The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

So my ideal job closed today (at lunch time) and they are interviewing on Wednesday. Should I have heard by now?

A few people have said that it sounds like a stitch up (like they already have internals lined up) because of the short closing-interview time. Do you think that's true?
Today was my first day of my NQT induction week today. The amount of information given today was overwhelming. The difference in responsibility(pgce trainee and NQT) given is overwhelming too.

I have a feeling that the NQT year will be the biggest learning curve of my life. I'm kind of looking forward to, it at the same time, I am slightly nervous.
Original post by Red Lightning
The difference in responsibility(pgce trainee and NQT) given is overwhelming too.

Can you provide more details about this? I've not looked into it since I don't have an NQT position.
Original post by Airfairy
Can you provide more details about this? I've not looked into it since I don't have an NQT position.

Sorry I meant to say expectation. For starters, I knew that NQT taught to a 90% timetable, but I did not know that it amounted to 19/20 hours a week, that is a lot of hours given that my second placement I taught 12 to 13 hours. In terms of responsibility,
So my ideal job closed today (at lunch time) and they are interviewing on Wednesday. Should I have heard by now?

A few people have said that it sounds like a stitch up (like they already have internals lined up) because of the short closing-interview time. Do you think that's true?

My new job (I'm nqt+1) closed on a Tuesday and the interviews were on Thursday. They rang me Tuesday night. And there's nothing dodgy about my school. They just wanted to appoint before the half term!

I'd say you've still got time for them to ring you - it isn't unheard of to be rung the day before! And also they probably have a quick turnaround because it's so close to the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was my first day of my NQT induction week today. The amount of information given today was overwhelming. The difference in responsibility(pgce trainee and NQT) given is overwhelming too.

I have a feeling that the NQT year will be the biggest learning curve of my life. I'm kind of looking forward to, it at the same time, I am slightly nervous.

:yep:
Sorry I meant to say expectation. For starters, I knew that NQT taught to a 90% timetable, but I did not know that it amounted to 19/20 hours a week, that is a lot of hours given that my second placement I taught 12 to 13 hours. In terms of responsibility,

You should get that checked - its 80% for NQTs, 90% for non NQTs
Original post by Samus2
You should get that checked - its 80% for NQTs, 90% for non NQTs

I've never heard 80%. 99% sure it's 90%.
Original post by outlaw-torn
My new job (I'm nqt+1) closed on a Tuesday and the interviews were on Thursday. They rang me Tuesday night. And there's nothing dodgy about my school. They just wanted to appoint before the half term!

I'd say you've still got time for them to ring you - it isn't unheard of to be rung the day before! And also they probably have a quick turnaround because it's so close to the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Gives me a little hope until tomorrow.
It's 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

But a full teacher's timetable is 90% of the total lesson time in a school week (10% PPA time).

So an NQT timetable should be around 80% of a full week. If your school has 30 x 50 minute lessons per week, you would be teaching 24 lessons (27 after the NQT year) and if it has 25 x 60 minute lessons per week you would be teaching 20 lessons (22 after the NQT year).

For me, it built up quite naturally from the PGCE:
-1st placement - 10 lessons per week
-2nd placement - 17 lessons per week
-NQT year - 24 lessons per week
-NQT+1 - 27 lessons per week

Obviously if you haven't heard by the end of the school day then I'd guess you haven't got an interview. But you'll probably get a call in the morning! Fingers crossed for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myrtille
It's 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

But a full teacher's timetable is 90% of the total lesson time in a school week (10% PPA time).

So an NQT timetable should be around 80% of a full week. If your school has 30 x 50 minute lessons per week, you would be teaching 24 lessons (27 after the NQT year) and if it has 25 x 60 minute lessons per week you would be teaching 20 lessons (22 after the NQT year).

For me, it built up quite naturally from the PGCE:
-1st placement - 10 lessons per week
-2nd placement - 17 lessons per week
-NQT year - 24 lessons per week
-NQT+1 - 27 lessons per week

Oh yeah well it is 80% of a full student's timetable, I've just never heard it said like that before. We have always been told 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

Ugh, having 50 minute lessons sound like extra work! The number of lessons it adds on is insane!
Original post by outlaw-torn
Obviously if you haven't heard by the end of the school day then I'd guess you haven't got an interview. But you'll probably get a call in the morning! Fingers crossed for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I feel sick waiting, it's the worst part. It's the only job that's come up this year that I've wanted soooo much. Tomorrow I will constantly be staring at the phone in hope!

It's 10% less than a fully qualified teachers timetable which is at 90%

Yes and no.
You will get quicker at doing stuff (whipping up lessons out of nowhere and on the other hand making up a scheme of work);
You will get on with the kids better (probably not everyone but you'll be more in control);
You will learn how to balance your workload.

I personally felt the NQT year was overall easier but I was on School Direct, so a slightly different experience.

All in all don't be nervous about it - a job, no matter how important, is just a job and once you get a hang of it, you will be alright. :smile:
Oh yeah well it is 80% of a full student's timetable, I've just never heard it said like that before. We have always been told 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

Ugh, having 50 minute lessons sound like extra work! The number of lessons it adds on is insane!

Yeah I feel sick waiting, it's the worst part. It's the only job that's come up this year that I've wanted soooo much. Tomorrow I will constantly be staring at the phone in hope!

Yet more differences between training providers :') we've always been told it's 80%!
Original post by Samus2
Yet more differences between training providers :') we've always been told it's 80%!

We were told 81%. 90% of a 90% timetable.

I have no idea why they always included the 1% as though I mattered though.
When are peoples exam boards happening? I just want confirmation that I've actually passed!!
Original post by Samus2
When are peoples exam boards happening? I just want confirmation that I've actually passed!!

I think ours is in like August. I always struggle to know what to put on job applications because technically we don't have it until August (and we only graduate in November!). I always just put I finished in June 2015 anyway.

When's yours?
I think ours is in like August. I always struggle to know what to put on job applications because technically we don't have it until August (and we only graduate in November!). I always just put I finished in June 2015 anyway.

When's yours?

I think ours might be this week? I just want my confirmation. I know I've passed unless I massively screwed up my portfolio :')
Original post by Samus2
I think ours might be this week? I just want my confirmation. I know I've passed unless I massively screwed up my portfolio :')

Yeah, it's only really a big deal if you've got a resit (like me), otherwise it's pretty much a given that everything is done and passed.
Original post by Samus2

I'm on the same boat, our uni exam board was last week but they still haven't confirmed that I passed yet. I've been recommended for QTS, but I don't know when I can print out the certificate from the NCTL as they have not updated their records yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending