The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by morrissies
on P2 can anyone explain the graph for the rocket?
People are saying either B or C but I just can't understand why it isn't A.
The question said choose the graph that shows how velocity changes as the rocket falls until just after it hits the ground. surely when it hits the ground velocity would have to be 0, because it's no longer moving, and graph A was the only one that finished at the x axis - 0 ????

This is what I was confused about! I put B (I think) because as the rocket falls, it acts like the parachutist that we learn about so the speed starts off low and it gets faster and faster bc it accelerates, until terminal velocity is reached and only B and C showed terminal velocity if I remember correctly. But I do understand where you're coming from as only A got to 0, but it showed a constantly decreasing speed when I feel it should have been increasing.
Original post by Abdalla__67
nice prediction!

hehe, thanks! :smile:
Original post by Not_a_horse
I think the mass was 0.05 and the speed was 12.

Yeah you're provabaly right, seen so many numbers today I can't remember them all aha
If i got the wrong answer for one part and used the same wrong answer in the next part will I still get the marks?? :frown:
Is there an unofficial mark scheme yet?
Original post by Jjohnson919
Would have to reach 0 though

hmm, that's a good point...
Wait, what shape was graph A?
If i got the wrong answer for one part and used the same wrong answer in the next part will I still get the marks?? :frown:

You'll probably get error carried forward, if you did the right method for the second part :smile:
Original post by amymcavoy22
Yeah that's what most people got, I put 0.6 but I'm 99% I got that one wrong so I'm pretty jealous of your likely success right now

Peak. I'm kicking myself right now cause I thought I wa being clever by change 0.05 to 50 when it should've stayed as 0.05.
Original post by AvKar
This is what I was confused about! I put B (I think) because as the rocket falls, it acts like the parachutist that we learn about so the speed starts off low and it gets faster and faster bc it accelerates, until terminal velocity is reached and only B and C showed terminal velocity if I remember correctly. But I do understand where you're coming from as only A got to 0, but it showed a constantly decreasing speed when I feel it should have been increasing.

I put B too because it showed that the velocity increased rapidly and then levelled out to reach terminal velocity on the graph

that's what ive done too- im fairly certain that u only get penalised once for the wrong answer, so im p sure u will be fine so long as u used the right method :smile:
Original post by Smile Generator

Graph A was just a straight, diagonal line
I was unsure about all the options honestly because I didn't think it would fall at a constant velocity (which is what A showed) but none of the others hit the ground at 0 so I'm completely baffled by it
You'll probably get error carried forward, if you did the right method for the second part :smile:

That's a relief because I was aiming to not lose more than 15 marks

Can't really remember if I'm honest
Peak. I'm kicking myself right now cause I thought I wa being clever by change 0.05 to 50 when it should've stayed as 0.05.

I'm kicking myself right now because I forgot to square the velocity like that's probably the most stupid mistake to possibly make 😫
I was unsure about all the options honestly because I didn't think it would fall at a constant velocity (which is what A showed) but none of the others hit the ground at 0 so I'm completely baffled by it

Exactly what I was thinking
so worried i hope it's around 46 or 47 for an A*, does anyone have a good idea of what the boundary could be?

Yeah me too, i put B, because the question said 'Take into account air resistance'. I dont think it would fall at a constant velocity either. Imma ask my teacher tomorrow
Original post by amymcavoy22
I'm kicking myself right now because I forgot to square the velocity like that's probably the most stupid mistake to possibly make 😫

Ouch.
Exactly what I was thinking

I don't think you had to consider if it had hit the ground but just how it travelled through the air, anyways it was 1 mark so don't stress too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending