The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Postgraduate Applicants/Offer Holders 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hello!
I'm an international student and I'm going there this September to start my MA in Language and Cultural Diversity : )
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Msc Global Health : Disasters and Adaptation and now waiting for MPH (Masters of Public Health)
I need to pass the numeracy test for MPH. Did anyone take it?
Reply 262
Original post by purplemaze89
Hello!
I'm an international student and I'm going there this September to start my MA in Language and Cultural Diversity : )

Hiii! That sounds like a really interesting programme! Where are you from?
Original post by wdz
Hiii! That sounds like a really interesting programme! Where are you from?

Exactly! I'm from Taiwan!
I know the accomdation portal for postgraduate students opens only on the 15th of June but has anyone decided where they're gonna live? I'm thinking of applying for a room in the intercollegiate halls.
Original post by Piano_Player
I know the accomdation portal for postgraduate students opens only on the 15th of June but has anyone decided where they're gonna live? I'm thinking of applying for a room in the intercollegiate halls.

Me too! I think I'll probably put Lillian Penson Hall as my first choice since their ensuite rooms are relatively more affordable than other residences, plus it's catered and only for postgraduates.
Me too! I think I'll probably put Lillian Penson Hall as my first choice since their ensuite rooms are relatively more affordable than other residences, plus it's catered and only for postgraduates.

Lillian Penson's one of my options too but my first and second choices are College Hall and Connaught Hall. They are primarily undergraduate halls but the Malet St/Tavistock Square location is really nice and convenient. Though I don't know what the chances are for a postgraduate student to get a room in either of them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 267
Lillian Penson's one of my options too but my first and second choices are College Hall and Connaught Hall. They are primarily undergraduate halls but the Malet St/Tavistock Square location is really nice and convenient. I don't know what the chances are for a postgraduate student to get a room in either of them though.

I'd have expected SSA to be most people's first choice! It's the closest to Strand. Will check Lillian Penson but if I remember correctly it's located at quite a distance from Strand, right?
Original post by wdz
I'd have expected SSA to be most people's first choice! It's the closest to Strand. Will check Lillian Penson but if I remember correctly it's located at quite a distance from Strand, right?

Yeah, it's near Paddington so tube/bus is a must!
Original post by wdz

It's quite far indeed and Stamford does have the best location, however, it houses first year undergraduate students only, according to the school's website.
Reply 270
It's quite far indeed and Stamford does have the best location, however, it houses first year undergraduate students only, according to the school's website.

I'm fairly certain that postgraduates are housed at SSA and it's my understanding that international postgraduates who haven't studied in London previously are at the beginning of the priority queue as far as allotment at SSA is concerned.

UPDATE: It seems that things have changed for this year. I have a friend who is currently at SSA which is why I was so certain about postgraduates being housed there. But judging from what the website currently states, I find myself in a bit of a quandary! Nothing comes close to SSA should that option not be available on June 15. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wdz
I'm fairly certain that postgraduates are housed at SSA and it's my understanding that international postgraduates who haven't studied in London previously are at the beginning of the priority queue as far as allotment at SSA is concerned.

UPDATE: It seems that things have changed for this year. I have a friend who is currently at SSA which is why I was so certain about postgraduates being housed there. But judging from what the website currently states, I find myself in a bit of a quandary! Nothing comes close to SSA should that option not be available on June 15. :frown:

Have you looked at Urbanest Westminster? It's just a walk across the bridge to Strand and the rooms are supposedly very nice but it's quite pricey.
Reply 272
Have you looked at Urbanest Westminster? It's just a walk across the bridge to Strand and the rooms are supposedly very nice but it's quite pricey.

I have. Pricey indeed! Time for another round of research.
Reply 273
What do you guys think about the Twin Room at Urbanest Westminster? Cheapest option there and possibly the only one I can consider.

I'm only looking at places that are within walking distance from Strand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wdz
What do you guys think about the Twin Room at Urbanest Westminster? Cheapest option there and possibly the only one I can consider.

I'm only looking at places that are within walking distance from Strand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

£179/week isn't too bad but in most intercollegiate halls, you get a catered single for a little more than that (though the rooms aren't as fancy).

But since you'll be saving money on transport, I guess it'll be worth it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lillian Penson's one of my options too but my first and second choices are College Hall and Connaught Hall. They are primarily undergraduate halls but the Malet St/Tavistock Square location is really nice and convenient. Though I don't know what the chances are for a postgraduate student to get a room in either of them.

Those two are truly wonderfully located, however they only provide 40-week contract, which is a bit of a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those two are truly wonderfully located, however they only provide 40-week contract, which is a bit of a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, really? I read somewhere that they'll provide 52 week contracts for postgraduates. Though, I think some places offer a 40 week contract and you can apply for a summer extension during the year.
Reply 277
Ah, really? I read somewhere that they'll provide 52 week contracts for postgraduates. Though, I think some places offer a 40 week contract and you can apply for a summer extension during the year.

Been checking College Hall, Connaught Hall and International Hall: all three seem great when it comes to their location. Definitely better than some of the other non-SSA KCL residences which are ridiculously far from Strand.

Oh and I hadn't factored in catered accommodations! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmp0006
Any social science and public policy full time post graduates for 2015? Also, anyone from the USA- where are you going to be living?! It's been hard for me online to tell which accommodation would be best.

I'm a full time postgrad from USA in social science and public policy too! I'm from Portland, Oregon doing an MSc in Environment, Politics and Globalization. What city/school are you coming from?

I'm coming to London with my boyfriend. We went to London for a visit during Spring Break and met with some advisors, and we only really have 3 options for 1 bedrooms for us; Wolfson, and a couple UoL residences. We can't really rent privately because I'm using government money, which is disbursed in payments rather than the lump sum that a ton of private residences or apartments want as upfront payment if you're not from the UK, with a guarantor.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone wants to be so close to their campus, it's like a 30 min walk in between the major 3 campuses so they all seemed close to me. My campus at home is over an hour walk or a 30 minute bus ride from my house and it's considered super close in. :tongue:
Anyway, we really liked the south side of the Thames near Wolfson, the market was really cool and it's got lots more trees and residences than the North Side, but is still close enough that you can walk across the river or take a quick tube ride to the popular spots.
I'd recommend going on Google Street View and looking around each neighborhood. It really helped us decide which apartments we liked better. If we don't get into a KCL residence, we might apply to Goodenough, ISH or look to rent a room in a place that's already established.
Will you be going to the Orientation in Sept?
Reply 279
Original post by kalechip
I'm a full time postgrad from USA in social science and public policy too! I'm from Portland, Oregon doing an MSc in Environment, Politics and Globalization. What city/school are you coming from?

I'm coming to London with my boyfriend. We went to London for a visit during Spring Break and met with some advisors, and we only really have 3 options for 1 bedrooms for us; Wolfson, and a couple UoL residences. We can't really rent privately because I'm using government money, which is disbursed in payments rather than the lump sum that a ton of private residences or apartments want as upfront payment if you're not from the UK, with a guarantor.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone wants to be so close to their campus, it's like a 30 min walk in between the major 3 campuses so they all seemed close to me. My campus at home is over an hour walk or a 30 minute bus ride from my house and it's considered super close in. :tongue:
Anyway, we really liked the south side of the Thames near Wolfson, the market was really cool and it's got lots more trees and residences than the North Side, but is still close enough that you can walk across the river or take a quick tube ride to the popular spots.
I'd recommend going on Google Street View and looking around each neighborhood. It really helped us decide which apartments we liked better. If we don't get into a KCL residence, we might apply to Goodenough, ISH or look to rent a room in a place that's already established.
Will you be going to the Orientation in Sept?

Will check Google Street View. Thanks for the tip!

Walking distance of 30 mins is definitely not too bad. There are residences which are nearly an hour away from campus.
The reasons most of us I imagine are anal about living within walking distance from campus are:

1) You save immensely on travel! London travel is notoriously expensive. There's a petition currently doing the rounds appealing for drastic slashing of tube/bus fares for uni students. Even if a partial reduction comes to force, it would be a success!

2) As is probably obvious, the convenience factor associated with staying nearby: cuts down travel time and guarantees one less burden when long library nights ensue.

Oh also, ISH and Goodenough offer residential scholarships. You may want to check that out.

Quick Reply

Latest