The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Right, I'm teaching ten KS5 pupils for 30 mins tomorrow for my interview.

Would paired work creating a work sheet be an appropriate task? The topic I've been given is very dry. Not sure if they'll have the time or what kind of plenary I could fit in at the end though. I have an absolutely insane migraine going on so thinking is super painful :frown:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Right, I'm teaching ten KS5 pupils for 30 mins tomorrow for my interview.

Would paired work creating a work sheet be an appropriate task? The topic I've been given is very dry. Not sure if they'll have the time or what kind of plenary I could fit in at the end though. I have an absolutely insane migraine going on so thinking is super painful :frown:

Creating a worksheet? What do you mean by this? They are to create their own questions on the topic?
Original post by Airfairy
Creating a worksheet? What do you mean by this? They are to create their own questions on the topic?

So something like a quiz, wordsearch, puzzle etc. I've done it a few times but usually it's an hour long lesson so they create a fact/revision sheet plus worksheet. The class rotates to read all of the fact sheets and then they're assigned a random worksheet to complete.
So something like a quiz, wordsearch, puzzle etc. I've done it a few times but usually it's an hour long lesson so they create a fact/revision sheet plus worksheet. The class rotates to read all of the fact sheets and then they're assigned a random worksheet to complete.

Oh sounds interesting. I've never done anything like that before. I like the idea of mixing them up so they answer each other's sheets though. Could work well. From experience though, make sure you're doing some teaching. I had a KS5 interview once and my lesson was WAY too independent and I felt like I had no major role because I hadn't done any stand up teaching. It was a disaster.
Oh sounds interesting. I've never done anything like that before. I like the idea of mixing them up so they answer each other's sheets though. Could work well. From experience though, make sure you're doing some teaching. I had a KS5 interview once and my lesson was WAY too independent and I felt like I had no major role because I hadn't done any stand up teaching. It was a disaster.

Maybe I could teach the 5 things briefly, hand the topics to the pairs to have them create the worksheet and then swap it over? So I cut out the fact sheet making and get straight to processing the information they've been given.

30 minute lessons are haaaaard!

I might do a 5 question backup kahoot quiz for if they get through each others worksheets a little too quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe I could teach the 5 things briefly, hand the topics to the pairs to have them create the worksheet and then swap it over? So I cut out the fact sheet making and get straight to processing the information they've been given.

30 minute lessons are haaaaard!

I might do a 5 question backup kahoot quiz for if they get through each others worksheets a little too quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could incorporate Bloom's somehow into this? Like maybe when they create their worksheets they could start each worksheet question with a Bloom's buzz word that goes up the scale the more questions they write. This help with differentiation.

Had a terrible day today. Just stressful and constant noise. Six teaching days...

I am so burnt out and ready to end now. I can't imagine the idea of working until the end of term! The idea of having to do four more weeks on top of mine makes me feel sick! I'm on the end of a break down and I think I will last just long enough but not one day more!

I feel the same as you: burnt out. I have nearly three teaching weeks left. I have done the schools direct non-salaried route so I have spent the entire year in school. Even though I am nearly there I still feel like I will never get to the end. It has been a painful and tough journey for me overall and I have been so out of my comfort zone. I am glad I did the course but I will feel relieved at the end.
Feeling kind of overwhelmed right now. Am in a new school with all of the trappings that come with this... new class, new differentiation, new behaviour, SEN, new mentor and colleagues... all without knowing whether I will still be on the course next week. I also have no idea how I will be assessed this week, or if I'm being observed. I love the school but cannot wait for all the uncertainty to be over.

edit: Oh and if I do stay on the course, I'll have another six weeks left. Not sure where I'll find the energy for this.

Sorry for the whining!
Original post by alabelle
Feeling kind of overwhelmed right now. Am in a new school with all of the trappings that come with this... new class, new differentiation, new behaviour, SEN, new mentor and colleagues... all without knowing whether I will still be on the course next week. I also have no idea how I will be assessed this week, or if I'm being observed. I love the school but cannot wait for all the uncertainty to be over.

edit: Oh and if I do stay on the course, I'll have another six weeks left. Not sure where I'll find the energy for this.

Sorry for the whining!

It'll be tough for the first week, but by next week you might decide this was the best thing to happen to you.

I had a similar(ish) situation when I trained, except I got moved to a different school BEFORE my course even started (I was School Direct and employed as a TA in the school for a term and a half the previous academic year).

I won't go into details, but suffice to say it was upsetting, traumatic and a major knock to my confidence. Within a week though I realised it was the best thing that could have happened and I ended up training in a school I LOVED.

Hopefully by next week you will feel more settled and hopefully find your stride a bit more. Best of luck!
Original post by TraineeLynsey
It'll be tough for the first week, but by next week you might decide this was the best thing to happen to you.

I had a similar(ish) situation when I trained, except I got moved to a different school BEFORE my course even started (I was School Direct and employed as a TA in the school for a term and a half the previous academic year).

I won't go into details, but suffice to say it was upsetting, traumatic and a major knock to my confidence. Within a week though I realised it was the best thing that could have happened and I ended up training in a school I LOVED.

Hopefully by next week you will feel more settled and hopefully find your stride a bit more. Best of luck!

Thank you. Unfortunately this arrangement is just for 1 week and they are deciding on Friday whether I will even be able to continue on the course. I do hope it ends up being a good thing though.
I have decided not to go into teaching yet my tutor keeps sending me job adverts. I plan to tell her that I am not interested.
Girlfriend has made me feel really awful about the job I'm going for tomorrow. She suggested it based on how easy it is to get to on the train (15 minute journey and a short walk) and really pushed me to apply. But they want me there early (I assume to meet the headteacher before his day starts?) so she needs to drop me at the station earlier than expected and so she threw a hissyfit and stropped off to bed.

Feeling a awful now and it's really taken the excitement out of tomorrow. I feel like cancelling completely. What if I regularly need to be there early? It'll always be an issue. I won't even have time to talk it over with her now since she's asleep and we'll only have the car ride in the morning :/

Original post by Juichiro
I have decided not to go into teaching yet my tutor keeps sending me job adverts. I plan to tell her that I am not interested.

They'll do it for their quota. It looks bad on them if one of their trainees doesn't find work.

They'll do it for their quota. It looks bad on them if one of their trainees doesn't find work.

I suspected as much. Who told you that?
I suspected as much. Who told you that?

It's just general knowledge at my uni. Anyone without a job is now being hunted down by their course tutor with jobs being thrown at us left, right and centre.
It's just general knowledge at my uni. Anyone without a job is now being hunted down by their course tutor with jobs being thrown at us left, right and centre.

Yeah, that is a very appropriate verb.

Yeah true, I'm starting an RE PGCE in Sept and had my interview with SD people. They told us at interview that 100% of the last SD cohort found jobs by Easter but only 92% of the RE PGCE...they were very quick to point out that this was because one guy had decided to become a vicar and therefore messed up their stats!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

She was probably just tired, and you are nervous. I know this is a little late since you're likely already there, but don't worry about that yet. You can look at options and figure out how to make it work if you get it (walking or biking to station, bus, learning to drive, car share?).

Remember,although it's true that good employment figures reflect well on PGCEs (naturally a worry since the government wants any excuse to get rid of places) some tutors actually do care about the students they are training. I have several tutors who were/are lovely and really do want us to be happy. Of course they want us to stay in teaching too because they are passionate about teaching and want good teachers to keep in the job, especially since it's a bit rats leaving a sinking ship at the minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
She was probably just tired, and you are nervous. I know this is a little late since you're likely already there, but don't worry about that yet. You can look at options and figure out how to make it work if you get it (walking or biking to station, bus, learning to drive, car share?).

Remember,although it's true that good employment figures reflect well on PGCEs (naturally a worry since the government wants any excuse to get rid of places) some tutors actually do care about the students they are training. I have several tutors who were/are lovely and really do want us to be happy. Of course they want us to stay in teaching too because they are passionate about teaching and want good teachers to keep in the job, especially since it's a bit rats leaving a sinking ship at the minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having been there today, it was a whole load of fuss about nothing. Easily walkable (without crutches) and my local trains kick in early enough to get me to the main station early enough to be there an hour before I'm needed in school.

All manageable. Interview went well and in the end it came down to me and another woman currently doing supply there. They'll call us tomorrow to let us know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having been there today, it was a whole load of fuss about nothing. Easily walkable (without crutches) and my local trains kick in early enough to get me to the main station early enough to be there an hour before I'm needed in school.

All manageable. Interview went well and in the end it came down to me and another woman currently doing supply there. They'll call us tomorrow to let us know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, sounds promising! Glad it went well... Fingers crossed!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Oh, sounds promising! Glad it went well... Fingers crossed!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really enjoyed the day so would be incredibly happy to get it. Waiting is definitely the hardest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really enjoyed the day so would be incredibly happy to get it. Waiting is definitely the hardest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely is. When I got my current job, I couldn't handle waiting by the phone. I actually went to bed at 7pm to make myself stop thinking about it and was woken up half an hour later by a phone call from the head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending