The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
Thoughts on the cautions from kick it out to Hartlepool fans deciding to go as Bob Marley this year?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/24/hartlepool-fans-bob-marley-fancy-dress-carlisle-united

I personally see no problem with them dressing up a Bob Marley tbh but I don't see the need for blackface. Blacking up isn't essential to the costume at all

Agree completely. They should be able to dress up as him if they want (bit of a **** fancy dress if you ask me anyway, unless Bob Marley has some sort of connection to the club) but 'blacking up' is definitely too far.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Agree completely. They should be able to dress up as him if they want (bit of a **** fancy dress if you ask me anyway, unless Bob Marley has some sort of connection to the club) but 'blacking up' is definitely too far.

I've seen a few people on twitter that they should be allowed to black up. They're citing Sol Campbell whiting up in recent voting campaign as double standards and hypocrisy. Shame to see so many still ignorant, I don't think these people have a legitimate reason to be angry at the campaign tbh
Original post by sevchenko
I've seen a few people on twitter that they should be allowed to black up. They're citing Sol Campbell whiting up in recent voting campaign as double standards and hypocrisy. Shame to see so many still ignorant, I don't think these people have a legitimate reason to be angry at the campaign tbh

From what I read it was just a rumour and it was never their plan to go as Bob Marley at all. Hartepools final day fancy dress is always classic, I remember seeing them on the tube one year.
Original post by hskjlclcn
From what I read it was just a rumour and it was never their plan to go as Bob Marley at all. Hartepools final day fancy dress is always classic, I remember seeing them on the tube one year.

Kick it out have issued a statement wrt blacking up as Bob Marley. I'm not sure a simple rumour would gain such traction.

I think it's an excellent unique tradition tbh I have no problem with them wearing dreads wigs and Jamaican colours I just don't see the need for Blackface. Going as Bob Marley is a not a good fancy dress choice on it's own anyway, it's basically going as a stereotypical Jamaican which is a bit boring. There are better fancy dress options out there tbh
Brighton v Watford
Sheff Wed v Leeds
Birmingham v Charlton
Cardiff v Blackpool
Fulham v Middlesbrough
Huddersfield v Blackburn
Ipswich v Nottm Forest
Millwall v Derby
Reading v Brentford
Rotherham v Norwich
Wigan v Wolves

Top eight contenders in bold.
Original post by Mackay
Brighton v Watford
Sheff Wed v Leeds
Birmingham v Charlton
Cardiff v Blackpool
Fulham v Middlesbrough
Huddersfield v Blackburn
Ipswich v Nottm Forest
Millwall v Derby
Reading v Brentford
Rotherham v Norwich
Wigan v Wolves

Top eight contenders in bold.

Also interesting that they're up against the 4 teams gunning for safety. Things could get very scrappy and I can see some teams dropping points.
Any barnsley fans on here ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Troy Deeney puts the Hornets ahead after an inspired substitution by Jokanović
Best thing about that Deener goal was Gomes' celebration.
We're 1-0 down at Hillsborough with 10 men. That's a sixth successive defeat. So fed up with Leeds

Edit: Flash Scores says we've had a man sent off but BBC Sport says it's still 11 vs 11
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3290
There really are some stupid people on here. Why shouldn't they black up?!
Kick it out have, as they often do, undone a lot of good work with an utterly ridiculous statement.
Original post by bun
There really are some stupid people on here. Why shouldn't they black up?!
Kick it out have, as they often do, undone a lot of good work with an utterly ridiculous statement.

Why do they need to black up? Could they not dress up without having to black up?

I'm not black so it's no skin off my nose, but if people find blacking up offensive then it should absolutely be banned.
Reply 3292
Original post by TornadoGR4
Why do they need to black up? Could they not dress up without having to black up?

I'm not black so it's no skin off my nose, but if people find blacking up offensive then it should absolutely be banned.

Who does find it offensive though? Keith Curle has said he finds it harmless fun, when the rugby star blacked up to dress up as Bony, Bony said he was happy with it. It's just a minority who take offence to everything.
It's like the Sol Campbell issue. He's a complete you know what, but I wasnt 'insulted' that he painted his face white. It's double standards just to back down to a minority of people who like to play the race card.
Leeds could be in with a chance of promotion next season :rolleyes:
Deeney's off to see the Avengers tonight to celebrate, he told Sky Sports cameras.
Derby getting beat by Millwall, and 'Boro a goal down to Fulham. As it stands, Watford will go up today.
This is exciting stuff! Watford promoted as it stands with Fulham leading Mboro at half time.
Wigan could be relegated with Wolves ahead just before the break.

Oh and Leeds finally won a game lol.
Conference does not kick off till 5.15 ffs. Hopefully Barnet will go up today! If Rovers lose of course :biggrin:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Conference does not kick off till 5.15 ffs. Hopefully Barnet will go up today! If Rovers lose of course :biggrin:

Wow barnet..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swagyolo420

Explain

Quick Reply

Latest