The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin Literature Set-texts 2015 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lola1244
haha oh I think I wont get 8 marks lol, but yes your points are soo good!! I think i've got about 40 in that paper, hopefully my language papers will bring it up :smile:

Haha thanks I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Would two A*s in the language papers and two As in the literatures be enough for an A* overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393

Would two A*s in the language papers and two As in the literatures be enough for an A* overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I am a bit confused about!! I think it depends what mark you get in each module :/ but if the language 2 paper is around 52 which I think it normally is then hopefully we can pull it up by quite a few marks???
That's what I am a bit confused about!! I think it depends what mark you get in each module :/ but if the language 2 paper is around 52 which I think it normally is then hopefully we can pull it up by quite a few marks???

I've looked it up, it's 360UMS/400 UMS for an A*. So if, say you got 100UMS on Paper One, you could afford to get 80 on another paper to average out to 90% overall. So what I'm trying to say is you don't need 90UMS in each paper but you can get extra marks from certain papers and drop more marks elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
how did you find it?
what do you think for this 8 marker- im not sure its very good haha
they should be praised because they are just ordinary warriors yet undertake a very dangerous expedition

Generaly I concluded that although they themselves as characters are brave and conform to the classical concept of heroism due to their bold actions their situation. But their headless actions don't justify the needless destruction that they caused. Additionally their actions and deaths are tragedies from virgil's view point as demonstrated by his description of their death in the poppy simile. I then related Virgils narrative viewpoint to the situation of Rome following the civil wars and also differences between modern and classical views of war and loss of life. So that although they're brave characters their action don't deserved to be revered and for that reason they deserved to be pitied for their youth, beauty and love for each other.
What did people put for why Nisus prayed to Diana?

I put she was the guardian of the woods (taken from the text)

And they I inferred that she was the Goddess of hunting but this wasn't in the suggested lines as the other two points didn't really answer the question?!
Original post by alex...000

And they I inferred that she was the Goddess of hunting but this wasn't in the suggested lines as the other two points didn't really answer the question?!

I said she was the goddess of the moon so would have the power to guide the arrow through the the night sky. I also said that we was the goddess of hunting and as Nisus has prowess in regards to hunting she would be the goddess most obliged to help him, due to the reciprocal relationship between men and gods.

In all honesty I had to take a bit of a punt on this question and not sure if this is right/relevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends. If they're high A* then very likely. If not, then it depends if you get right on the boundary on A* and whether you get high A's as it's done on UMS.
grade boundaries are seriously high...
Original post by StressedByDay
grade boundaries are seriously high...

For language 2 thy aren't that high...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xphoenix
For language 2 thy aren't that high...

Posted from TSR Mobile

any idea what the boundaries are for each unit :smile:
Reply 110
yes- last year i did ancient greek- i got 84% in literature and 88% in sources but 97% and 98% in language papers-and that gave an a star- so I think its just if you get above 90% overall
lol it's crazy high but I guess people find latin easy.
Original post by alex...000

I put exactly the same as you!
any idea what the boundaries are for each unit :smile:

All these are a* boundaries (in my mind)

Language 1: 53
Language 2: 50
Prose:43
Verse:39

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xphoenix
All these are a* boundaries (in my mind)

Language 1: 53
Language 2: 50
Prose:43
Verse:39

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping verse is lower than last year's too (42/50) I found the exam hard!
Original post by Cookiemonster057
I'm hoping verse is lower than last year's too (42/50) I found the exam hard!

Yeah. That's why I think it'll be 49 rather than 42. Definitely slightly lower either way imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put that she was close to him since it said 'praesens' and also she was the guard of the forest, 'nemorum custos.' I have no idea if that's right!
What is this 'sources paper' that everyone keeps talking about? o.O
Original post by Röberto
What is this 'sources paper' that everyone keeps talking about? o.O

In a way, it's kind of like History. We have a prescribed list of sources which cover a range of aspects about Roman life and we have to critically analyse them. I have attached one below if you are interested.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/134439-question-paper-unit-a405-02-sources-for-latin-higher-tier-insert.pdf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/134438-question-paper-unit-a405-02-sources-for-latin-higher-tier.pdf
Original post by sciencelover99
In a way, it's kind of like History. We have a prescribed list of sources which cover a range of aspects about Roman life and we have to critically analyse them. I have attached one below if you are interested.

Was it discontinued? I've never heard my teacher speak of it before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending