The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
From what I was told during my induction day to my NQT school, sometimes it's better to become a cover supervisor that's hired by a school rather than an agency?

What's induction like? I'm terrified that I don't know what's going to happen and I'd rather be prepared!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
What's induction like? I'm terrified that I don't know what's going to happen and I'd rather be prepared!

My induction day was amazingly boring. It was info like-

Security codes on doors
Fire escape plans
Photocopying etiquette
SLT framework
School policies
etc etc
Original post by Airfairy
It's only just hit me that I no longer have an income and am living off my savings with no job lined up. I don't know why it's taken so long to hit me but sat in my hotel room I was thinking about what I'm going to do when I get home and then I realised I can't do much...I will have no income for the foreseeable future. Anxiety setting in...

I am going to sign up for supply. I don't know much about it though. Is it enough for a reliable income? How often do you get work?

Congratulations, I can't imagine the relief you must feel!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tips I were given were, speak to tutors and keep in touch with course mates as they may have links for you to find something, and go in person to schools, perhaps with a little cvish thing about you as a teacher who a picture so they remember who you are, as many schools don't like to hire random supply people through an agency because they have no idea who they're getting. You could even volunteer or visit for a short time at some schools. It's a good experience to see how different schools work while you have the time and it also gives them a chance to see and know you.

Also look in to whether your county council has their own supply list as this won't involve agency fees, fees if you get a permanent job etc.

Original post by Sarahs.cheddars
Don't mean to hijack your guys conversation but this thread seems an appropriate place to ask!

I'm volunteering as much as possible in primary schools to build up my experience, get used to expectations etc. I'm looking to do some reading aswell though to clue myself up.
Can anyone recommend any good teaching books? Specifically primary. I've Seen 'how to teach' by Phil beadle but I understand this is mostly secondary teaching advice.
'How to be an outstanding primary teacher' is the only primary based one I've seen, is it any good? Any reccomendations welcome!
Sarah x

Our uni recommended several books and set a project to do with childrens lives. So reading lots of books about the life of children, things like Anita and me and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, plus lots of childrens books (it can be handy to keep a spreadsheet by topic so you can easily find them again when you teach a certain thing). Also things about childhood... One on our list was " the story of childhood", which had writing about several real children.

If you're looking for something more heavy I'd recommend Children, their world, their education: the Cambridge primary review (can't remember if the first part of the title is precisely right!). Or at least, some of it lol. It's very big. Probably a library job rather than a buy!

I also read Reading Under Control before I started. I don't think that sort of thing is necessary by any means but I think it did help as I already knew and understood all the technical phonics terms etc before starting which some people didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the book suggestions, I will definitely have a look at them! Any more suggestions welcome
Thanks, sarah
X
Does anyone know how failing a PGCE impacts on the uni? Is it in any statistics/ofsted? I'm just worried about passing these two essays that I have to resit and wanted to know if the lecturers have an incentive to help me, because they've been really unhelpful and untrustworthy so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all, hope those who've finished the course are enjoying a well-deserved break.

I'm due to start NQT induction in Sept...in the meantime my head of dept asked me to come in for a few weeks to do cover. I started this last week and didn't much enjoy it!

I seemed to be covering classes whose teachers have been off sick for a long while..so they've had loads of different supply teachers...and to put it bluntly, they seem to have gone a bit wild! The HOD and other teachers have been backing me up with behaviour but at some points I felt like the kids see me as 'just another supply'; I'd lost complete control. Really demoralising start, the opposite of the 'clean slate/here are my rules' I was hoping to implement in Sept.

Plus I'm only being paid from (I guess) the bottom of the unqualified payscale...doing 4/5 lessons a day...it feels a bit much really.

Any advice? Is this normal?
(Oh and for those looking for 'alternative to teaching' jobs...I saw a job advertised the other day...'education officer' in a museum...doing tours and activities with kids. Really low paid (15k) but I would imagine a lot less stress and a lot of fun.
Original post by Mr Student
I feel the same. However, what kills me the most is that I am starting to question the relevance of my subjects (Economics, Business, and ICT to KS3). If you asked me to honestly say whether I thought that what I teach is equipping kids for the real world of work, I'd have to say no. My main subjects (Business and Economics, and there's more Business than Economics going on in the teaching world these days) generally require students to remember facts and write essays. My school is a production line where all the senior leaders care about are grades, grades, grades and maintaining Outstanding status. We have a couple of students who will leave with 16 GCSEs across 4 BTEC subjects: Travel, Business, PE (with no physical element) and Childcare Studies. How is it possible that they don't do English and Maths? Surely they'd be better off with 8 GCSEs incl. Eng, Maths and Science?

I know education is a political football that politicians like to kick around but I personally think that there's a lot of room for improvement. Not to make teachers' lives hell, but to allow the students to get ahead in life. Then again, if you take a back to basics approach you may create another elitist system which isolates students who don't find it engaging. This profession goes over my head. I just don't know how we can best provide young people with an education ...

i have few friends who have been released from prison in the last year or so and they describe their time in there to their school life. set breaks. set working hours. obey do not question the man in charge. frightening.

Most schools these days are literally designed as prisons.

makes me think of Orwell, 1984
Does anyone know how failing a PGCE impacts on the uni? Is it in any statistics/ofsted? I'm just worried about passing these two essays that I have to resit and wanted to know if the lecturers have an incentive to help me, because they've been really unhelpful and untrustworthy so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Ofsted only cares about the vocational side of the course (i.e. QTS and teaching things). The academic qualification is in a limbo I think. Your subject tutor should be supporting you, btw.
I've got an inset day at my NQT school this week.... I'm so nervous! I hate the 'first day' anywhere new. I think there's a few new teachers starting, so at least I won't be the only newbie :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wondered about this too. I think the reason I was under so much pressure to withdraw was because of their stats. They gave me 48 hours to withdraw when I've since realised they can't put it through the system until a certain date anyway! Do you have the opportunity to resist your essays?

Original post by greenbeans123
(Oh and for those looking for 'alternative to teaching' jobs...I saw a job advertised the other day...'education officer' in a museum...doing tours and activities with kids. Really low paid (15k) but I would imagine a lot less stress and a lot of fun.

Yeah I have just applied to be an education officer at a football club! These jobs are uncommon but look fun.

My first day involved the admin side of things - who the relevant people were
tour of the school
staff conduct
staffroom/lunch arrangements
Department time
SIMS training

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Juichiro
I think Ofsted only cares about the vocational side of the course (i.e. QTS and teaching things). The academic qualification is in a limbo I think. Your subject tutor should be supporting you, btw.

Failing the academic side of things will impact on the university just as much as the teaching side of things. It all goes to the individual tutors statistics and reports. Even if you passed the essay at level 6, that'd be on the tutors record that 98% managed a level 7 pass and 2% didn't
Original post by Samus2
My first day involved the admin side of things - who the relevant people were
tour of the school
staff conduct
staffroom/lunch arrangements
Department time
SIMS training

Failing the academic side of things will impact on the university just as much as the teaching side of things. It all goes to the individual tutors statistics and reports. Even if you passed the essay at level 6, that'd be on the tutors record that 98% managed a level 7 pass and 2% didn't

Woah, I did not know that! :0 How did you find it out?
Original post by Juichiro
Woah, I did not know that! :0 How did you find it out?

We have three tutors oer the course of the year and 3 different essays, when I told my Curriculum tutor that I didn't really care about the last one because I had the masters for the other two essays and therefore the PGCE, he said that it affects his record
God its my first day at my new job. I got told to show up for 10, im like half an hour early and i feel ready to throw up im so anxious!
Reply 6835
Long time haven't been here!

Can someone tell me what happens during induction please?

My school started my contract in September which is kind of terrifying - I haven't been told anything about induction or of that sort just my starting date..

My HOD has asked me to come in 2 days this week, to get some sort of 'hand over' information from the teacher leaving - is this supposed to be paid? How do I bring that up with her for some reason, I'm assuming she expects me to go in willy nilly without pay, is this how is supposed to be? :/

HALP PLEASE!
Original post by Sam89
Long time haven't been here!

Can someone tell me what happens during induction please?

My school started my contract in September which is kind of terrifying - I haven't been told anything about induction or of that sort just my starting date..

My HOD has asked me to come in 2 days this week, to get some sort of 'hand over' information from the teacher leaving - is this supposed to be paid? How do I bring that up with her for some reason, I'm assuming she expects me to go in willy nilly without pay, is this how is supposed to be? :/

HALP PLEASE!

I've been told by multiple people to expect pay for "handover" days since they're above and beyond. Apparently we're supposed to assert ourselves as not being pushovers but I would have no idea how to handle that. I'm going in next week hopefully but I have no idea what's happening regarding pay.

I don't handle these sorts of situations well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6837
I've been told by multiple people to expect pay for "handover" days since they're above and beyond. Apparently we're supposed to assert ourselves as not being pushovers but I would have no idea how to handle that. I'm going in next week hopefully but I have no idea what's happening regarding pay.

I don't handle these sorts of situations well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: what do you mean by above and beyond? *nervous*
Original post by Sam89
:frown: what do you mean by above and beyond? *nervous*

As in, not an actual requirement of the job but rather an additional thing that we can choose to do.
Feeling completely confused. Have tried speaking to my department to find out what is going on now that I have withdrawn from QTS, because I've been applying to TA roles and don't know how to describe my situation. The department told me that I have a 'post-graduate certificate in the theory of education' but wouldn't elaborate on what this meant. All they kept repeating was that I will not be able to teach (which was the one thing I did know). I asked if this was the same as having a PGCE without QTS (which is how I've been describing it so far) but they said this was not true. I'm feeling very frustrated and confused. I don't even know if I am expected to attend graduation and the department's way of speaking to me was so unhelpful ("I don't know how to... it's a post graduate cert in theory of education!) They tried to tell me I had only passed two modules (when I've been told I've passed the third academic one) and then when I told them this they said it didn't count! Not got a clue who I need to speak to next as I've been told my case is 'rare' and nobody seems to have a clue!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending