The Student Room Group

Applying to more than 2 subjects

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on studying modern languages, but I'm interested in three different languages and most universities offer to study two. For example, say you apply for Russian and Spanish at one university but at other universities you apply for Russian and French, so the personal statement would include aspects of Spanish, French, and Russian. How would you combine these subjects in a successful personal statement without sounding confused about what you want to study? I'm interested in all three languages and I want to start writing my personal statement on time so that I have time to make changes etc. Does anyone have advice on merging different subjects in one personal statement so that it will sound good to all universities?

Thanks!
It's never a good idea to write one personal statement for more than one subject but in this case it may just work. Make sure you give equal consideration to all three languages and properly explain why you're interested in them and in studying them.
I was given the advice to submit a different personal statement for each different course I apply for. This makes your personal statement more focussed and less confusing. Good luck
I applied to universities that either offered 2 or 3 languages. I studied 2 languages at A-Level and discussed how much I enjoyed them, why I wanted to study them further etc etc. And then said something like "Should the opportunity arise to learn another foreign language within my degree, I would welcome it because..."

Applying to study more than one language isn't the same as applying for different subjects imo.
Original post by RevisionNad
I was given the advice to submit a different personal statement for each different course I apply for. This makes your personal statement more focussed and less confusing. Good luck

This isn't possible under the UCAS scheme - one PS is sent to all of your choices.

However it is possible to sometimes write a supplemental, specific PS for one or more of your choices directly after applying. Generally you need to speak to the universities involved before applying and ask if this is something they will accept.
Original post by PQ
This isn't possible under the UCAS scheme - one PS is sent to all of your choices.

However it is possible to sometimes write a supplemental, specific PS for one or more of your choices directly after applying. Generally you need to speak to the universities involved before applying and ask if this is something they will accept.

yes, sorry that's what I meant- if you send a different PS, you need to send it directly to the uni
Admission tutors will understand that you are applying for different language combinations. They expect it and won't mind if you talk about one language more than another. I applied for a mixture of Norwegian, French and German - I mostly talked about Norwegian in my PS, mentioned German twice and didn't mention French at all. I got in everywhere I applied. Try and find common themes, for example I talked about my interest in minority languages in Scandinavia but linked it with the historical German communities in Eastern Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending