The Student Room Group

Cambridge music application

Can anyone give some help on the Cambridge interview process for music ie example questions and ‘admissions tests’ etc.

I’m studying the Eduqas syllabus for A-level which is very limited as to breadth of knowledge (only 1750-onwards symphonic works and no chorales) so I’m trying to cover all bases at the moment.

Is keyboard harmony still assessed as part of the interview? Teaching myself chorales but there’s no way I could manage to harmonise one impromptu at the keyboard.
Reply 1
Original post by JacobPC
Can anyone give some help on the Cambridge interview process for music ie example questions and ‘admissions tests’ etc.

I’m studying the Eduqas syllabus for A-level which is very limited as to breadth of knowledge (only 1750-onwards symphonic works and no chorales) so I’m trying to cover all bases at the moment.

Is keyboard harmony still assessed as part of the interview? Teaching myself chorales but there’s no way I could manage to harmonise one impromptu at the keyboard.

I am planning to apply this year as well. I have friends who study the course and here's what I understand. You will not be asked to harmonise one impromptu, that is a bit much to ask at this stage. In fact, you could get away without knowing any technical exercises at all. They only require submission of one or two technical exercises if possible (depending on the college, some require it, while some don't) but you won't be asked about it in the interview if you don't say that it is something you have particularly focused in. However, I would suggest having some chorale knowledge will make you a stronger applicant because of the underlying theoretical knowledge, which will help you answer analysis questions, which is what they ask more commonly in interviews.
Hi, I can't help much (as I did my degree at The Other Place, i.e. Oxford) but Nicholas Cook's Music: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford Uni Press) is a good introduction to the types of topics that might be covered in the interview. Don't worry if you can't understand it, though: it took me three goes (the third go being during second year at Oxford) to be able to get my head around it properly :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending