The Student Room Group

What a-levels do i choose???help

I'm doing my GCSE's at the moment and I'm going to be doing my A-Levels soon and I really need some help.
I really want to take chemistry because I really enjoy it and normally do quite well, I'm telling myself I only need a B to take it if I don't do as well as I want to but is a B at gcse good enough for A-Level???

I am also thinking about Biology but the same goes for that too, do you think I'll struggle?

please help:confused:
chemistry and biology are very hard, i'm not too sure if you'll be ok with a B at gcse, do you understand all the topics? and if your school is on edexcel for biology then pls don't do it lmao (i'm just kidding but seriously it's quite hard, that's just my opinion though)
Reply 2
Original post by bubblegumcat
chemistry and biology are very hard, i'm not too sure if you'll be ok with a B at gcse, do you understand all the topics? and if your school is on edexcel for biology then pls don't do it lmao (i'm just kidding but seriously it's quite hard, that's just my opinion though)

We do AQA I usually get A's and A* in end of topic tests I just keep thinking I might not do as well because it's a different environment in the hall and stuff
As long as you're dedicated you should be fine with a B. I got a B in chem through self teaching (I was home ed) and shortly became top of my class at A-level. Especially if you get A/A* on your own c: Although I would be wary, if you can drop to a B at GCSE just because stress, that's only going to increase at A-Level :| And A2's a b*tch.

I advise trying it for the first couple of weeks and seeing how you get on, my college let you switch if it wasn't too far into the term.
Reply 4
Original post by bubblegumcat

Biology and chemistry aren't hard for everyone. I find them fairly easy (at least much easier than physics) and yet I've don't triple science through Edexcel.
Some people also may get Bs and Cs at GCSEs and yet come out with top grades at A Level. Then it can also be the other way round - top students at GCSE find it hard to cope the year after.
Don't limit yourself to what you're getting at GCSE. If you enjoy the subjects it will be easier to understand them, and therefore will be easier to get the right grades
I got a B in chemistry gcse and finished a levels with an E so would say only do it if you love chemistry and believe you ll be able to handle the work:smile:
I got a B in GCSE Chemistry and I'm doing pretty well at AS chemistry and biology right now. If you enjoy it and work super hard you'll do well.
Original post by iPatr0nus
We do AQA I usually get A's and A* in end of topic tests I just keep thinking I might not do as well because it's a different environment in the hall and stuff

sorry I don't do AQA ( for a levels but I did at GCSE) but you look you'll be fine :smile: keep practicing exam technique also

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Study the things that interest you.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Biology and chemistry aren't hard for everyone. I find them fairly easy (at least much easier than physics) and yet I've don't triple science through Edexcel.
Some people also may get Bs and Cs at GCSEs and yet come out with top grades at A Level. Then it can also be the other way round - top students at GCSE find it hard to cope the year after.
Don't limit yourself to what you're getting at GCSE. If you enjoy the subjects it will be easier to understand them, and therefore will be easier to get the right grades

I am aware that some people find it easier even if they didn't do triple. I asked op if they understand the topics because even if they got a B, they could still do well if they understand the topics well. A grade doesn't necessarily show how well a person knows the topic imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest