The Student Room Group

Where do Oxbridge rejects go?

Where are the favourited alternatives to Oxbridge in general. From what I understand, the main ones tend to be:

1) Durham/Bristol/St Andrews
2) UCL/LSE/Imperial
3) York/Edinburgh/Kings

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Why, are you thinking of becoming an Oxbridge reject?
coventry
Reply 3
Original post by EPluribus Unum
Why, are you thinking of becoming an Oxbridge reject?

I am an oxbridge reject. I just want to know other people's views from their experience.
Original post by anj4845
Where do Oxbridge rejects go?

The pub probably :smile:
Original post by anj4845
I am an oxbridge reject. I just want to know other people's views from their experience.

Well they go to the dole queue, because everyone knows your life is over if you don't get into oxbridge. :wink:
It entirely depends. Mostly, Oxbridge applicants will want to go to the best university possible for their subject, and if their application to Oxbridge falls through that will often send them to Durham/UCL (arts subjects), LSE (social sciences) or Imperial (science subjects). Other common ones are York, Edinburgh and Exeter. But it is dependent on the individual and their course choice and what they want in a uni. A boy I know has turned down Oxford for Exeter, and another is going to Lancaster after their rejection from Cambridge.
Reply 8
Original post by paradoxicalme
It entirely depends. Mostly, Oxbridge applicants will want to go to the best university possible for their subject, and if their application to Oxbridge falls through that will often send them to Durham/UCL (arts subjects), LSE (social sciences) or Imperial (science subjects). Other common ones are York, Edinburgh and Exeter. But it is dependent on the individual and their course choice and what they want in a uni. A boy I know has turned down Oxford for Exeter, and another is going to Lancaster after their rejection from Cambridge.

I agree with you there. I just find it interesting that Oxbridge rejects tend to go to the likes of Edinburgh, York and Edinburgh over comparable universities like Manchester for example.
Original post by Little Toy Gun

It's probably harder to get into Harvard than Oxbridge. I don't think they would consider if they didn't apply in the first place...
Original post by Imperion
It's probably harder to get into Harvard than Oxbridge. I don't think they would consider if they didn't apply in the first place...

Well, in the link someone was rejected by Oxford but accepted by Harvard, and then Cambridge.
Well, in the link someone was rejected by Oxford but accepted by Harvard, and then Cambridge.

That's amazing :eek:
Original post by anj4845
I agree with you there. I just find it interesting that Oxbridge rejects tend to go to the likes of Edinburgh, York and Edinburgh over comparable universities like Manchester for example.

Edinburgh is Top 20 globally on QS. Manchester is Top 40.
Original post by anj4845

I've seen a fair few physicists go to Manchester (Manc is supposed to be very good for physics) but not as many else. However, I have seen several people at my school with Oxbridge-level grades forgo applying to Oxbridge and go for Manchester.
I'm a Cambridge reject and I'm going to Birmingham.
East London
Original post by anj4845
Where are the favourited alternatives to Oxbridge in general. From what I understand, the main ones tend to be:

1) Durham/Bristol/St Andrews
2) UCL/LSE/Imperial
3) York/Edinburgh/Kings

What do you think?

I think you got that just about right. Where are you going to go personally I prefer the toilet?

I guess it depends on what course you're going to study - what are you going to study?
(edited 8 years ago)

Good for her for taking responsibility and saying that she simply didn't cut it. I respect that a lot.

They look at different things. You need strong ECs whereas they don't matter for all at Oxbridge. It wouldn't surprise me to see some people with that being accepted by Harvard after being rejected by Oxford. 'Well-roundedness' matters an awful lot more for US schools too. Here, since you pick your subject from the outset, they're basically looking at aptitude for that subject.

On topic, in my experience favourites are Durham, Bristol, ICL, LSE, UCL, KCL.
(edited 8 years ago)
That's amazing :eek:

Haha you can only apply to one of the two not both seems legit :colondollar:
Reply 19
Original post by Paladian
I think you got that just about right. Where are you going to go personally I prefer the toilet?

I guess it depends on what course you're going to study - what are you going to study?

My firm is UCL but don't think I've got A*AA so probably going to York which is AAA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending