The Student Room Group

Can i get into medicine with a BTEC?

hello im currently doing Btec level 3 medical science and i wanted to do is it possible to get into medicine if i got a Distinction is the course? a lot of people have been telling me it is possible but im not entirely sure

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is the relationship forum.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hello im currently doing Btec level 3 medical science and i wanted to do is it possible to get into medicine if i got a Distinction is the course? a lot of people have been telling me it is possible but im not entirely sure

Probably not

Medical schools only consider A-levels and IB
I'm afraid not.

Doesn't hurt to try, though they'd probably want you to get Distinction* and a strong personal statement (with maybe a rich field experience). I think that you will be in a disadvantage against other IB applicants, but if you really love medicine and the uni says that they accept btec applicants, then just try your best :smile:
No, maybe get into biomedical (or other appropriate sciences) do well in it then apply for medicine as a graduate.
Reply 7
southampton allows btecs for medicine.......cookie
Are you eligible for foundation programmes? Durham may consider you as a "conversion student" I.e someone who didn't have the correct A levels but wanted to do medicine. Check that out with them
Original post by AvaAdore
I would imagine only the ****test uni's would take you. Why didn't you do a levels?! I don't respect BTECs tbh.

Do you honestly think there is such a thing as a "****" medical school in this country?
I would imagine only the ****test uni's would take you. Why didn't you do a levels?! I don't respect BTECs tbh.

whats wrong with doing a btec? :frown: and I don't really like the whole exams style thing and I personally didn't think id get through Alevels as I happen to suffer from dyslexia
Original post by Democracy
Do you honestly think there is such a thing as a "****" medical school in this country?

exactly lol this girl doesn't know what shes talking about. Medical is just one course there's isn't a high level for it or a low level
Original post by NomNoms
southampton allows btecs for medicine.......cookie

what other requirements do they look for? this might work as I'm from Portsmouth and its not far
Original post by 96jaimin96
No, maybe get into biomedical (or other appropriate sciences) do well in it then apply for medicine as a graduate.

Is there a Btec in biomedical science?
Is there a Btec in biomedical science?

No do the degree....
Reply 15
with the BTEc you can get into the first year at ;

- Plymouth (after taking GAMSAT)

Or through a Foundation year at:

- University of East Anglia (DDM)
- Keele (DDD)
- University of Nottingham (DDM)
- Bradford (260 points)

you may also want to consider doing a 3 year BSc medical related degree (e.g. Biomedical science) and then do PG medicine, you could do a BSc or MSci in Applied Medical Sciences at University College London (UCL) if you were to achieve grades of DDD (distinctions) on your BTEC in Applied Science

you will also be able to get on to most Biomedical Science degrees and could look to do post graduate Medicine
(edited 8 years ago)

Because some schools (like mine for example) don't do A-levels and only offer another diploma or BTEC. In my case, my school only offers IB or BTEC (so it's like either the toughest qualification or the more easy-going qualification).
Reply 17
whats wrong with doing a btec? :frown: and I don't really like the whole exams style thing and I personally didn't think id get through Alevels as I happen to suffer from dyslexia

if you don't like exams do you think you'll enjoy such an intense course as medicine? not trying to be harsh, just being realistic
If I were you I wouldn't bother tbh... its a real tough course and there's so much competition out there, try doing A-levels? it might just put you in a better position but hey good luck anyway hope it all works out

I’m not sure whether you’ve considered or heard about the Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine BSc (Hons) which we offer at the University of Bradford. We do accept BTEC applicants who achieve DMM alongside having GCSE English, Maths and a science at grade C or above.

The Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine BSc (Hons) course provides students the option of progressing onto the first year of Clinical Sciences BSc (Hons) whilst also allowing up to 20 students the option of progress onto the year 1 of the MBChB at the University of Leeds Medical School.

If you have any further more specific concerns or queries relating to the transfer route to Leeds Medical school please feel free to email our Admissions Team directly at [email protected]. I hope you find this information useful and best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending