The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Airfairy...apply anyway and phone to explain. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an interview for Wednesday! Only issue is that I'll still be on my crutches :frown:
Original post by Airfairy
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I had to make up five days so instead of finishing next Friday I finish the Friday after. I'm not too bothered because that second week is a uni week so I still finish the complete course on the same day.

Job hunt is pretty non-existent! I am looking at pastoral but not much in that regard either. I guess I will end up doing supply for a bit.

Ahh I saw your post about the job! Phone them up and explain :smile: at least then you'll have tried! Is it pastoral?

I had my obs, I thought it wasn't very good but my professional mentor said it was a really strong lesson and if he was observing me as a teacher and not a PGCE student, it'd still be a really strong lesson.

Ohh that's good that you can finish at the same time as everyone else! I'm so excited to finish now.

Original post by gemmam
Thanks for your reply I think I'll do that. I've also taken the issue up with my MP he's suppose to be very good so hopefully he'll help me.

I'd definitely print screen and forward the emails.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I have an interview for Wednesday! Only issue is that I'll still be on my crutches :frown:

Ahh awesome! Congrats :smile: that's not an issue! It's a chance for you to show what you can really do even on crutches!
Original post by Samus2
Ahh I saw your post about the job! Phone them up and explain :smile: at least then you'll have tried! Is it pastoral?

I had my obs, I thought it wasn't very good but my professional mentor said it was a really strong lesson and if he was observing me as a teacher and not a PGCE student, it'd still be a really strong lesson.

Ohh that's good that you can finish at the same time as everyone else! I'm so excited to finish now.

I'd definitely print screen and forward the emails.

Ahh awesome! Congrats :smile: that's not an issue! It's a chance for you to show what you can really do even on crutches!

Thanks for your reply. I forwarded them to my MP today going to see what he suggests before I forward them to the college.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gemmam
Thanks for your reply. I forwarded them to my MP today going to see what he suggests before I forward them to the college.

Another possible source of help would be your union if you are still a member... The college should have mentioned them or had some event for you to join at the start of the course. Though they sound rubbish so maybe not!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Another possible source of help would be your union if you are still a member... The college should have mentioned them or had some event for you to join at the start of the course. Though they sound rubbish so maybe not!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

They did actually suggest that we join the NUT at the start of the course which I joined. I did contact them shortly before I left but they just told me to go to the college's Student Union (which I did but the email bounced back and the phone number was disconnected so I'm not sure if they actually had one).
Reply 6626
Hi guys,

Long time follower, first time poster

Hope placements are going well, not long to go now!
Quick question: how long is it before you hear back after submitting a job application? Im starting to really worry about jobs!
7 more teaching days... my God I can't wait.
Original post by tamiic
Hi guys,

Long time follower, first time poster

Hope placements are going well, not long to go now!
Quick question: how long is it before you hear back after submitting a job application? Im starting to really worry about jobs!

Generally it is quite fast with teaching jobs. I'd say if you haven't heard within a week (of the closing date) then it's likely you haven't got an interview. The only time this didn't apply to me was a place who had already interviewed and readvertised once then they contacted me like two months later. Obviously desperate :rolleyes:
Reply 6628
Original post by Airfairy
7 more teaching days... my God I can't wait.

Generally it is quite fast with teaching jobs. I'd say if you haven't heard within a week (of the closing date) then it's likely you haven't got an interview. The only time this didn't apply to me was a place who had already interviewed and readvertised once then they contacted me like two months later. Obviously desperate :rolleyes:

Haha, I have 4 weeks left, 2 teaching weeks, 2 enhancement weeks. I agreed to carry on teaching in the enhancement period (what was i thinking?!)

Thanks for your reply, I think Im getting worked up because i havent had interviews yet!
Original post by tamiic
Haha, I have 4 weeks left, 2 teaching weeks, 2 enhancement weeks. I agreed to carry on teaching in the enhancement period (what was i thinking?!)

Thanks for your reply, I think Im getting worked up because i havent had interviews yet!

How many applications have you filled in? And what level/subject? That can change a lot.
Just finished collating and anonymising my portfolio etc to hand in to uni! Hope it's all ok but will definately be a load off my mind when it's handed in!
Original post by gemmam
They did actually suggest that we join the NUT at the start of the course which I joined. I did contact them shortly before I left but they just told me to go to the college's Student Union (which I did but the email bounced back and the phone number was disconnected so I'm not sure if they actually had one).

Ah, I guess NUT and NUS are affiliated! I have only seen how ATL and NASUWT handle issues (both very well if anyone's interested!).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Ah, I guess NUT and NUS are affiliated! I have only seen how ATL and NASUWT handle issues (both very well if anyone's interested!).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was never told about those but I will definitely join them if/when I ever decide to go back to teaching.
Last day of uni tomorrow for a tutorial and then that is it no mor. This has been some journey!
Still feeling emotional and crappy, had to hold it together at school today and now I'm so over tired from crying and just being generally miserable that I can't sleep.

Part of me is tempted to give myself a day tomorrow, but, I'd have to spend a while setting cover work anyway
Original post by Samus2
Still feeling emotional and crappy, had to hold it together at school today and now I'm so over tired from crying and just being generally miserable that I can't sleep.

Part of me is tempted to give myself a day tomorrow, but, I'd have to spend a while setting cover work anyway

Seriously, sometimes you just need that day. Take it from me, there are no thanks for breaking your neck in this job.
Original post by gemmam
I was never told about those but I will definitely join them if/when I ever decide to go back to teaching.

You normally just join one of the three, but its definitely worth joining all with a free student membership if and when you begin training again. Then you can get a feel for them and decide which one is right for you.

xxx
Classroom noise level is just too high all the time...

I can't utilise talk partners well. Don't know what to do.
Spent the day in a primary school. I'm well jealous of their quiet lunchtimes! Some even had time to eat salads and talk about their weekends. I'm usually on intervention duty trying to eat a sandwich with one hand and marking with the other.

I'm so scared for tomorrow's interview. Not sure how to make a good impression lessonwise :frown:

Original post by Tombola
Classroom noise level is just too high all the time...

I can't utilise talk partners well. Don't know what to do.

Set it as a privilege that they lose if they mesa about. I did it a lot at the start and now they're all little quiet darlings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a terrible day today. Just stressful and constant noise. Six teaching days...

I am so burnt out and ready to end now. I can't imagine the idea of working until the end of term! The idea of having to do four more weeks on top of mine makes me feel sick! I'm on the end of a break down and I think I will last just long enough but not one day more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending