The Student Room Group

dads gross jokes

my dad made a weird joke while he was looking at events online, he told my mum there was a speed dating event for 20-30s should he go? 'what do you think?'

she ignored and barely responded but i had an argument after that. my mum has been cheated on by a previous husband wth a younger woman and i thought it was such a cheap disappointing joke, and he acts SUPER strict and conservative.

when i said he shouldn't say stuff like that he rolled his eyes and huffed and acted like i was a pest.

What do you think?
Reply 1
Your Dad might just have a wicked sense of humour and if he is an 'old duffer' it could be his way of poking fun at the world?

I think if he was really serious he wouldn't say it out loud. Your Mum's issue in a previous marriage should really be history and is not an indicator of it happening all over again. You cannot live in the past only learn from it, and here you might have to leave them both to sort out their own battles

This 'joke' might just be a war wound for you though, something that is just under the surface? If you happen to feel threatened by your Mum's response or are still affected by the hurt you saw her go through? If you are worried about their relationship and feel affected do see if you can get some support for yourself through welfare services at college or Uni? Maybe they can signpost you to someone you could talk it through with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending