The Student Room Group

History is a pointless subject.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moordland
#kthnxbye

So original.

Irony my shirt when you say this since you can't back up your flawed argument.

don't make me giggle mate
Reply 21
Original post by soanonymous
don't make me giggle mate

m9*
Wrong... looking at human behaviour in the past does, in fact, help us understand our own nature, how society functions, how economies work and much else. It can be reapplied in the future, even to a level where we can make statistical models of certain behaviour based on data from the past.
Perhaps if Hitler treated history more seriously he wouldn't repeat exactly what Napoleon had done and failed.
Trolls are really getting lame these days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by soanonymous
You can learn a lot about the future from studying the past.

Here's your answer.

Bit of a stupid original question, tbh.
"if you forget where you come from you'll never make it where you're going"

History os soooooooo important. You'll find UK history (Victorian industry, etc) and even World History (The Russian Revolution, etc) are sooooo relevant and important in our everyday lives

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know it's bull****, my history friends have 1 exam while I have 6 ffs.
The study of the past is to never forget the people that impacted other people's lives. Or forget the moments in which their was injustice. And to see all the events that led to our uncertain future. We learn history to view the mistakes, learn from them and make sure they don't happen again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sponge_
It is easier to know where you are going when you know where you have been.

So u saw my ppic and decided to create a new acc ? Typical

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by AsandaLFC
So u saw my ppic and decided to create a new acc ? Typical

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am the one and only sponge. Take your avatar down. :angry:
What is the point of studying the past?

What's done is done.

It is what it is.

Maybe they should do a subject called Future with Stem elements in.

The history-book on the shelf is always repeating itself... Waterloo! I was defeated, you won the war...
Reply 32
Original post by Schmeckel
The history-book on the shelf is always repeating itself... Waterloo! I was defeated, you won the war...

wat
wat

Song lyric.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
Reply 35
What is the point of anything? Why do we need medicine when we can just let everyone die?
Reply 36
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Perhaps if Hitler treated history more seriously he wouldn't repeat exactly what Napoleon had done and failed.

And he wouldn't have fought a two front war like the Germans did in ww1 lol
I laugh at people bringing up extreme examples. Just because we think studying a history degree is pointless it doesn't mean we can never bring anything up from the past. I loled hard at the example "what if we run out of a drug - then we can't look back in the past to see what it was made from". Facepalm.
Reply 38
Original post by BioStudentx
I laugh at people bringing up extreme examples. Just because we think studying a history degree is pointless it doesn't mean we can never bring anything up from the past. I loled hard at the example "what if we run out of a drug - then we can't look back in the past to see what it was made from". Facepalm.

Pointless is a human concept. Technically I could just die right here and now, you might say that was pointless, i'd say the point was to die.

Say, why study STEM? To get a job. Why get a job? To get income? Why get income? To spend it on stuff we want.

Why do we value any of that?
Original post by whorace
Pointless is a human concept. Technically I could just die right here and now, you might say that was pointless, i'd say the point was to die.

Say, why study STEM? To get a job. Why get a job? To get income? Why get income? To spend it on stuff we want.

Why do we value any of that?

You didn't even respond to my point and just went on a tangent about how "pointless" is subjective. I meant pointless as in pointless to the progression of humanity. It is evident from some of the incoherent arguments made in this thread that there are a lot of history students here.

Quick Reply

Latest