The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm feeling pretty low/annoyed (for a change!!) because I had an operation yesterday that I purposely arranged for the summer hols so it would be out of the way. It is a trial operation and they originally told me it would be in for 4-6 weeks, now they've said 8-10 weeks which is going to clash with me starting the new job!

I can work with it in (albeit not pleasantly) but when it gets taken out I need another operation for that which will be 2-3 days off work. I didn't want to start a new job and have to take time off as soon as I start so I'm just worried what that will look like now :frown:
Original post by Airfairy
I'm feeling pretty low/annoyed (for a change!!) because I had an operation yesterday that I purposely arranged for the summer hols so it would be out of the way. It is a trial operation and they originally told me it would be in for 4-6 weeks, now they've said 8-10 weeks which is going to clash with me starting the new job!

I can work with it in (albeit not pleasantly) but when it gets taken out I need another operation for that which will be 2-3 days off work. I didn't want to start a new job and have to take time off as soon as I start so I'm just worried what that will look like now :frown:

There's not much you can do about it, really since we are all at the mercy of the NHS in these matters. I'd be inclined to tell the school about it right now, so that they can plan ahead and have no reason to think you have been withholding anything.

I am intrigued about what 'it' is that you can work with 'in' that will be taken 'out' but because I am sensitive adult, I am not going to ask....
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There's not much you can do about it, really since we are all at the mercy of the NHS in these matters. I'd be inclined to tell the school about it right now, so that they can plan ahead and have no reason to think you have been withholding anything.

I am intrigued about what 'it' is that you can work with 'in' that will be taken 'out' but because I am sensitive adult, I am not going to ask....

Yeah, it should not be longer than a few days I'd need off. I'm going to give the hospital a ring first to see if I can have it sorted the week before term or not.

Haha, I am not bothered about saying. I have an overactive bladder which means I am constantly tired as I am up 10+ times a night so never sleep. It's also been in an issue in some lessons where I've had to leave 4 times in an hour. Luckily my old placement school were fine about it.

This is a trial for a device that sends electrical pulses to your bladder to stop telling it you need the loo. They do a trial before putting it in permanently, so I have wires coming out of my back and have to wear a box on my hip for however long they tell me I do :/
I'm continuing to have my OMG I NEED TO PLAN MORE THINGS meltdown but I don't really have enough information to go on. I hate not knowing stuff. It sends my OCD into super duper overdrive.

And I need to disclose to OCD and anxiety of occupational health it that's making me even more anxious and twitchy.

Adulting and the insane responsibility for a subject at GCSE and A level seemed super exciting but now I'm freaking out a bit.

Yeah, it should not be longer than a few days I'd need off. I'm going to give the hospital a ring first to see if I can have it sorted the week before term or not.

Haha, I am not bothered about saying. I have an overactive bladder which means I am constantly tired as I am up 10+ times a night so never sleep. It's also been in an issue in some lessons where I've had to leave 4 times in an hour. Luckily my old placement school were fine about it.

This is a trial for a device that sends electrical pulses to your bladder to stop telling it you need the loo. They do a trial before putting it in permanently, so I have wires coming out of my back and have to wear a box on my hip for however long they tell me I do :/

By the sound of it, it's going to be something that could potentially improve your experience in the classroom and that's definitely something the school will want to support you with. I'd let them know that this is happening, that you are at the mercy of the NHS but that it will make a massive difference to your comfort in class.
Original post by ParadoxSocks

And I need to disclose to OCD and anxiety of occupational health it that's making me even more anxious and twitchy.

I have just filled in my occupational health and wow it always seems like I have a lot of problems. I had to declare my anxiety too, but I guess it's something that's gotta be done :dontknow: .
Original post by ParadoxSocks

By the sound of it, it's going to be something that could potentially improve your experience in the classroom and that's definitely something the school will want to support you with. I'd let them know that this is happening, that you are at the mercy of the NHS but that it will make a massive difference to your comfort in class.

Yeah, this is true. I have just rang the hospital and they said they will be able to give me a final date in about three weeks so I may just hang on until then and ring the college as soon as I get the final date, as it may not even effect term time with a bit of luck.
I visited my employing school yesterday evening for a new staff meal and school concert, which was a really nice evening. I also got my timetable - Monday and Friday mornings I have periods 1 and 2 off, which is really nice. And it seems like most of my frees are either doubles or before or after lunch, which is nice. I'm teaching science KS4/5 and maths KS3, which gives me a nice range of ages and topics to cover. Definitely really happy to have both science and maths on my timetable as well!

I also found out I'm a year 12 form tutor officially, which should be interesting seeing as I'm not really that much older then them. I've had limited contact with sixth form so far, so I think one of the big challenges next year will be presented by my IB higher level Physics Class, the Extended Essays i supervise and my form. I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time it all seems to real (and close to happening) now.

Original post by alabelle
I got the job guys! So happy.

That's brilliant news! Now after all the hard work you can relax.
Original post by alabelle
Thank you guys! It's my birthday on Friday so this is excellent timing. I can't wait to start in September!

To add to everyone, congratulations! I'm so happy you got the job, and best of luck with it (It sounds like it's just what you want so yay!!).

I agree with Carnationlilyrose, may as well tell them asap that it might happen. Then if it does, they will be prepared, and it it happens before term it will be a pleasant surprise for them :smile:.

You never know when slots come up due to cancellations etc. It's very hard to know with the NHS! Trust me, the school will not mind. Teachers are very good at feeling guilty for having time off, so SLT and other staff are usually pretty good at convincing you it's OK.

xxx

Crumbs! That sounds like a big deal! Hope it goes well. I'd tell the school about it just in case there's any chance of being put in a classroom nearer the loo than otherwise.

You already did, darling! :smile:

P.S. I am intrigued too.
Original post by Juichiro
You already did, darling! :smile:

P.S. I am intrigued too.

But subtly, I thought....
Sorry to barge in, I've been catching up over the past few days and this looks like a lovely, supportive environment. I am due to begin an Early Primary PGCE at the University of Birmingham in September, and after battling severe anxiety during my final undergraduate year, I'm really concerned about coping with such an intense year. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (typical Virgo!) and put a huge amount of pressure on myself, alongside doubting everything I do, not an ideal mix at all. As much as I want to teach, I have had serious doubts about whether I will manage during PGCE, so to see so many people here have had similar issues and reached the end is reassuring. I just wondered if anyone has any advice or recommendations on how to deal with/manage anxiety with the intensity and pressure of balancing everything? Or if anyone has experienced this course at Birmingham and can advise how supportive the department is? My undergraduate degree was at Wolverhampton and I struggled on my own during the first two years only to have a breakdown during dissertation. While I received support from tutors and counselling, I can't help but think that having that support before things got so bad may have prevented the breakdown. Apologies for the ramble, I do tend to waffle!
Original post by rach.elizabeth
Sorry to barge in, I've been catching up over the past few days and this looks like a lovely, supportive environment. I am due to begin an Early Primary PGCE at the University of Birmingham in September, and after battling severe anxiety during my final undergraduate year, I'm really concerned about coping with such an intense year. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (typical Virgo!) and put a huge amount of pressure on myself, alongside doubting everything I do, not an ideal mix at all. As much as I want to teach, I have had serious doubts about whether I will manage during PGCE, so to see so many people here have had similar issues and reached the end is reassuring. I just wondered if anyone has any advice or recommendations on how to deal with/manage anxiety with the intensity and pressure of balancing everything? Or if anyone has experienced this course at Birmingham and can advise how supportive the department is? My undergraduate degree was at Wolverhampton and I struggled on my own during the first two years only to have a breakdown during dissertation. While I received support from tutors and counselling, I can't help but think that having that support before things got so bad may have prevented the breakdown. Apologies for the ramble, I do tend to waffle!

My best advice would be let them know about any issues like this asap. Remember these are people that work in education, mostly ex teachers or even current on a break teachers so they on the whole should be understanding and supportive. All the tutors on my course certainly were.

Talk to others on your course to help you see that everyone is having similar stresses, it really helps!

Brace yourself for the says when they explain lots (first few days and placement prep days). These are fun and exciting, especially the first few days of the course (which are way less nerve wracking than you expect in the days before you start), but you also get a lot of information which can be overwhelming I.e. ONLY 14 DAYS TILL I GO ON PLACEMENT!!!!! or I HAVE TO DO 20 HOURS A WEEK?!?!?! or HOW MANY ESSAYS?!?!. But actually, when you do it, they do it small steps at a time and ease you in to it. They just give you all the information so you know what's coming. So try to keep calm in those and just focus on the things you need to do now, the others will come as you go along.

Also good luck, and have fun. Early years is amazing :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You only have one (funded) chance, so my advice would be to defer/reject the PGCE and get your anxiety sorted before the PGCE. Alternatively, go for the PGCE but have a detailed plan of what to do if you get anxious in the middle of the PGCE (as in having your counsellor/psychologist updated, a list of actions you can do to reduce your anxiety if it happens in the middle of the lesson, etc). Also, I would talk with your counsellor to get his/her opinion on this. In my opinion, undergrad is a breeze compared to the PGCE in terms of commitments and workload. You want to maximise your chances of completing it successfully!

I am sure, Lily Rose can give you some advice too. :smile: She probably is, along with Mr. M, the most experienced here.
I am sure, Lily Rose can give you some advice too. :smile: She probably is, along with Mr. M, the most experienced here.

Well, certainly the oldest.....:frown:

Hello. Thanks for coming to TSR to ask this. I'm going to echo what Juichiro says here. At the risk of making myself unpopular, my honest, candid opinion, based on 32 years of teaching and 8 years of being a subject mentor is: not yet. I think you are setting yourself up for a terrifying year if you start out on it without sorting out your anxiety issues before you embark on it. Teaching is a really tough job even when you are qualified, and the training is a baptism of fire. I have no reason to doubt that you will be able to make a go of it and be a fine teacher when the moment is right, but my answer is still: not yet.
Well, certainly the oldest.....:frown:

And certainly, the most lovely. :smile:
And certainly, the most lovely. :smile:
Aww, shucks! :colondollar:

It depends how your anxiety presents itself. I have anxiety and OCD (and other stuff too that is very well managed now) and I made it through but it was hard work. You'll have the standard worries intensified and there are already going to be a lot of worries.

I struggled to get going in the classroom because my anxiety was holding me back. It took a lot longer for my confidence to kick in and I struggled so much through placement one to make friends with my department and other teachers. I also spent so much time worrying about not being good enough or not producing good enough resources, or being assessed or having observations that I just got really stuck. I felt like a fraud pretending to be a teacher and my anxiety and OCD went insane.

If your anxiety is something gentle that you control well and have strategies for then go for it. If not, take that time out to figure everything out. I had those strategies and I still almost gave up half way through.

It's hard without anxiety, but with it you're really going to be pushing yourself out of that comfort zone/safe mindspace.

This probably isn't what you want to hear but you only get one chance at your pgce year and you don't want to blow it if there's any doubt at all that you aren't ready yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm so glad we come across as a nice caring environment :tongue:

I have anxiety and needed quite a lot of support and counselling during my undergraduate degree. I really felt sick and ill about starting my PGCE because of how intense it is supposed to be and I wasn't sure I was ready. I am also a perfectionist (and a Virgo but I don't follow all that stuff!) so knew I may be disheartened on the PGCE. So allow me to share my experiences...

The anxiety has not been easy to manage over the course of the year. It seemed like every single day presented a new challenge that I had to conquer in terms of my anxiety, and every single time I got an inch close to running away and literally walking out of school and quitting. Yet I never did. And each time that I stuck there and did whatever it was, I became stronger. Sorry this may end up being a cheesy paragraph, but I undoubtedly believe that the PGCE has helped my anxiety and my confidence issues. It is still there, but I feel like I have a strength in my head now that can help me against it. It is hard to explain.

But, I guess what I'm trying to say is that sure, it is easy to say wait until you get your anxiety sorted out, but I don't think anxiety really gets sorted out? If you know what I mean. Certainly I don't think mine will ever go away with any amount of meds or counselling. I think it is better to just face things head on and try them. I was always prepared to drop out if it became too much - it was always an option. I am glad that I did it. I did have a lot of counselling during my first placement and it without a doubt got me through it. I don't believe I'd have made it through without them. They were amazing. I've not had much success from counselling in the past but I hated my first placement school and saw my uni counsellor and he was just so supportive and helpful. So don't be afraid to ask for help in that regard.

In terms of the PGCE intensity, I did find it hard but I didn't find it as hard as people made out. I'd seen quite a few people go through the PGCE before me and they all looked so fried and upset, coming home crying all the time, it's enough to make you run away! The last couple of months are the hardest, but I feel I made them harder on myself as I became lazy so wasn't doing anything in advance anymore!

Advice on how to manage anxiety/pressure during the PGCE:
- Try very hard to stay up to date. Don't leave things until last minute. Getting your stuff planned a week in advance helps loads, and I was good with this until Easter when I did nothing all holiday :P

- DO NOT compare yourself to others!!! I can't stress this enough. There will be people who make out as if they are God's gift to teaching when remember...you haven't seen them teach! Plus everyone has such different experiences between schools. You just can't compare. It's pointless.

- However...do share tips/resources! Don't be afraid to ask your fellow course mates for advice. We shared a lot and I gained things from that. It's not a sign of weakness.

- The same goes for asking for help from uni/school. You should, in theory, have a supportive mentor and uni tutor. They should support you. I was generally unimpressed with the support from university so I relied on my school who were excellent. Don't feel needy.

- Don't panic about observations. I made myself unnecessarily ill over these. They are watching the pupils more than YOU! And even if they go terribly (I had one which was a disaster), most of the time it does not matter. It is not the end of the world. Observers want to give you helpful feedback and for the most part they are understanding of issues.

- Have fun!! Seriously, on my first placement I was so serious about everything - my planning and my targets, etc, that I feel I forgot that I am teaching 11-16 year olds (and even younger for you) and that these lessons need to be fun, for them and for me. By the end of my second placement my lessons were enjoyable for myself and the pupils. I think it is something that comes naturally with time. It is about learning that you don't always have to stick to your lesson plan to a T. It is learning to adapt from it and be more casual.

I don't really know if anything there works. I'm pretty bored so went on a bit of a rant but maybe you've fished something out. My advice would be not to wait a year. I'd face this PGCE head on. Trust me, if I can do it, you can!! I am a mess! Mental health does not determine how you will deal with the PGCE. I've seen people who seem strong as nails crack from the pressure and drop out. Go for it. Just remember to seek support and ask for help when needed.

Good luck whatever you do.

EDIT: Holy crap didn't realise how long this was. Apologies :colondollar: . I should sleep...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending