The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

So, in addition to a new chairman and new head coach, Derby look set to be bringing in Darren Bent, Alex Pearce and Andreas Weimann at some point in the next week.

Some crazy money being spent right there.
Original post by Scott129
So, in addition to a new chairman and new head coach, Derby look set to be bringing in Darren Bent, Alex Pearce and Andreas Weimann at some point in the next week.

Some crazy money being spent right there.

Read that Clement was on £20k a week, which works out at £1m a year. Quite the sum for a boss who is given his first number one role, and is in charge of a second tier side.
Original post by Mackay
Read that Clement was on £20k a week, which works out at £1m a year. Quite the sum for a boss who is given his first number one role, and is in charge of a second tier side.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were more managers in that league on similar money, clubs either have or are more willing to pay big to get promoted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
I wouldn't be shocked if there were more managers in that league on similar money, clubs either have or are more willing to pay big to get promoted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only five clubs have the same amount of money/financial pedigree as Derby.

Fulham, Cardiff, Forest, Leeds - who clearly don't spend that on their managers - and Ipswich.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8QUE92hZG8

Short film about FC United finally moving to their own ground ten years after formation. I appear a couple of times...
Neil McDonald has a heck of a job on his hands at Blackpool.
Gonna be a Preston-Burnley opening dayer, can already feel it.

We'll start off at home to Reading or something.
Dulwich Hamlet (Ryman Premier League) well and truly losing all our players that provided us with great goals and teamwork. Next season already looking tricky
Original post by Tony_LeaS
Dulwich Hamlet (Ryman Premier League) well and truly losing all our players that provided us with great goals and teamwork. Next season already looking tricky

Oh crap, I'm gutted to hear that. You are a name I keep an eye on and I keep intending to make a match if I'm in London while you've got a home game. I hope you get it figured out and put together a good squad for next season.
Original post by Jangrafess
Oh crap, I'm gutted to hear that. You are a name I keep an eye on and I keep intending to make a match if I'm in London while you've got a home game. I hope you get it figured out and put together a good squad for next season.

We were extremely unlucky with the playoffs, especially with the delay. Although this year with Maidstone and Margate going up, we are probably favourites to win the league for the National South League next year.

Fixtures are coming out soon I believe, although don't hold my word on that. We got a few good pre-season friendlies, Peterborough and Charlton looking like good fun
Fixtures announced on June 17. Can't wait.
This new statistical management structure at Brentford, spearheaded by Marinus Dijkhuizen, is bizarre. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
Some chatter that we're trying to bring back Giles Barnes to the iPro.

It would be a truly magical story if he came back and tore this league apart. Having watched him at the age of 19, I was convinced he'd go on to play for England. And I mean absolutely convinced.

Unfortunately, he suffered that horrific injury and he's now plying his trade in the MLS. Bit of a downfall haha.
Just waiting for Sako to confirm he's signing a 10 year contract and bringing the rest of the Mali squad with him.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Just waiting for Sako to confirm he's signing a 10 year contract and bringing the rest of the Mali squad with him.

Then your team would go down the ****ter again
Original post by DarrenBCFC
Then your team would go down the ****ter again

It was a joke mate. Thanks for ruining our playoff chances again.
Original post by hskjlclcn
It was a joke mate. Thanks for ruining our playoff chances again.

It was not our fault there was one point in the season where you lost 6 games on the bounce
Reply 3797
One more Brentford fan here :smile: lets get the party started! Promotion next season I can feel it cmon you bees
Original post by JBlad
One more Brentford fan here :smile: lets get the party started! Promotion next season I can feel it cmon you bees

Good luck without Warburton.

Depending on how they structure their teams I think the teams fighting for Promotion will be: Middlesborugh, Ipswich, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest and Wolves with Derby, Brentford possibly getting a playoff spot depending on their managers.
Reply 3799
^I can see that, maybe Ipswich will drop off, I just feel they haven't got enough about them. Nah the whole point about this new manager is its not all going to be about "the manager" etc, its more about the structure and ethos, won't go into details at the mo I've had to do it in pubs too often! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest