The Student Room Group

When is a joke a joke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sneferu
And by doing that it's basically saying that it is a tragedy like the shooting. Which it is n't at all. At least have the imagination to come up with a original hashtag, instead of using one which was to mark the heinous nature of a crime. There's boundaries and this is one of them.

Nobody has said or even tried to compare it to the shooting. You are simply being dramatic. Also there are no boundaries with comedy, someone will find it funny no matter how offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Nobody has said or even tried to compare it to the shooting. You are simply being dramatic. Also there are no boundaries with comedy, someone will find it funny no matter how offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it's jumping onto the same hash tag to describe the shooting , that's already a statement about it comparing it to the shooting. If they used their own imagination in creating a hash tag, I would be fine with it. And so would most other people. There are boundaries with comedy. Such as personal boundaries etc. For example, I like Dark comedy, but when it goes too far it stops being funny it becomes tedious and annoying.
Everything is a joke. Your pitiful existence. Mine. Everything is mad laughter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sneferu
But it's jumping onto the same hash tag to describe the shooting , that's already a statement about it comparing it to the shooting. If they used their own imagination in creating a hash tag, I would be fine with it. And so would most other people. There are boundaries with comedy. Such as personal boundaries etc. For example, I like Dark comedy, but when it goes too far it stops being funny it becomes tedious and annoying.

It is not comparing them, it is you being over sensitive and over dramatic.

It stops being funny to you but it will still be funny to other people. That us the nature of comedy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
It is not comparing them, it is you being over sensitive and over dramatic.

It stops being funny to you but it will still be funny to other people. That us the nature of comedy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have little evidence for me being sensitive and over dramatic. Please stop with that. It is becoming rather tedious, just like Jesuis Clarkson itself.
That doesn't really have much relevance.
Reply 25
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Humour is one of the ways we as a society explore the unexplored. We investigate our comfort zones, push out a boundary and see who we really are. If you find a joke offensive you've learnt more about yourself, what you draw the line at and what you don't find amusing.

Nobody can really ask people not to make jokes, and quite frankly as a society we would benefit from people thanking the people who offended them as it teaches a person so much more than silence would.

We Brits have an odd sense of humour no doubt, in other countries they manage to joke without offending other people. I have no idea what sort of Satanism this is, but there is nothing more annoying than some **** who thinks he is funny but is just offensive or boring.

Quick Reply

Latest