The Student Room Group

How did you find this year's FP1 (EDEXCEL)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Music With Rocks
I found it very tricky, I have managed to get 100% in some of the FP1 past papers before but in this exam I could not do 8b or 8c for the life of me. I think that may be my hopes of an A at further maths down the drain :frown:

Maybe the boundaries will be lower
Reply 41
when will the model answers be put up?
Original post by TeeEm
You want hard FP2 and FP3 to be harder?

If only they let me write these papers ...
If only ...
Just imagine...

haha evil!
I've seen your papers for core 3 and 4 and they are night mares.
Just curious to know are you some sort of maths professor or just a normal maths teacher? And how do you think of the questions? I mean surely you would need some sort of team behind you to check each question is valid etc.
Original post by TeeEm
Maybe the boundaries will be lower

I really hope so, I pray its not like that paper which had the A boundary at 69/75
I found it very tricky, I have managed to get 100% in one of the FP1 past papers before but in this exam I could not do 8b or 8c for the life of me. I think that may be my hopes of an A at further maths down the drain :frown:

Not necessarily, that could still be an A. Even if it isn't, you can make up for your result with your other further maths modules. Never give up :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by kprime2
haha evil!
I've seen your papers for core 3 and 4 and they are night mares.
Just curious to know are you some sort of maths professor or just a normal maths teacher? And how do you think of the questions? I mean surely you would need some sort of team behind you to check each question is valid etc.

I have experience at every level

University lecturing
School teaching
Setting Exams

Unfortunately not great at any of these ...

Team?
insulting...
I have been in this discipline for almost 30 years
Reply 46
I really hope so, I pray its not like that paper which had the A boundary at 69/75

from the responses it sounds like A around 60ish
Original post by TeeEm
I have experience at every level

University lecturing
School teaching
Setting Exams

Unfortunately not great at any of these ...

Team?
insulting...
I have been in this discipline for almost 30 years

I see. So are you still teaching or what?
Original post by TeeEm

yeah
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lukejoshjames
Not necessarily, that could still be an A. Even if it isn't, you can make up for your result with your other further maths modules. Never give up :smile:

Well I do normally do better at S1 so maybe I can get some marks back :smile: thanks for the positive reply!
Original post by TeeEm

Well I'd be happy with that if that is the case, I may have a chance.
Original post by Xin Xang
Really!!!

Any student that doesn't understand that extremely basic notation by the time they sit FP1 does not deserve an A. Or a B, or even a C..

I understand that they're Further Maths students so they SHOULD know but it's unfair on Edexcel to assume they know. A friend of my thought it may have something to do with the dot product of the two, which makes no sense. They could have just written "Show SR^2 = SP x SQ" in my opinion. It was the last question on the paper and all it required was multiplying out, simplifying and factorising.
Reply 52
Original post by niki697
when will the model answers be put up?

when someone who has access to the paper,
and knows what they are doing,
and can be bothered to write solutions,
and is brave enough to show his/her work on line...

that is when
:smile:
Reply 53
Original post by kprime2
I see. So are you still teaching or what?

I have been teaching privately only for a number of years but I am fully retiring on 21st June!!
Reply 54
Original post by kprime2
I got 70/75. What UMS do you reckon that would be?

hard to tell because I have not seen the paper.

pure from the comments I would hazard a guess as around 90%
Reply 55
Well I'd be happy with that if that is the case, I may have a chance.

I can also tell you the FP1 is not the type of module you can easily get 100%.
Original post by fatart123
Yeah, this paper was a lot easier than last year's paper. Tbh, I think that Jan '12 is harder than this one and that was 72/75 for 90 UMS... FP2 and FP3 better be harder than this.

Original post by kprime2
Disagree there. There was absolutely nothing that was remotely tricky on the last year's paper.

I agree with kprime , last years paper was very standard, no strange questions, however I thought this years was a little bit trickier. Not "hard" per se but just different
Original post by TeeEm
hard to tell because I have not seen the paper.

pure from the comments I would hazard a guess as around 90%

could you predict the boundaries once you have a look at the paper after Arsey posts it?
I'm personally predicting 62 for an A. But heyho I'm just an 18 year old student.
Original post by MathsObsessed
I understand that they're Further Maths students so they SHOULD know but it's unfair on Edexcel to assume they know. A friend of my thought it may have something to do with the dot product of the two, which makes no sense. They could have just written "Show SR^2 = SP x SQ" in my opinion. It was the last question on the paper and all it required was multiplying out, simplifying and factorising.

But it was a dot product ....:confused:
Reply 59
Original post by kprime2
could you predict the boundaries once you have a look at the paper after Arsey posts it?
I'm personally predicting 62 for an A. But heyho I'm just an 18 year old student.

look at my exit comment on the FP1 discussion thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending