The Student Room Group

I’m overthinking about this guy.

There’s this boy I sit next to in one of my lessons. At the start of the year we didn’t speak at all, but he was very considerate and polite.

Then he started to make little one-sided jokes and I would laugh along but I don’t know how to respond so I wouldn’t. Then he would ask me little questions about the work and I would answer briefly. Later he would start joking with me because I messed a few things up, like the work. It was funny and I would respond very little. Bare in mind, I liked him so it made it harder to respond.

Then he sort of stops talking as much to me and he gives me this sassy attitude. It was his tone mostly but also the words. Like he pointed out that I wasn’t very nice to my friends and I replied saying I was very nice to my friends. He responded with it was a joke and he also asked when we would be able to move seats.

He stopped talking to me all together since my friend sort of flipped him off, my friend said he was giving dirty looks to them. I just don’t know what to do. I want to talk to him but I don’t know what about and I don’t want him to be rude and annoyed at me either. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous #1
There’s this boy I sit next to in one of my lessons. At the start of the year we didn’t speak at all, but he was very considerate and polite.

Then he started to make little one-sided jokes and I would laugh along but I don’t know how to respond so I wouldn’t. Then he would ask me little questions about the work and I would answer briefly. Later he would start joking with me because I messed a few things up, like the work. It was funny and I would respond very little. Bare in mind, I liked him so it made it harder to respond.

Then he sort of stops talking as much to me and he gives me this sassy attitude. It was his tone mostly but also the words. Like he pointed out that I wasn’t very nice to my friends and I replied saying I was very nice to my friends. He responded with it was a joke and he also asked when we would be able to move seats.

He stopped talking to me all together since my friend sort of flipped him off, my friend said he was giving dirty looks to them. I just don’t know what to do. I want to talk to him but I don’t know what about and I don’t want him to be rude and annoyed at me either. Any advice?
Hi not to be offensive but you missed his social cues (several times even). Do you have autism? I have it and it's something I had trouble with in the past. When we get used to them it's called 'masking' which is learned behavior to fit in hope this helps x
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2

Hi not to be offensive but you missed his social cues (several times even). Do you have autism? I have it and it's something I had trouble with in the past. When we get used to them it's called 'masking' which is learned behavior to fit in hope this helps x

What do you mean by social clues? I don’t have autism, at least I don’t think. I feel like I’m just really stupid when it comes to clicking onto things like that? Please could you elaborate more on “masking”? If you don’t mind!

What do you mean by social clues? I don’t have autism, at least I don’t think. I feel like I’m just really stupid when it comes to clicking onto things like that? Please could you elaborate more on “masking”? If you don’t mind!Hi cues not clues. It's basically human natural of communication but people with autism don't quite get them. So we learn to laugh in response when we think the situation is comical. I can't explain it all in one message it's a complex topic so if you have time to research it please do. Masking is just learning how to cope with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending