The Student Room Group

The deliberate misuse of the term "ignorant"

I am quite dissatisfied by the wilful and deliberate misuse of the term ignorant by "new variant liberals" / "cultural Marxists".

These types apply the term who people who for example have traditional views, don't subscribe to affirmative action, feminism, subscribe to traditional Christianity, don't want racial demographic changes etc.

If we consider the word ignorant, it meant ignore-ant, or ignoring the reality around you.

If someone has considers both sides of the argument around the issues I mention and come to the conclusion that the traditional view is correct, they cannot be ignorant and they have not ignored reality yet the aforementioned group will call them ignorant.

Conversely if someone has not looked at both sides of the argument and simply subscribes to the views of the aforementioned group because they are popular views, they were taught those view, peer pressure etc, then the person is necessarily ignorant but this group will call them enlightened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get called ignorant a lot when I use "problematic", "sexist" and "racist" language. It's quite amusing. I just tip my fedora, turn 360º and walk away.
Original post by CycleofSpin
If we consider the word ignorant, it meant ignore-ant, or ignoring the reality around you.

That's not what ignorant means. The English language doesn't work like that (unfortunate but it's true). Aside from the way it's spelt, ''ignorant'' has nothing/little to do with the word ''ignore''.

Ignorant is defined as: ''lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.'' The word ''ignore'' describes purposefully making oneself unaware of something; ''ignorant'' does not.

People often use ignorant as a synonym for stupid. They shouldn't really, but this language is so butchered and so inconsistent that I guess there's no point in trying.

These types apply the term who people who for example have traditional views, don't subscribe to affirmative action, feminism, subscribe to traditional Christianity, don't want racial demographic changes etc.

I've tried to discuss these topics with people such as yourself before. However, whenever I ask further questions about your views people either fail to respond or just throw a tantrum because I'm not accepting what you say at face value.

It's a shame. I see people like yourself spending more time talking to those who call you racist, sexist, homophobic, etc, than those who genuinely want to discuss these things. That only gives me the impression that you don't actually want to talk about these things you simply want to preach. :s-smilie:

Original post by HigherMinion
I get called ignorant a lot when I use "problematic", "sexist" and "racist" language. It's quite amusing. I just tip my fedora, turn 360º and walk away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/maths/shape_space/angles/read/1/
I am quite dissatisfied by the wilful and deliberate misuse of the term ignorant by "new variant liberals" / "cultural Marxists".

If someone has considers both sides of the argument around the issues I mention and come to the conclusion that the traditional view is correct, they cannot be ignorant and they have not ignored reality yet the aforementioned group will call them ignorant.

Conversely if someone has not looked at both sides of the argument and simply subscribes to the views of the aforementioned group because they are popular views, they were taught those view, peer pressure etc, then the person is necessarily ignorant but this group will call them enlightened.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Marxist definition of 'ignorant': In conflict with Marxist education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending