm an overseas student? Also what are the alternatives to Champion hill given I'll be studying on the denmark hill campus?
Original post by Jaafa
Firmed for the MSc in Neuroscience. :smile:

What are my chances of getting a spot in Champion hill accommodation if I'm an overseas student? Also what are the alternatives to Champion hill given I'll be studying on the denmark hill campus?

Chances are extremely high as you'll be given preference. There are A LOT of international students on the course (I'm currently doing the MSc neuroscience at king's) and those who I know applied for champion hill all got it. To be honest, you're best off going with champion hill residence as it's a 5-10 minute walk from the Denmark Hill campus depending on how fast you walk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dear_tristesse
From what I understand, Birkbeck is great! I'll be there for MA Philosophy. I applied to Sheffield, Birmingham, UCL, and Kent as safety. They all provided offers within a month. They all fare well in the Philosophical Gourmet report, so American schools should appreciate that when I apply for PhDs in the States.

Are UCL apps on a rolling basis? Maybe you can still apply?

Thanks for that, I'm also applying for the Philosophy MA. :grin:

I had a look at the UCL website, it looks like a great course but the deadline for applications is long gone (1 February). I'm not giving up on KCL yet though. I had my heart set on that course from the beginning, as it suits what I want to study slightly better than other courses, so I'll try to stick out the ineffectual communication and hope it works out!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by santi_92
Chances are extremely high as you'll be given preference. There are A LOT of international students on the course (I'm currently doing the MSc neuroscience at king's) and those who I know applied for champion hill all got it. To be honest, you're best off going with champion hill residence as it's a 5-10 minute walk from the Denmark Hill campus depending on how fast you walk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thats good to know. It's hard finding information about it that isn't vague. Hope you've been enjoying the course so far!
Original post by Jaafa
Cool thats good to know. It's hard finding information about it that isn't vague. Hope you've been enjoying the course so far!

Yeah it's a great course, you'll enjoy it. There have been a few issues with the course and the IOPPN as a whole, but we've taken steps to rectify them so hopefully your class won't experience the issues we did.

Feel free to message me with any questions you might have.

edit: I realised it sounds like I work for the uni lol. I don't, but I'm on the student forum and we basically represent the students at the IoPPN.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 171
Any social science and public policy full time post graduates for 2015? Also, anyone from the USA- where are you going to be living?! It's been hard for me online to tell which accommodation would be best.
Original post by mmp0006
Any social science and public policy full time post graduates for 2015? Also, anyone from the USA- where are you going to be living?! It's been hard for me online to tell which accommodation would be best.

Hey there! I will be under the same faculty as you. Actually, i was just as confused since I am also an international student and not familiar at all with London.

But once you accept/firm your offer, they would bring you to the accomodation site and there is a map that indicates quite clearly which campuses are nearer to which hall. My programme will be at waterloo so the stamford accomodation is the closest.

It's crazy expensive though! I am exploring private rent to compare the prices.
Reply 173
Oh great! Are you post-graduate as well? I've been looking online at accommodation so I can fill out my picks but I'm unfamiliar with London as well and am not sure if the different areas are good places to be or what. I didn't think you could live at Samford if you are post-grad?

Have you found private accommodation to be equally as expensive?

Thanks for the help!
Original post by mmp0006
Oh great! Are you post-graduate as well? I've been looking online at accommodation so I can fill out my picks but I'm unfamiliar with London as well and am not sure if the different areas are good places to be or what. I didn't think you could live at Samford if you are post-grad?

Have you found private accommodation to be equally as expensive?

Thanks for the help!

No worries! Glad to help :smile: yes i am doing my postgrad as well. Pricing for accomodation are relative and largely depending on which part of london. But within that area are similar and sometimes cheaper. And also i realise to be mindful that unlike the KCL residences rental costs which includes council tax and utilities, many private acc does not indicate it clearly.

Oh i downloaded the tube map which is an app so while exploring private acc, you can use it as a point of reference. Best of luck!
Original post by mmp0006

Hi! I'm from the States and will be in the War Studies MA program this fall :smile: Just applied directly to Urbanest Westminster Bridge (WBSA) for housing, which was recently added to the KCL accommodation page but must be booked directly (not via the housing portal, which opens in June for us). It's expensive, but brand new and is in a fantastic location. Excited!
Reply 176
Hey! Awesome. Yes I looked at Urbanest seems pretty cool. Is it only post-graduate? Have you found anything helpful as far as where students in the past have lived or what parts of London are more suitable?

Also, have you looked into what the best flights to get to/from London from the states are, I'm not sure if any of them have student discounts?

thanks!
Reply 177
Any MSc Clinical Neuroscience @ KCL offer holders here? or any current/past students on that course?
Reply 178
Original post by Mobs25
Any MSc Clinical Neuroscience @ KCL offer holders here? or any current/past students on that course?

Hi ;-) I received an offer for MSc Clinical Neuroscience at UCL. To be honest I did not even apply to KCL and UCL is my first choice. Have you applied to UCL as well? or any other courses? If no, why did you choose KCL?
Reply 179
Hey! I'm from India and I'll be starting my MA Cultural and Creative Industries, this September.

Anyone else on the same programme or in the CMCI department?

Great to see an active thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest