The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ahcambridge97

IIRC the beds have a solid side and you lift them up to put stuff in, so bear that in mind. Village definitely is like this, just ensuite I'm not 100% certain!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by kpwxx
IIRC the beds have a solid side and you lift them up to put stuff in, so bear that in mind. Village definitely is like this, just ensuite I'm not 100% certain!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you :smile: xxx
so what would people say about moving in a set of small plastic draws? because in someones picture of their room they had done that, but then some people are saying that it would be a fire hazard and others are saying that only soft furnishings r fire hazards??? ahhh so confusing!!! :s-smilie: xxx
so what would people say about moving in a set of small plastic draws? because in someones picture of their room they had done that, but then some people are saying that it would be a fire hazard and others are saying that only soft furnishings r fire hazards??? ahhh so confusing!!! :s-smilie: xxx

Plastic drawers are no different to a plastic box. As long as you aren't blocking the door with them they're fine. You also have to bring your own soft furbishing as you need a duvet, pillows etc, most people bring cushions. I have a wicker box with a cloth lining.

I personally would just move in, see whether you need extra storage and think you have room for it. If you do you can just go to wilko or Argos and pick some up. Not many people bring extra storage, except perhaps a shoe rack of some kind and maybe a plastic box or two.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Plastic drawers are no different to a plastic box. As long as you aren't blocking the door with them they're fine. You also have to bring your own soft furbishing as you need a duvet, pillows etc, most people bring cushions. I have a wicker box with a cloth lining.

I personally would just move in, see whether you need extra storage and think you have room for it. If you do you can just go to wilko or Argos and pick some up. Not many people bring extra storage, except perhaps a shoe rack of some kind and maybe a plastic box or two.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much Hun :smile:
One last question if u don't mind?
Are we aloud bed risers?
Thanks again :smile: xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, what accommodation is normally left in clearing/adjustment for UEA Uni?
Original post by angela_y
Hey, what accommodation is normally left in clearing/adjustment for UEA Uni?

normally students coming through adjustment or clearing would have to find a private house share
Thank you so much Hun :smile:
One last question if u don't mind?
Are we aloud bed risers?
Thanks again :smile: xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, not so sure about that one! I would imagine the answer is yes, since some people may need them for medical reasons. It might be that only certain types are allowed.

I'd give them a call on this one, since they can then confirm the size of the bed as well if they are allowed.

xxx
Hey guys,
I'm an Irish student starting at UEA studying an Msc in Physiotherapy.
Just wondering where is best to look for accommodation ?
Anyone in a similar situation have any experiences on this they could share ?

Much appreciated !
Reply 5029
Sorry for the rudeness but the Village is an absolute **** heap unless you're in the Courtyard A or B, in which case it's probably ok. But I wouldn't know, because I was one of the unfortunate 50% to be in a tiny building with a bunch of boring saps. Pick the ziggurats. You don't need a private bathroom, you're deluded if you think you do. You'll have much more fun. All my friends live in them. They're great. Do it. En-suite Campus defo second choice though, beyond that you're ****ed so it doesn't matter.
Original post by xsem0
Sorry for the rudeness but the Village is an absolute **** heap unless you're in the Courtyard A or B, in which case it's probably ok. But I wouldn't know, because I was one of the unfortunate 50% to be in a tiny building with a bunch of boring saps. Pick the ziggurats. You don't need a private bathroom, you're deluded if you think you do. You'll have much more fun. All my friends live in them. They're great. Do it. En-suite Campus defo second choice though, beyond that you're ****ed so it doesn't matter.

The people change year on year though. When I was a fresher one of my friends made her closest friends in Pine- still friends to this day they are a very lively bunch who always loved going out. And others I know made many friends in the village in many of the blocks.
Original post by eoin195
Hey guys,
I'm an Irish student starting at UEA studying an Msc in Physiotherapy.
Just wondering where is best to look for accommodation ?
Anyone in a similar situation have any experiences on this they could share ?

Much appreciated !

If your looking for private accomodation homerun is a good bet http://www.homerunstudentpad.co.uk/Pages/Homelet- people are always advertising spare rooms or looking for housemates on there, although of course February is a much quieter time. You need the password but you should be able to ask for it.
Original post by xsem0

Experiences of accommodation are majorly influenced by the students you share it with. I'd trade decent accommodation for great roommates any day but you've got to make the most of it wherever you end up and whoever you end up with. From my experience of independently visiting friends there to see the university accommodation I have to say I think this guy is on the money. Ziggurats are the best. Sharing toilets is absolutely fine, it's not a public toilet shared by many like the Royal Holloway founders building, it's a proper bathroom shared between 6 I believe. I originally wanted my own toilet but after going there I can say I really wouldn't mind sharing a bathroom especially since you get a sink in your room plus it costs about 1K less (Not that I was ever concerned about the cost). Nelson Court is also great and Constable terrace is good if you don't mind being a bit out of the way, both have large rooms and kitchens on the ground floor. I would have been gutted if I hadn't ended up in one of these. In my experience the village looked terrible, you'd think paying very similar amounts to campus ensuite would perhaps qualify for larger rooms but the guy I visited had a tiny room with graffiti all over the table and walls and an absolutely tiny budget looking toilet compared to campus ensuite plus a very dingy albeit larger kitchen. I thought the village seemed like a run down council estate just cut off from the main campus but despite this my friends there had enjoyed it (Probably because they all got along so well, however they did still recommend the Ziggurats). The other campus en suite buildings felt slightly isolated from campus and their layout felt considerably more cramped than that of the others. Mary Chapman court in the city centre seems like a nightmare to me, I haven't actually visited, but pictures of it looked pretty dull and being so far away from the campus spirit would be a real disappointment in first year in my opinion. I would recommend putting Ziggurats as your first choice and campus ensuite as your second, then probably shared zigs or twin room (As you're guaranteed Nelson or Constable then). You cannot choose which campus ensuite location you get so you may end up paying the same for a less desirable place, this is partly why Ziggurats should be first.

Best of luck choosing, Hat
(edited 8 years ago)
If you're still stuck choosing, this website has a league ranking of all the UEA halls as reviewed by students, could be really helpful to those looking to choose a hall - hope this helps!
Original post by PTHumphreys
If you're still stuck choosing, this website has a league ranking of all the UEA halls as reviewed by students, could be really helpful to those looking to choose a hall - hope this helps!

Good shout, I would recommend looking at this. I would also visit UEA if you can.
Original post by AmitP1992
I've just graduated this year, I personally wouldn't recommend the village, got a mixed response from friends who have been there (then again, village lovers are passionate when it comes to their accommodation). I'd personally recommend the en-suite premiums if you want your own bathroom etc, however if you are not that fussy the rooms in the Ziggurat are also quite good.

Graduate
Former Open day guide

:eek: How dare you speak ill of the village and our pods!

Original post by Devious Hat
Experiences of accommodation are majorly influenced by the students you share it with. I'd trade decent accommodation for great roommates any day but you've got to make the most of it wherever you end up and whoever you end up with. From my experience of independently visiting friends there to see the university accommodation I have to say I think this guy is on the money. Ziggurats are the best. Sharing toilets is absolutely fine, it's not a public toilet shared by many like the Royal Holloway founders building, it's a proper bathroom shared between 6 I believe. I originally wanted my own toilet but after going there I can say I really wouldn't mind sharing a bathroom especially since you get a sink in your room plus it costs about 1K less (Not that I was ever concerned about the cost). Nelson Court is also great and Constable terrace is good if you don't mind being a bit out of the way, both have large rooms and kitchens on the ground floor. I would have been gutted if I hadn't ended up in one of these. In my experience the village looked terrible, you'd think paying very similar amounts to campus ensuite would perhaps qualify for larger rooms but the guy I visited had a tiny room with graffiti all over the table and walls and an absolutely tiny budget looking toilet compared to campus ensuite plus a very dingy albeit larger kitchen. I thought the village seemed like a run down council estate just cut off from the main campus but despite this my friends there had enjoyed it (Probably because they all got along so well, however they did still recommend the Ziggurats). The other campus en suite buildings felt slightly isolated from campus and their layout felt considerably more cramped than that of the others. Mary Chapman court in the city centre seems like a nightmare to me, I haven't actually visited, but pictures of it looked pretty dull and being so far away from the campus spirit would be a real disappointment in first year in my opinion. I would recommend putting Ziggurats as your first choice and campus ensuite as your second, then probably shared zigs or twin room (As you're guaranteed Nelson or Constable then). You cannot choose which campus ensuite location you get so you may end up paying the same for a less desirable place, this is partly why Ziggurats should be first.

Best of luck choosing, Hat

Ziggurat's have around 12-14 per flat, but there is one loo and 2 bathrooms (shower/loo) ircc?
The conditions of the rooms/halls vary over time as they're done up over the summers depending on the budget. When I was a fresher Suffolk Terrace was plague with problems, the majority of radiators had burst during the dead of the winter and had dodgy plumbing in general. They were then done up the following summer and looked a lot better (the outsides were even washed making Norfolk look grim!). The only place i think that have nicer kitchens than the village is Crome Court, but that's PGR only, everywhere else is very industrialised and metallic. But that's because I loved having proper worktops and cupboards/drawers.

I think a reason it's easier to get on with people in the village is that the main flat doors and the corridor entrances are locked manually so it's a lot easier to roam your block compared to newer residences where you can't get anywhere without a key. Which is a real bonus during freshers week, getting to know everyone. Plus on our course there were lots of us walking from the village, so you'd get to know each other.

But I completely agree with the first part especially sharing a toilet, if anything it's the kitchens that become the most disgusting communal area. If I could go back I wouldn't have bothered with an ensuite (although a lovely luxury) and saved the extra money.

But OP if you're after a big bedroom definitely campus en-suite or ziggurats.
Original post by makingamemory
:eek: How dare you speak ill of the village and our pods!

Ziggurat's have around 12-14 per flat, but there is one loo and 2 bathrooms (shower/loo) ircc?
The conditions of the rooms/halls vary over time as they're done up over the summers depending on the budget. When I was a fresher Suffolk Terrace was plague with problems, the majority of radiators had burst during the dead of the winter and had dodgy plumbing in general. They were then done up the following summer and looked a lot better (the outsides were even washed making Norfolk look grim!). The only place i think that have nicer kitchens than the village is Crome Court, but that's PGR only, everywhere else is very industrialised and metallic. But that's because I loved having proper worktops and cupboards/drawers.

I think a reason it's easier to get on with people in the village is that the main flat doors and the corridor entrances are locked manually so it's a lot easier to roam your block compared to newer residences where you can't get anywhere without a key. Which is a real bonus during freshers week, getting to know everyone. Plus on our course there were lots of us walking from the village, so you'd get to know each other.

But I completely agree with the first part especially sharing a toilet, if anything it's the kitchens that become the most disgusting communal area. If I could go back I wouldn't have bothered with an ensuite (although a lovely luxury) and saved the extra money.

But OP if you're after a big bedroom definitely campus en-suite or ziggurats.

To be fair to the village I probably got a bit carried away, I would still not recommend the village and I do think it's over priced, but the kitchen is probably a lot more practical than most others and despite being away from campus you are still very close relatively. plus it seems quite a few people form a community feeling there which providing you all get along would be great, I know my friends did, so I can see why some people may wish to there. Don't think it's for me though
Thanks for your help, I was looking into campus accommodation ?

Would this be suitable for me in my situation or would you recommend private ?
Original post by eoin195
Thanks for your help, I was looking into campus accommodation ?

Would this be suitable for me in my situation or would you recommend private ?

Oh ok, be warned you aren't guarenteed a room- UEA only guarentees to international (non EU) students starting in September. As far as suitability, if you have the funds (its cheaper to rent a house) then by all means consider it, but be open to renting a house
If you need bed risers for medical reasons, UEA may be able to provide them for you. From what I've seen, they are really good at helping people with additional needs. If you go on the accommodation section of their website, the contact details are there.

My question is how far do you have to live from uni to apply for a room in halls?
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending