The Student Room Group

Age for travelling alone?

I was wondering, what would be the legal age for traveling alone? Or with a group of people of a similar age?

This includes:
Booking hotels, flights, etc... (And flying/staying, of course!)

Would it be 18? or 16? Or anything else?

Although I do consider myself mature enough to travel alone, the law may say otherwise :tongue:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Vinstagram
I was wondering, what would be the legal age for traveling alone? Or with a group of people of a similar age?

This includes:
Booking hotels, flights, etc... (And flying/staying, of course!)

Would it be 18? or 16? Or anything else?

Although I do consider myself mature enough to travel alone, the law may say otherwise :tongue:

Thanks!

I went to Germany with a couple of mates when were 17, didn't have any problems. So I wouldn't be surprised if 16 is alright too, but I think that although that might be the legal age, some airlines/hotels etc.. might say no Under 18s.
Reply 2
Original post by Tappouni
I went to Germany with a couple of mates when were 17, didn't have any problems. So I wouldn't be surprised if 16 is alright too, but I think that although that might be the legal age, some airlines/hotels etc.. might say no Under 18s.

So how were you able to book flights, hotels, etc... ? Some sites like expedia don't accept 'minors'... At least one person over 18 required :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
So how were you able to book flights, hotels, etc... ? Some sites like expedia don't accept 'minors'... At least one person over 18 required :s-smilie:

Managed to book onto easyJet without any problems...this was in 2013 but I doubt it'll have changed much? Stayed in campsites because it was a lot cheaper haha, but I suppose hotels would usually want someone over 18...Youth Hostels might be an option?
Reply 4
True... thanks man!! I guess I could always phone a specific hotel to see. Great advice haha... I shall venture out to the world sometime! :tongue:
I don't know of any country that has a legal minimum. You might have reassure someone that you haven't lost your parents or something every so often if you look particularly young, and some hotels might object, but there's no reason you can't. Depending on your exact age, most (Ryanair being a notable exception - they straight up wont let anyone under 16 fly alone, and will treat anyone 16 or over as an a dult) airlines will have a arrangements in place specifically for minors travelling alone - specific details:

BA: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/special-assistance/children-travelling-alone
Virgin: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/flying-with-children/children-travelling-alone.html
Easyjet: http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/flying-with-children

Some countries have weird rules, but basically nobody will be fussy apart from the UK (who took some serious flak a few years back when a 14 year old who'd just sailed across the channel solo whilst practicing for a solo round the world trip was put into care because they didn't think she was capable of looking after herself overnight in some coastal town or other) and South Africa (who are crazy on this front - flying in with your parents will need your full birth certificate, with only one of your parents will need that, and either permission from the other parent, a court order granting full responsibility for you to the parent you're flying with, or the death certificate of the other parent, flying in with anybody that isn't your biological parent will also need written permission from both parents, photocopies of their passports, and their contact details (or death certificates - note this means that it's literally impossible to legally enter the country with an adopted child where one or more of the biological parents is still alive but not in contact with the child) - if you're travelling alone, you'll need all of that stuff, plus a letter from someone living in South Africa willing to take responsibility for you, along with a copy of their passport, and a detailed itinery of everywhere you're planning on staying - yeah, just don't go to South Africa on your own, it's not worth the hassle).
Reply 6
Original post by BlueSam3
I don't know of any country that has a legal minimum. You might have reassure someone that you haven't lost your parents or something every so often if you look particularly young, and some hotels might object, but there's no reason you can't. Depending on your exact age, most (Ryanair being a notable exception - they straight up wont let anyone under 16 fly alone, and will treat anyone 16 or over as an a dult) airlines will have a arrangements in place specifically for minors travelling alone - specific details:

BA: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/special-assistance/children-travelling-alone
Virgin: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/flying-with-children/children-travelling-alone.html
Easyjet: http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/flying-with-children

Some countries have weird rules, but basically nobody will be fussy apart from the UK (who took some serious flak a few years back when a 14 year old who'd just sailed across the channel solo whilst practicing for a solo round the world trip was put into care because they didn't think she was capable of looking after herself overnight in some coastal town or other) and South Africa (who are crazy on this front - flying in with your parents will need your full birth certificate, with only one of your parents will need that, and either permission from the other parent, a court order granting full responsibility for you to the parent you're flying with, or the death certificate of the other parent, flying in with anybody that isn't your biological parent will also need written permission from both parents, photocopies of their passports, and their contact details (or death certificates - note this means that it's literally impossible to legally enter the country with an adopted child where one or more of the biological parents is still alive but not in contact with the child) - if you're travelling alone, you'll need all of that stuff, plus a letter from someone living in South Africa willing to take responsibility for you, along with a copy of their passport, and a detailed itinery of everywhere you're planning on staying - yeah, just don't go to South Africa on your own, it's not worth the hassle).

Thanks man, great advice!! Although I was planning to go to Japan (South Africa is too unsafe for my liking), but again, these things really depend on the airline and hotel... But I will look forward to international travel in the forseeable future! Also, thanks for the links... But in general, is it over 16? As some websites will not let me book unless I am 18+ :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might not seem very far but I've been going to Edinburgh from Manchester by myself since I was 16, although on a train.
Reply 8
Original post by katiiiiie
It might not seem very far but I've been going to Edinburgh from Manchester by myself since I was 16, although on a train.

International travel may be a tad trickier :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks man, great advice!! Although I was planning to go to Japan (South Africa is too unsafe for my liking), but again, these things really depend on the airline and hotel... But I will look forward to international travel in the forseeable future! Also, thanks for the links... But in general, is it over 16? As some websites will not let me book unless I am 18+ :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, over 16 seems to be the general point at which you can book your own flights, mostly.
I first traveled alone 2 months ago to visit the uni's in UK (i live in cyprus) and I realized that, most people I met there were quite surprised I actually did that journey by my self (it included lot's of buses and trains), I have to admit being alone in a foreign country is kinda hard but since I knew the language it was k.
Reply 11
Original post by BlueSam3
Yeah, over 16 seems to be the general point at which you can book your own flights, mostly.

Thanks! I'm guessing hotels are the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by theo1jinx
I first traveled alone 2 months ago to visit the uni's in UK (i live in cyprus) and I realized that, most people I met there were quite surprised I actually did that journey by my self (it included lot's of buses and trains), I have to admit being alone in a foreign country is kinda hard but since I knew the language it was k.

Yeah, I guess it really depends on your familiarity with the place, and the language XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! I'm guessing hotels are the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That'll entirely dependent on the hotel, and probably varies a lot more - some hotels have some really weird rules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending