The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JosephineE
Ohh that's such a good idea! what subject are you?
It's on Muslim pilgrimage. So I need to explain pilgrimage and what that means and why it's important to Muslims. But I'm not sure whether to go into depth about each day of pilgrimage and each group could look at a and feedback to the class but i'd only really have 15 mins for that.

I'm history, but humanities lend themselves to each other :smile:

Erm, I guess for a starter you could do like a word association exercise based on pictures and then revisit it at the end?

You could also do something which might be a bit difficult to explain, but show them a painting/picture of a muslim pilgrimage for 5 seconds and ask them to list all the things that they can see... Or, you could do 5 seconds per portion of the picture (top left, top right etc) and then revisit it at the end and use what they've learned in the lesson to point out features that they have learned about?

You could also give them a picture in pairs or soemthing with post it notes and get them to label what they think things are, revisit at the end with the correct labels?
I got shortlisted for my first interview. But I had a really bad week that I felt like crying at some point.

I'm finding it really really hard trying to get ready for my interview at the end of such a bad week.
Hello :smile:

Long time reading here of this thread - it has been super useful!
Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice please. I've been offered my first NQT interview and I'm very nervous. I have to teach a lesson for 30 minutes, I'm guessing they'll expect starter/explanation/activity/plenary set up even within this time?
Any advice about interview lessons and general tips for the interview would be fantastic, as I really want to get this job xx

Have clear aims for the lesson and make sure you communicate these to pupils at the start; spend a lot of time interacting with pupils and asking questions to extend their thinking as you walk around the class. As others have said, having a starter and plenary that mirror one another is a good idea - I tend to either have a difficult question that can be answered simply with little knowledge, but well at the end of the lesson (perhaps somethign like "according to the Koran, what should a good Muslim do" - I'm physics and maths so I'm sure you can do much better). Alternatively, I like to take pupils ideas about the lesson title and make them into a mind map, then return to this in the plenary and add as much more as possible - that way you're assessing both prior knowledge and what they have learned in the lesson with the same activity (and if you just get them to suggest things rapidly it's very quick too).
I had my second uni observation yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed with all the praise I got. I got outstanding and when I look back from where I came from I can't believe the progress I made. Only about a month ago I was thinking how I need to try and scrape a satisfactory so I can pass and now I'm here. I don't even know how...but I'm very pleased yet slightly annoyed that I still don't think teaching is for me, because apparently I can do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I had my second uni observation yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed with all the praise I got. I got outstanding and when I look back from where I came from I can't believe the progress I made. Only about a month ago I was thinking how I need to try and scrape a satisfactory so I can pass and now I'm here. I don't even know how...but I'm very pleased yet slightly annoyed that I still don't think teaching is for me, because apparently I can do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats thats awesome, well done :smile: the big thing is you know you can do it. You can make whatever choice you want afterwards and if you walk away but in a few years decide to try teaching again, atleast you know youve got a solid basis to work from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! I'm currently where you were a month ago. Hopefully I can pull myself up too. What helped you the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ratchit99
Congrats thats awesome, well done :smile: the big thing is you know you can do it. You can make whatever choice you want afterwards and if you walk away but in a few years decide to try teaching again, atleast you know youve got a solid basis to work from.

Thanks :smile: I know. It is nice to have the option and I'm still checking jobs to see what comes up.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Congrats! I'm currently where you were a month ago. Hopefully I can pull myself up too. What helped you the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I think what has really helped me is the change in placement school and mentor. I get really helpful feedback and such great support that I've known exactly which areas I need to work on. I know this isn't something you can change though, so it's hardly advice. However one thing that I think has significantly improved my teaching practice is getting to know my classes more. My mentors said that my strength is that I don't teach a class - I teach 30 individual pupils and know each one well. The thing is though, I know this isn't always possible. They have a weird system at my current school so I teach my year 7 class five times a week (for humanities) and my year 8 four times a week (for R.E.), whereas on my last placement it was once a week. I guess that depends on your timetable.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, I don't really know what I am doing differently to a month ago. I think my confidence has just grown over time and it is reflected in my teaching :dontknow: . But if you are anything like me, you are probably worrying over nothing. You are most likely doing better than you think you are. We get a lot of criticism on the PGCE, and not so many positives even if they are there. It is the first time that anyone told me all my strengths so they were clearly always there but no-one ever mentions them in meetings because it is all about what you are doing wrong so you can improve. Has your mentor expressed any concerns?
Hi all,

I come out as a very nice person who is just too nice in the classroom so the kids just walk all over me. I am teaching secondary Maths. I do try behavior management strategies but really struggle with keeping on top of it. This week has been the worse I have just lost both my classes to the point they don't listen to me at all. Because of this I am thinking that teaching is not for me at all. If I can't get them to pay attention there is no way I can teach.
I have been in school for a month now and kids have realised I am just a softie. I do want to be a teacher but looking at my own self and seeing my struggle it feels like a long way. I can't change myself overnight I am bit slow on picking up things and putting in practise this is not helping me at all.

Has anyone have a struggle like me? If you do please help. I don't come out as assertive and authorative in general day to day situation too and being in class and seeing myself struggling is just putting my hopes down.
Original post by lupuccho
Hi all,

I come out as a very nice person who is just too nice in the classroom so the kids just walk all over me. I am teaching secondary Maths. I do try behavior management strategies but really struggle with keeping on top of it. This week has been the worse I have just lost both my classes to the point they don't listen to me at all. Because of this I am thinking that teaching is not for me at all. If I can't get them to pay attention there is no way I can teach.
I have been in school for a month now and kids have realised I am just a softie. I do want to be a teacher but looking at my own self and seeing my struggle it feels like a long way. I can't change myself overnight I am bit slow on picking up things and putting in practise this is not helping me at all.

Has anyone have a struggle like me? If you do please help. I don't come out as assertive and authorative in general day to day situation too and being in class and seeing myself struggling is just putting my hopes down.

Behaviour management is, from what I've seen everywhere, the most common thing that trainees struggle with. It is hard and it is something that most people continue to work on for years.

But it does get better! You sound a little like me in that you can't just 'Use a strategy' and have it work, it's more about gaining confidence and in general changing the way you come across, which does happen in time. I am highly highly reliant on my relationship with the children (I could never teach secondary!) So for a good portion of one of my placements I just didn't know them well enough to have that rapport. Try focusing on one thing at a time, like voice, and don't worry thinking that it's not perfect... If you are slowly improving eventually you will get there.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Behaviour management is, from what I've seen everywhere, the most common thing that trainees struggle with. It is hard and it is something that most people continue to work on for years.But it does get better! You sound a little like me in that you can't just 'Use a strategy' and have it work, it's more about gaining confidence and in general changing the way you come across, which does happen in time. I am highly highly reliant on my relationship with the children (I could never teach secondary!) So for a good portion of one of my placements I just didn't know them well enough to have that rapport. Try focusing on one thing at a time, like voice, and don't worry thinking that it's not perfect... If you are slowly improving eventually you will get there.XxxPosted from TSR Mobile

I do feel that I am getting bit more assertive than before but when I raise my voice students just mocks me and continue to do what they are doing.. This is putting me off..
Bulding relationship also doesnot come naturally to me.. But I am working on it trying to get to know them as much as I can... I am just hoping that I can get their attention up to the standard that I can meet my teaching standard to pass this year... Because of this I am constant worried and this doesnot help when teaching in the class.
I do feel that I am getting bit more assertive than before but when I raise my voice students just mocks me and continue to do what they are doing.. This is putting me off..
Bulding relationship also doesnot come naturally to me.. But I am working on it trying to get to know them as much as I can... I am just hoping that I can get their attention up to the standard that I can meet my teaching standard to pass this year... Because of this I am constant worried and this doesnot help when teaching in the class.

I know it's easier said than done but really try to stop worrying, it's probably your biggest barrier as they will sense you feel out of control!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I come out as a very nice person who is just too nice in the classroom so the kids just walk all over me. I am teaching secondary Maths.

Hi Lupuccho

I have behaviour management struggles as well. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I used to teach in Asia, and my students respected teachers pretty much automatically. Imagine that! :eek:

It really grates because I get lots of praise from mentor/other observers for lesson planning/resources/marking/subject knowledge. In the past I have put my heart and soul into these things. But then they inevitably bring up 'you could still do better on behaviour management...you come across as too NICE'. And I get graded a 3 or (more rarely) 2 despite the other aspects of the lesson being allegedly so great.:rolleyes:

I know behaviour management is such a HUGE part of being a secondary teacher. It just feels like I shouldn't bother so much with other aspects since I seemingly can't nail the one thing that 'really matters.' (Sulky? Me??) I am not a complete walkover but at the same time I think I'm like you...not naturally authoritative.

Whew. Sorry, no tips to share. To be fair my mentor has been really helpful and given me a lot of 'strategies' But unlike tips for planning, marking etc I just can't seem to put them in place easily. She also pointed out that teachers with great behaviour management have had a long time to get to know the students, build relationships, put their expectations in place. We have to make all of this happen (somehow) in a matter of a few weeks.

I haven't applied for any jobs in secondary. I am looking into other options such as FE/Sixth form/tutoring/international schools.
Thanks :smile: I know. It is nice to have the option and I'm still checking jobs to see what comes up.

Thanks. I think what has really helped me is the change in placement school and mentor. I get really helpful feedback and such great support that I've known exactly which areas I need to work on. I know this isn't something you can change though, so it's hardly advice. However one thing that I think has significantly improved my teaching practice is getting to know my classes more. My mentors said that my strength is that I don't teach a class - I teach 30 individual pupils and know each one well. The thing is though, I know this isn't always possible. They have a weird system at my current school so I teach my year 7 class five times a week (for humanities) and my year 8 four times a week (for R.E.), whereas on my last placement it was once a week. I guess that depends on your timetable.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, I don't really know what I am doing differently to a month ago. I think my confidence has just grown over time and it is reflected in my teaching :dontknow: . But if you are anything like me, you are probably worrying over nothing. You are most likely doing better than you think you are. We get a lot of criticism on the PGCE, and not so many positives even if they are there. It is the first time that anyone told me all my strengths so they were clearly always there but no-one ever mentions them in meetings because it is all about what you are doing wrong so you can improve. Has your mentor expressed any concerns?

That's really useful actually. I'm starting to get to know my pupils better now and I'm going to spend this evening getting to know their data a little better too. I'm starting to pick out some of them now but I definitely know what you mean about it being easier once you know them. I won one of my more difficult groups of pupils over when they realised I love The Walking Dead almost as much as they do.

My school mentor is happy with me and said I'm making a lot of really positive progress - it's lesson planning that's holding me back so I'm going to just work my socks off to make it super explicit instead of just giving myself a bit of general guidance for each episode.

My uni mentor on the other hand talks like I'm an imminent failure and really makes my freak out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
That's really useful actually. I'm starting to get to know my pupils better now and I'm going to spend this evening getting to know their data a little better too. I'm starting to pick out some of them now but I definitely know what you mean about it being easier once you know them. I won one of my more difficult groups of pupils over when they realised I love The Walking Dead almost as much as they do.

My school mentor is happy with me and said I'm making a lot of really positive progress - it's lesson planning that's holding me back so I'm going to just work my socks off to make it super explicit instead of just giving myself a bit of general guidance for each episode.

My uni mentor on the other hand talks like I'm an imminent failure and really makes my freak out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See im the total opposite, my uni tutor is really positive about me and says im going to do really well, whereas at school im miserable and feel one step away from failing. I keep getting told I have all the basics but by the end of the course even i know thats not enough!!
Hello :smile:

Long time reading here of this thread - it has been super useful!
Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice please. I've been offered my first NQT interview and I'm very nervous. I have to teach a lesson for 30 minutes, I'm guessing they'll expect starter/explanation/activity/plenary set up even within this time?
Any advice about interview lessons and general tips for the interview would be fantastic, as I really want to get this job xx

Well done on getting an interview! I had my first NQT interview a few weeks back so I thought I'd tell you how I structured mine. Might be of some help?

Introduction - your name, what you're there to do (i.e.: teach them about ...)
Behaviour management - you need to do this straight away, before you start teaching them. Lay out your expectations up front. When you're talking, they're silent. When you clap your hands/count down to zero/ring a bell (whatever technique you use to get their attention) then they need to stop talking, put their pens down and look at you. Once you've got your expectations out there, they'll know where they stand with you.
Brief intro/starter - Introduce the topic - Afl - what do they already know? How confident do they feel in that subject etc? This will help you know how to differentiate. Model anything you need to model.
Main task - about 10-15 mins I'd say. Mini-plenaries if necessary. Show clear differentiation and have a challenge for those that might finish early.
Plenary - ask them how they felt about the task, what strategies did they use, how would they do it different next time etc.

Feel free to DM me if you want any more detail on my lesson plan or questions I got asked at the interview.
Aah I have been shortlisted for an interview...my first one. Any tips?? :biggrin:
The children who are on pupil premium- are they also children entitled to free school meals? Are fsm and pp chn interchangeable? I know all primary kids up to yr 3 are now having free school meals but before this
Ahh a fellow r.e. trainee. Is Muslim Pilgrimage the same as Hajj?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Muslim pilgrimage would cover Hajj but also Umrah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's excellent news! Even if you do decide to leave teaching it's still great to know it was definitely your choice, and that you obviously made a lot of progress over the year. Well done!

Hi all,

Pick on or two things that you really care about - if I were you it would be talking when someone else is talking (my pet hate). Start the lesson by saying you were really unhappy with how much it happened last time, and that you don't expect it to happen at all in the lesson. If it does (and it will), give on verbal warning and then come down as hard as possible - either throw the pupil out or give them a short detention (just something like "e'll have to have a discussion after school about why you think that's acceptable). The verbal warnign should give a choice - "if you do that again we're going to have to have a chat after school". I also find it useful to run informal 10-minute detention after the lesson if it runs into break, lunch or after school - they're way more effective than it feels like they should be.

That's how I approached a year 8 class I'd completely lost in my first placement anyway - it took 3 or 4 lessons where I had an awful lot of pupils in detention, but then they got the message.
Original post by Striving92
The children who are on pupil premium- are they also children entitled to free school meals? Are fsm and pp chn interchangeable? I know all primary kids up to yr 3 are now having free school meals but before this

Pupil premium is a slightly broader group. It includes FSM pupils but also pupils who used to be FSM within a certain number of years (5, I think). There is a name for this category but I can't remember it... Also I seem to recall something about children in care automatically being pp as well, but I'm not sure about that bit! Basically pupil premium are the children who get the extra funding, and they don't take that away as soon as a family's income passes the threshold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending