The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Comeback
Correct! They are definitely a waste of paper I'll admit.

Ah, fantastic. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Columbo97
That isn't what i have been told. I'll check the spec.

You're right:

Graphical Skills
To include at AS use of:

line graphs simple, comparative, compound and divergent

bar graphs simple, comparative, compound and divergent

scatter graphs and use of best fit line

pie charts and proportional divided circles

triangular graphs

radial diagrams

logarithmic scales

dispersion diagrams.

ICT Skills
To include:

use of remotely sensed data photographs, digital images including those captured by satellite

use of databases, eg census data, Environment Agency data; meteorological office data

use of geographical information systems (GIS)

presentation of text and graphical and cartographic images using ICT.

Statistical Skills
To include at AS:

measures of central tendency mean, mode, median

measures of dispersion interquartile range and standard deviation

Spearman’s rank correlation test

application of significance level in inferential statistical results.

Original post by Comeback
You're right:

I thought so, i have the A2 spec and its exactly the same with a couple of A2 things circled so we don't have to do it yet.
Cheers
I think this is correct. Apologies for my terrible handwriting, i tried to make it readable!

Perfectly readable! Thank you very much :biggrin:
Reply 164
Original post by Emsy_
Good Luck to everyone tomorrow

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm struggling on a question to do with the strengths and limitations of the Spearman's rank co-efficient test. If anyone can help me that would be great but I know we're all busy revising

:biggrin:

strengths:
- allows you to see the correlation between two variables
- allows the strength of the correation to be seen as you can compare you RS value against a set or critical values
- does not assume normal distribution
- allows the signnifficance of the data to be seen

limitations
- you need two variables
- difficult to calculate
- complicated formula

hope that helps :biggrin:
Original post by sapphirehaze
Perfectly readable! Thank you very much :biggrin:

The only other things that could come up are attached. I haven't done the answers yet so maybe you would want to try this if you're struggling :smile:
Reply 166
Original post by Sonnal
strengths:
- allows you to see the correlation between two variables
- allows the strength of the correation to be seen as you can compare you RS value against a set or critical values
- does not assume normal distribution
- allows the signnifficance of the data to be seen

limitations
- you need two variables
- difficult to calculate
- complicated formula

hope that helps :biggrin:

Can you explain 'does not assume normal distribution', please? is this therefore a downside of Standard Deviation?
Reply 167
Original post by odjack
Can you explain 'does not assume normal distribution', please? is this therefore a downside of Standard Deviation?

it does assume that the data is symmetrically skewed. Like, you are able to see how it is correlated, so if your answer is close to 1 it is positive, and if it is close to -1 it is negative.
I feel alright with the skills but I'm having trouble with the fieldwork and remembering everything!

Also, what exactly do you need to know about ICT, as in what kinda questions can they ask?
The only other things that could come up are attached. I haven't done the answers yet so maybe you would want to try this if you're struggling :smile:

So, for the 14:00 one, I'd just draw a line from the 13:00 point to the appropriate amount (125 was it? I've gone off it) and then draw the next line to 15:00?
Hi, I am revising for my geog 2 exam tomorrow, but I just freaked out when I found out that you have those questions that ask to describe a chart (this part was fine) then explain the social, economic impacts, or whatever, things like that.
I thought geog2 wasn't testing my knowledge much
How should I revise this? and what kind of questions are these? What do I have to remember?? Can somebody tell me
??:confused:
Original post by TheGreatImposter
I feel alright with the skills but I'm having trouble with the fieldwork and remembering everything!

Also, what exactly do you need to know about ICT, as in what kinda questions can they ask?

Make it up :wink:

Look at the bottom of the attachment :smile: (The top was classwork)
Original post by sapphirehaze
So, for the 14:00 one, I'd just draw a line from the 13:00 point to the appropriate amount (125 was it? I've gone off it) and then draw the next line to 15:00?

I would find 14:00, draw 125 or whatever it was on the 14:00 line, and then join the points from 13:00 and 15:00 to 14:00 (Hope that wasn't confusing)
Hey Guys,
Could someone please explain the significance level thing to do with Spear-man's Rank Correlation?
Don't understand it at all :rolleyes:
I would find 14:00, draw 125 or whatever it was on the 14:00 line, and then join the points from 13:00 and 15:00 to 14:00 (Hope that wasn't confusing)

Perfect. Thank you for your kind helpfulness :smile:
Make it up :wink:

Look at the bottom of the attachment :smile: (The top was classwork)

so lets say I wrote something along the lines of:

"ICT skills are used such as using the computer with a Spearman's rank calculated created on microsoft excel. These applications allowed everything to be more accurate, allowed us to provide higher quality fieldwork and enabled us to present and analyse a wide range of statical information. There was no human error when calculating and we could enter different values to get an answer without having to work everything out from the beginning, making it easy to use.
so lets say I wrote something along the lines of:

"ICT skills are used such as using the computer with a Spearman's rank calculated created on microsoft excel. These applications allowed everything to be more accurate, allowed us to provide higher quality fieldwork and enabled us to present and analyse a wide range of statical information. There was no human error when calculating and we could enter different values to get an answer without having to work everything out from the beginning, making it easy to use.

:eek:Wish i could write like that!
:eek:Wish i could write like that!

haha, it was in the fieldwork write up, if you want to see it I can send it to your email? :smile:
haha, it was in the fieldwork write up, if you want to see it I can send it to your email? :smile:

Haha yeah please!!
Original post by annabelflynn
Hey Guys,
Could someone please explain the significance level thing to do with Spear-man's Rank Correlation?
Don't understand it at all :rolleyes:

Basically your spearmans rank gives you a value of how great a correlation you have. The closer to 1 the greater the correlation (with one being that as one increases by so much as does the other). The critical value is the number your spearmans rank value needs to be above in order to be significant. Significant means the result it is not down to chance. If it is below this value, then there is no statistical correlation (relationship) as your data could be due to chance.
The 0.1 value is 99%% certain the result is not due to chance and the 0.5 is 95%
Let me know if this does not make sense :smile:
(sorry about the typos. I'm on my phone)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending