The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Music 2015 Technical Study Bach Chorales

I've just seen the technical study for the A2 course this year. My school is doing number 2, the Bach one. Any ideas for how to complete? Is it an actual chorale by Bach or a made up one by Edexcel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's one created by Edexcel in the style of Bach
Reply 2
What is the 2015 Bach Chorale question like? Surely some schools/people will have access to the paper outside controlled conditions! A picture is probably a bit too much - but anybody at least remember how the melody goes?
Reply 3
I don't get to see it for at least another week! I'm surprised there's a lack of people putting information online
Reply 4
Original post by Prince97
I don't get to see it for at least another week! I'm surprised there's a lack of people putting information online

Are you doing it under exam conditions? How long do you get to do it?
Reply 5
Original post by kavstar
What is the 2015 Bach Chorale question like? Surely some schools/people will have access to the paper outside controlled conditions! A picture is probably a bit too much - but anybody at least remember how the melody goes?

It's a really weird one, and the key seems a bit ambiguous to me. Maybe other people thought differently? But I think that perhaps this makes it easier as there isn't a set way of answering it - it's open to individual interpretation
Reply 6
Original post by Wheatleyred
I'm doing mine tomorrow and I'm freaking out!!! Do you know if it's major or minor?

Difficult to tell between E Minor and G Major, to be honest. Seems to start and finish in E Minor though. Good luck!!:smile:
We get to see ours tomorrow for the first time! Do the cadence points look pretty standard, or are they a bit 'out there'?
Reply 8
Original post by jothtaylor
We get to see ours tomorrow for the first time! Do the cadence points look pretty standard, or are they a bit 'out there'?

Again, it's open to interpretation, I think. I suppose there is a standard way of doing it, but I didn't spot it quickly enough and did some quick wacky ones. Do you have to do it under timed exam conditions?
Original post by cookieanon
Again, it's open to interpretation, I think. I suppose there is a standard way of doing it, but I didn't spot it quickly enough and did some quick wacky ones. Do you have to do it under timed exam conditions?

Yeah I think we do, but the timings will be rough so i think we will just do it in the space of 3 lessons!
Reply 10
Yeah I think we do, but the timings will be rough so i think we will just do it in the space of 3 lessons!

It doesn't seem to be that strict... But different schools and colleges seem to have very different attitudes. How much prep have you done for it?
It doesn't seem to be that strict... But different schools and colleges seem to have very different attitudes. How much prep have you done for it?

One of my friends who is at a different school has had to do theirs like a real exam, which is awful. Its pretty dodgy how different schools will do it in such different ways! Prep wise we've done a few past ones in class along with practicing individual cadence points (a bit like the AS chorale part) so I feel pretty well prepped! How about you? And have you been allowed to use Sibelius?
Reply 12
One of my friends who is at a different school has had to do theirs like a real exam, which is awful. Its pretty dodgy how different schools will do it in such different ways! Prep wise we've done a few past ones in class along with practicing individual cadence points (a bit like the AS chorale part) so I feel pretty well prepped! How about you? And have you been allowed to use Sibelius?

There really should be just one way of doing it. Either its coursework or not.
We haven't done much prep at all. Early on in the year we did some cadence work and basic rules, but hardly anything since then!

On a different note (bad unintended musical pun) how is everyone planning on revising for the unit 6 exam? How many pieces can we afford to not revise?
On a different note (bad unintended musical pun) how is everyone planning on revising for the unit 6 exam? How many pieces can we afford to not revise?

For the Instrumental ones I'm going for flashcards for each piece for each element (MRS HITT Or MR ****T). For the applied i'll just revise all but the gamelan as thats the worst one by far. If you think about it even if the gamelan comes up, you still won't have to answer it as you can choose 2 from 3! The same goes for the instrumental but i haven't decided which one I won't revise yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
For the Instrumental ones I'm going for flashcards for each piece for each element (MRS HITT Or MR ****T). For the applied i'll just revise all but the gamelan as thats the worst one by far. If you think about it even if the gamelan comes up, you still won't have to answer it as you can choose 2 from 3! The same goes for the instrumental but i haven't decided which one I won't revise yet.

Same, we haven't even learnt the gamelan or cage piece yet so I probably won't revise them. We can't afford to not revise two imstrumental pieces, can we? I'm revising by typing up notes on each of the sections. Is there any way we can share notes to see if we're on the right tracks?
Same, we haven't even learnt the gamelan or cage piece yet so I probably won't revise them. We can't afford to not revise two imstrumental pieces, can we? I'm revising by typing up notes on each of the sections. Is there any way we can share notes to see if we're on the right tracks?

I think theres an upload tool somewhere, also i found some notes online which i'll upload tomorrow! What grade did you get last year?
Reply 16
I think theres an upload tool somewhere, also i found some notes online which i'll upload tomorrow! What grade did you get last year?

I'll try and suss it out tomorrow. Everything I've seen so far requires a paid subscription to TSR. I got a B at AS, three marks off an A. My composition dragged me down! How about you?
I'll try and suss it out tomorrow. Everything I've seen so far requires a paid subscription to TSR. I got a B at AS, three marks off an A. My composition dragged me down! How about you?

I got a C last year, I was really gutted as I got 100% in the performance but then a D in the exam and a big fat U in the composition. So I'm re-taking my AS comp so can get my overall grade back up to a B which is what I need for uni
Reply 18
I got a C last year, I was really gutted as I got 100% in the performance but then a D in the exam and a big fat U in the composition. So I'm re-taking my AS comp so can get my overall grade back up to a B which is what I need for uni

That's a shame. Good idea to retake it. I'm just trying to figure out the uploading thing. There should be something attached to this. If there is, I hope it's helpful and in some way relevant! Please do let me know if it needs to change in any way.
That's a shame. Good idea to retake it. I'm just trying to figure out the uploading thing. There should be something attached to this. If there is, I hope it's helpful and in some way relevant! Please do let me know if it needs to change in any way.

That looks fab! Cheers. I'll Upload some PDF revision sheets when I get into school today (I have 3 frees in the morning :biggrin:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending