The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alabelle
Hurray! I finish tomorrow too. Got to get all of my planning signed off before then though which is stressful to say the least :frown: one more day! We can do it! :biggrin:

Yeah ive come home and had a total crash, feel absolutely rubbish this evening, sick and everything. Think my body is wierded out by me actually winding down!
Original post by Ratchit99
Yeah ive come home and had a total crash, feel absolutely rubbish this evening, sick and everything. Think my body is wierded out by me actually winding down!

This is a teaching phenomenon. Adrenalin keeps you going to the end of term, then the crash hits you all over the holidays.
Original post by Sam89
I know the feeling paradoxsocks - I don't know if I want to be a teacher anymore, I know this has been a valuable experience but I really would like to go back into an office and sit quietly doing my job, I did have the odd presentation here and there but it wasn't 6 periods a day 5 days a week - heck even if it's admin hand me it - not teaching though, I feel exhausted all the time no matter how much I rest, at the back of my mind I still know I have lesson plans pending, lesson resources to make, that pesky little student who just will not listen nor respond to any form of discipline, marking to do, assessment levels to figure out... holidays, what holidays? All gone on planning your term. Sighs.

I know I'm organised and I can do it - but do I want to exhaust myself in my early 20s?

I must have aged atleast 5 years in the short amount of time I have worked, hair falling out in clumps, refusal to eat because of sheer stress and lack of appetite, anxiety, physical health taken a toll - worth it? No. I love my kids, I really do, but I need to love myself first. Have decided I'm either going part time or not doing it at all.

I feel that way sometimes too, I am in my 20s and often think do I want the rest of my working life to be like this? I knew it would be a tough choice of career with a lot of work but it is never ending. I like the idea of part time too if only to gain a work/life balance. I am looking for a supportive school but have not applied for any jobs recently. People go on about the holidays but I have been ill since mine began - not really enjoying it!!

I've had this twice now - the end of my first placement and the start of the Easter holidays. Not fun.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
There are just so many boxes that repeat themselves in different ways that I don't feel any kind of positivity towards the lesson plan at all.

I'd rather make my own template with all of the bits I need and go with that so I think that is my plan. If I can make that work then I'll feel so much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by tory88
I completely feel you about lesson planning. My university plan is full of so much that's not really useful for me to think about but is time consuming. I can see the point of every box for the start of the course, but a lot of it just feels needless.

I've started rough-sketching my lessons on a scrap of paper - giving timings and activities - and then typing them up and I've found it way easier. I'm glad you're more positive today, I guess it wouldn't be the PGCE without those "I'll never be able to do this" moments XD

Tell me about it. The only bit of my lesson plan I actually use is the script where I write down the order of activities. Everything else is useless and the uni lesson plan is dire. My mentor told me to change it, even though we were told not to, but I did anyway cos if uni complain I'll just say it was my mentor's suggestion.

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
This is a teaching phenomenon. Adrenalin keeps you going to the end of term, then the crash hits you all over the holidays.

I see what you mean about the adrenalin! I have been ill all week but when I'm in the classroom I can battle through just fine. It's when I get home that I crash. Currently laid in bed right now trying to plan my last few lessons before tomorrow but my brain feels like it's full of sludge!

Looking forward to the holidays but very aware that I have an essay and all my teaching standards to evidence :frown:
Original post by Airfairy
Tell me about it. The only bit of my lesson plan I actually use is the script where I write down the order of activities. Everything else is useless and the uni lesson plan is dire. My mentor told me to change it, even though we were told not to, but I did anyway cos if uni complain I'll just say it was my mentor's suggestion.

Can you talk to someone at uni about this? When my uni mentor came in to observe me, she found out I had been creating my own lesson plans in addition to the uni format. She wasn't very happy because it was just a waste of my time. Instead, she showed me a way to plan that incorporated everything I needed without wasting words.
I see what you mean about the adrenalin! I have been ill all week but when I'm in the classroom I can battle through just fine. It's when I get home that I crash. Currently laid in bed right now trying to plan my last few lessons before tomorrow but my brain feels like it's full of sludge!

Looking forward to the holidays but very aware that I have an essay and all my teaching standards to evidence :frown:

I'm afraid that really is just how it is. The summer holidays are great, but the rest of the year's holidays are often spent with the first week ill in bed, until you've built up an immunity to the local germs.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid that really is just how it is. The summer holidays are great, but the rest of the year's holidays are often spent with the first week ill in bed, until you've built up an immunity to the local germs.

Can't wait to build up some immunity! Thought I had a good immune system til this :tongue: Luckily it's worth it, I've just found myself getting all excited about lines of longitude and latitude because I'm planning right now! Seems daft but I love all the activities you can do in primary.
An application form I'm filling out is asking for my 'areas of responsibility' for current and last placement. I'm unsure what to put. What would you all say?

Teaching (obvs)
Marking
Planning
Evaluating

Looks pretty sparse if I just put that...but I feel that is literally all I do in a cycle at the moment haha.
Can you talk to someone at uni about this? When my uni mentor came in to observe me, she found out I had been creating my own lesson plans in addition to the uni format. She wasn't very happy because it was just a waste of my time. Instead, she showed me a way to plan that incorporated everything I needed without wasting words.

We all mentioned it to uni, and they just stuck to their guns and said we need to use their lesson plan. I altered it last time though, and my uni mentor checked but didn't notice. I don't think most of the staff at uni know what it is actually supposed to look like so they can't tell if we change it :ninja: :lol: .
Can't wait to build up some immunity! Thought I had a good immune system til this :tongue: Luckily it's worth it, I've just found myself getting all excited about lines of longitude and latitude because I'm planning right now! Seems daft but I love all the activities you can do in primary.

Well, after a few years you manage to avoid many things.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
There are just so many boxes that repeat themselves in different ways that I don't feel any kind of positivity towards the lesson plan at all.

I'd rather make my own template with all of the bits I need and go with that so I think that is my plan. If I can make that work then I'll feel so much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know jelly hasn't had much luck at it but it's definitely worth speaking to your mentor and see if if they're happy for you to just change. By the end of my first block placement I was using my own plans which were a mix between what I'd designed and the schools, but made sure the things the uni really wanted were covered. I also changed the way I used some sections to a way which made more sense/helped me more.

For my second placement I used the schools own lesson plans almost all he time. I did occasionally give a more detailed individual lesson plan at the start.

The uni shouldn't want you to repeat yourself, it's a waste of everyone's time. And it's also very good practice to get used to using different schools lessons plans as you're likely to have to next year.

Regarding illness... I also thought I had a good immune system, and honestly still do, but I have been ill once a year since teaching which is loads for me. When in nursery this year I even had a terrible cold, felt absolutely exhausted... The first time ever in memory that I've had to take time off ill without throwing up. I felt horrific missing work. And in all the times I've been ill I've definitely had the adrenaline kicking in, and then when I get to lunch or home time my body just gives up lol.

Having said all that I'm ill now while not currently working, and I would say its the worst night of illness I've ever had. Thankfully feeling much better now, so hopefully on the road to recovery and can drink some water in a few hours!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5732
Hi, i'm planning to apply for a pgce in citizenship early May for the year 2015-2016, i was wandering whether universities still accept late applications and what chances i have of actually getting offered a place? I only hav two weeks of work experience and a few hours of mentoring. Thank you.
Original post by mehal
Hi, i'm planning to apply for a pgce in citizenship early May for the year 2015-2016, i was wandering whether universities still accept late applications and what chances i have of actually getting offered a place? I only hav two weeks of work experience and a few hours of mentoring. Thank you.

There are still some vacancies (see here)so it's definitely worth a shot. You have the minimum level of experience, so your application will be considered. Beyond that it depends on how strong a candidate you are, but I would recommend arranging some more school experience if possible - both because you can put this on your application and the more time you spend in schools the better prepared you will be.
Reply 5734
Thank you. would primary school work experience be ok?
Original post by mehal

For secondary, keep it focused on secondary.

I managed to apply late and with only 3 days experience and somehow I crept through past a few other candidates I thought would be better at the course. Just apply and see what happens!
Reply 5736
Original post by diamondsky89
I feel that way sometimes too, I am in my 20s and often think do I want the rest of my working life to be like this? I knew it would be a tough choice of career with a lot of work but it is never ending. I like the idea of part time too if only to gain a work/life balance. I am looking for a supportive school but have not applied for any jobs recently. People go on about the holidays but I have been ill since mine began - not really enjoying it!!

Same here!! I have been ill ever since Friday, can't even enjoy watching rubbish telly that's how bad it is -_-

I have been offered a part time job at a school, I don't know if I should take it or hold out for one with better hours.
Ahh PGCE planning! I remember when my uni tutor came and literally looked into each and every single word - it was a scrutiny I had never experienced. He even picked up on the language used and wrote on it 'do not use slang in plans'. I had written kids as opposed to children. Of course it wasn't good enough and I was put on for CfC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Ahh PGCE planning! I remember when my uni tutor came and literally looked into each and every single word - it was a scrutiny I had never experienced. He even picked up on the language used and wrote on it 'do not use slang in plans'. I had written kids as opposed to children. Of course it wasn't good enough and I was put on for CfC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hold on, you got put on for CfC because you have written 'kids' on your detailed lesson plan? Talk about too much.
Original post by mehal

Lots of universities will ask for 1 week of primary school experience to be completed as part of the PGCE, but this is something that should be done once you have a place. For now, focus on secondary school experience, and get involved as much as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending