The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachel.h
I can't answer your question directly ... I just wonder why you can't resubmit? A couple of people on my course were down to the wire on a couple of deadlines and decided to just submit any old crap because they could hand another in a few days later. Guess different unis do things differently?

I'm pretty sure I can resubmit at some point but their feedback makes no sense to me. I guess I was wondering what would happen if I did not get 50 again.
So I'm looking into making a formal complaint against my uni about my essay. I'm not allowed to appeal apparently, so that is the next best thing. I don't really know what else to do because I feel it has been badly marked. They said I did not follow the brief, and that is pretty much the only thing wrong with it, yet I look at the brief and I have followed it to a T. For this reason I want a remark as I don't think I should have to resubmit it. I'm fuming.
Look at the brief again and the assessment criteria. Can you match those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airfairy - I think what would happen is you would get a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Also known as a PGCE. It just means it was overall passed at level 6 rather than level 7.

That's what my uni did last year, anyway. No one ever really knows or cares what level you passed at.

Also, what is really important is gaining QTS which is completely separate and is what qualifies you to teach. Many teachers from the old GTP program only have QTS and never studied for the academic PGCE qualification.
Yes, we were told that a mark of 40-49 was a pass at Honours level, but not a pass at Masters level. There was also the option to do H-level assignments (which were shorter and less theoretical, more reflective) if you failed M-level ones.

Unless you plan on using your credits to do a Masters in Education at a later date, all you really need is QTS. I'm pretty sure that in the past, PGCE courses weren't necessarily at Masters level anyway, it's a relatively recent thing as part of a push towards a more academically qualified teaching profession.
Original post by Airfairy
How much time on placement do you have left? I can't believe it has come down to this for you and I'm so sorry to hear it. The course is bad enough without being on the edge of not passing it. When will you know the outcome of this 'formal process'?

I only have a few weeks left which they have determined will not be enough for me to pass. One of the potential outcomes of this meeting is to extend my plavement by a couple of weeks. They may also reduce my teaching time to help me cope. I don't know when I will find out what's happening yet as we're on half term break and this needs to be discussed with my course leaders. It's quite an anxious time for me as failing to get a teaching job could result in me losing my house and the wedding I've already paid a deposit on. Not to mention that teaching is (and always has been) my dream career. :frown:
Original post by alabelle
I only have a few weeks left which they have determined will not be enough for me to pass. One of the potential outcomes of this meeting is to extend my plavement by a couple of weeks. They may also reduce my teaching time to help me cope. I don't know when I will find out what's happening yet as we're on half term break and this needs to be discussed with my course leaders. It's quite an anxious time for me as failing to get a teaching job could result in me losing my house and the wedding I've already paid a deposit on. Not to mention that teaching is (and always has been) my dream career. :frown:

They are helping so that is a sign that they believe in you...a couple of weeks is not a long time in the long run... I think you need to stop worrying about getting a job and concentrate on finishing your PGCE. Jobs will continue to come up all the time and there is always plenty of supply work which is a good experience when you start teaching.

Try to remain positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't got any solutions at all to offer, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am and hope it works out for you. I'm a firm believer in the idea that what's meant to be won't pass you by, but that is small comfort right now. I do hope everything is all right.
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Airfairy - I think what would happen is you would get a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Also known as a PGCE. It just means it was overall passed at level 6 rather than level 7.

That's what my uni did last year, anyway. No one ever really knows or cares what level you passed at.

Also, what is really important is gaining QTS which is completely separate and is what qualifies you to teach. Many teachers from the old GTP program only have QTS and never studied for the academic PGCE qualification.

Original post by myrtille
Yes, we were told that a mark of 40-49 was a pass at Honours level, but not a pass at Masters level. There was also the option to do H-level assignments (which were shorter and less theoretical, more reflective) if you failed M-level ones.

Unless you plan on using your credits to do a Masters in Education at a later date, all you really need is QTS. I'm pretty sure that in the past, PGCE courses weren't necessarily at Masters level anyway, it's a relatively recent thing as part of a push towards a more academically qualified teaching profession.

So I'd get a professional certificate even if I got 50 out of 60 of my masters credits? I passed everything else with merit, it's just this tiny 10 credit essay.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! It must be a very anxious time waiting to hear back. Extension of placement wouldn't be the end of the world and possibly a good idea if you feel you can make progress in that extra time.

Do keep us updated. I'm really sorry to hear about it all. I hope it all works out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone give me some advice?

I get 60 masters credits on my pgce and I found out I failed my 10 credit essay today (I got 46). They said it was well written but completely didn't answer the question. I disagree. No matter how much I reread it I don't understand how it doesn't answer it but that's besides the point.

Does anyone have any idea what happens if 10 of my credits are passed at level 6 and the rest at level 7? Do I not get a pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We only submit 3 essays at 20 credits each. We have to get masters credits in 2/3 essays to get the PGCE, if we don't, we get a PCE (Professional Cert in Education)
Original post by Samus2
We only submit 3 essays at 20 credits each. We have to get masters credits in 2/3 essays to get the PGCE, if we don't, we get a PCE (Professional Cert in Education)

Thanks for letting me know. I guess there's not much point asking others because every uni differs. I have three essays one is worth 30 credits, one is worth 20 and then I failed the 10 credit one. So I will be annoyed if I don't get the pgce part just because I failed the smallest one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for letting me know. I guess there's not much point asking others because every uni differs. I have three essays one is worth 30 credits, one is worth 20 and then I failed the 10 credit one. So I will be annoyed if I don't get the pgce part just because I failed the smallest one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do page 10-11 of this help? Looks like you could pass at level 6

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/Subjects/Education/Postgraduate/PGCE/SecondaryReligiousEducation.aspx

*edit* rubbish link! Programme specification that they sent me before applications
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I presume there has to be a certain amount of credits that you MUST get that is standardised? Because only 2/3 essays for us need to be, I assume that you need to get 40 credits to get the PGCE. Send your course director an email :smile: or look in your student handbook
Original post by laura.a.c265
Do page 10-11 of this help? Looks like you could pass at level 6

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/Subjects/Education/Postgraduate/PGCE/SecondaryReligiousEducation.aspx

*edit* rubbish link! Programme specification that they sent me before applications
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - in terms of passing at level 6 we were told it is all or nothing. So I'd lose the 50 masters credits I've got at the moment. It doesn't seem fair! Thank you though.
Original post by Samus2
Well, I presume there has to be a certain amount of credits that you MUST get that is standardised? Because only 2/3 essays for us need to be, I assume that you need to get 40 credits to get the PGCE. Send your course director an email :smile: or look in your student handbook

Yeah it must not be 60. I've emailed my leaders but they are away all week and it's driving me mad! My handbook is useless too. As said above it just says it's all at level 6 or all at level 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I stupidly booked a holiday without thinking for two weeks in June once I've finished the course and I'm dreading my perfect job interviewing in that fortnight. However there is not much I can do about that now.

Sorry you didn't get the job ParadoxSocks. I know that dropping feeling you get when they tell you :frown: . Onwards though... I don't think we have to worry just yet. I seem like the only trainee on my course without a job at the moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember reading your posts a while ago saying you wanted to quit your course. I am guessing you changed your mind? Good.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I haven't got any solutions at all to offer, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am and hope it works out for you. I'm a firm believer in the idea that what's meant to be won't pass you by, but that is small comfort right now. I do hope everything is all right.

Do you believe in fate or similar metaphysical ideas, darling?
I'm a firm believer in the idea that what's meant to be won't pass you by

I'm a firm believer that phrases like "what's meant to be" are nothing more than wishful thinking designed to comfort people by imagining there is meaning in meaninglessness. Stuff passes us by all the time, though obviously, by its very nature, we are only consciously aware of the stuff that doesn't pass us by. There's no governing 'meaning' outside of any we make: the universe is indifferent to us.

I want to be a source of comfort to my future students, but I'll never resort to the false comfort of wishful thinking.
Original post by Juichiro
I remember reading your posts a while ago saying you wanted to quit your course. I am guessing you changed your mind? Good.

Yeah I didn't see the point of dropping out with no alternative so I've really just taken each week as it comes. I'm glad I stuck it out but don't necessarily plan on going into teaching. How are you getting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juichiro
Do you believe in fate or similar metaphysical ideas, darling?

Original post by Squoosh25
I'm a firm believer that phrases like "what's meant to be" are nothing more than wishful thinking designed to comfort people by imagining there is meaning in meaninglessness. Stuff passes us by all the time, though obviously, by its very nature, we are only consciously aware of the stuff that doesn't pass us by. There's no governing 'meaning' outside of any we make: the universe is indifferent to us.

I want to be a source of comfort to my future students, but I'll never resort to the false comfort of wishful thinking.

I profoundly apologise for the sin of wishing to be comforting to someone I can't help but wished to express fellow feeling to. I assure you, it will never happen again now you have shown me the error of my ways. Forgive me for my faults.
Original post by Grant2007
They are helping so that is a sign that they believe in you...a couple of weeks is not a long time in the long run... I think you need to stop worrying about getting a job and concentrate on finishing your PGCE. Jobs will continue to come up all the time and there is always plenty of supply work which is a good experience when you start teaching.

Try to remain positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! It must be a very anxious time waiting to hear back. Extension of placement wouldn't be the end of the world and possibly a good idea if you feel you can make progress in that extra time.

Do keep us updated. I'm really sorry to hear about it all. I hope it all works out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you guys. In reality I think having some time off for half term is good because I can get my head straight. Just dreading seeing everyone from uni later this week as none of them know!

It's not over til it's over :wink: I was originally rejected from the three year BA program, then after securing a place on a SCITT last year they withdrew their offer at the end of May and I had to go through clearing etc. to find a new place. I'm very familiar with rejection, haha. I've come this far... doesn't make sense to give in now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending