The Student Room Group

Imperial Chemistry or UCL Chemical Engineering?

Received offers for both of these courses however don't know which to pick, what degree would be better in terms of flexibility, salary, employability and a more well respected degree, taking into account the university aswell,

which university is better at the given course:

imperial chemistry
or
UCL chemical engineering?

which one would you go for?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to work as a chemist pick Imperial
If you want to work as a chemical engineer pick UCL
If you want to work as anything else pick either
Original post by Bhups
If you want to work as a chemist pick Imperial
If you want to work as a chemical engineer pick UCL
If you want to work as anything else pick either

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Reply 3
extremely useful :smile: lool
a chemistry degree is very different to a chemical engineering degree

i would rather hang myself than do a chemistry degree at imperial
Reply 5
whys that?
Original post by troll1232
Received offers for both of these courses however don't know which to pick, what degree would be better in terms of flexibility, salary, employability and a more well respected degree, taking into account the university aswell,

which university is better at the given course:

imperial chemistry
or
UCL chemical engineering?

which one would you go for?

imperial whatever the course (woudld have to be a stem one though)
Reply 7
Original post by Ilovemaths96
imperial whatever the course (woudld have to be a stem one though)

yeah i was thinking that, only thing is, is a chem eng degree that much better that its worth going ucl for?
yeah i was thinking that, only thing is, is a chem eng degree that much better that its worth going ucl for?

its not by luck that imperial is consistently ranked in top 10 universities in the world. The name imperial is very appealing to an employer i'm sure
Reply 9
hmm this is a hard choice
hmm this is a hard choice

toss a coin?
Reply 11
You can do more with chemical engineering than chemistry.

Chemical engineering is mostly physics and maths. Little chemistry involved.

Sell your soul to the devil and go into banking.
Reply 12
Original post by plasmaman
toss a coin?

hahahah i like that! might actually do that
Reply 13
Original post by vela1
You can do more with chemical engineering than chemistry.

Chemical engineering is mostly physics and maths. Little chemistry involved.

Sell your soul to the devil and go into banking.

yeah, can probably get into banking with either degree, what would be better to have tho you reckon, esp for banking, chem eng from UCL or chem from imperial?

as from what I've heard imperial is more prestigious and reputable than UCL, however, Chem Eng is better than Chem xD
Reply 14
yeah, can probably get into banking with either degree, what would be better to have tho you reckon, esp for banking, chem eng from UCL or chem from imperial?

as from what I've heard imperial is more prestigious and reputable than UCL, however, Chem Eng is better than Chem xD

Doesn't matter, both unis are targets. If you really want to go into banking, choose the degree you have the most interest in. If banking is a back up, do you enjoy chemistry or physics?
Reply 15
Original post by vela1
Doesn't matter, both unis are targets. If you really want to go into banking, choose the degree you have the most interest in. If banking is a back up, do you enjoy chemistry or physics?

enjoy chemistry a lot more, but don't wanna end up as a lab technician if i do a chem degree as that seems like the most common outcome, don't like physics much but i can live it with it
Reply 16
enjoy chemistry a lot more, but don't wanna end up as a lab technician if i do a chem degree as that seems like the most common outcome, don't like physics much but i can live it with it

Do chem eng then. You can always go into finance in the end if thats what you want. Its hard to know what job you think you'll be doing after graduation at this point so its best to keep your options open. You can do loads with a chemical engineering degree, even apply for some roles open to chemists. On the flip side, a chemist is rarely eligible for a chemical engineering role.
Reply 17
Original post by vela1
Do chem eng then. You can always go into finance in the end if thats what you want. Its hard to know what job you think you'll be doing after graduation at this point so its best to keep your options open. You can do loads with a chemical engineering degree, even apply for some roles open to chemists. On the flip side, a chemist is rarely eligible for a chemical engineering role.

been hearing this a lot, thanks a lot btw! yeah.. sounds reasonable, maybe i will go for chem eng, UCL Is probably almost on imperials level anyway
Reply 18
been hearing this a lot, thanks a lot btw! yeah.. sounds reasonable, maybe i will go for chem eng, UCL Is probably almost on imperials level anyway

No wukkas :wink:
Reply 19
:smile: any more opinions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending