The Student Room Group

A-levels

I am thinking about studying Criminology at university and was wondering if taking A-level Psychology and Sociology would be a good choice or if I should only do one and maybe pick History or something like that. Any ideas?
Reply 1
From what I've heard and read any combination of those A-levels is a good idea, I know a criminologist at University who did Psychology, Sociology and PE as his A-levels :smile:

Just doing a quick google search a UCAS page for BCU came up and they suggested preference will be given to students with one of the following subjects at A2, English, Government and Politics, History, Humanities, Law, Philosophy, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology.

So you'd be fine with what youre thinking
Original post by Unknown73
I am thinking about studying Criminology at university and was wondering if taking A-level Psychology and Sociology would be a good choice or if I should only do one and maybe pick History or something like that. Any ideas?

I do both Psychology and Sociology and they fit together so well :biggrin: I don't know if you're the same exam board as I am but we are doing Forensic Psychology this year along with Crime and Deviance in Sociology, which seems perfect if you're thinking of doing Criminology at uni! The content is really interesting too, because you get to learn both why people behave as they do and how the different units in society interact with each other. I do not regret picking either subject and am looking forward to going back next year :smile:

Good Luck! :biggrin:
Reply 3
psychologhy and english or history would help
Reply 4
Original post by Dingo749
From what I've heard and read any combination of those A-levels is a good idea, I know a criminologist at University who did Psychology, Sociology and PE as his A-levels :smile:

Just doing a quick google search a UCAS page for BCU came up and they suggested preference will be given to students with one of the following subjects at A2, English, Government and Politics, History, Humanities, Law, Philosophy, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology.

So you'd be fine with what youre thinking

Thank you for your help.
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
I do both Psychology and Sociology and they fit together so well :biggrin: I don't know if you're the same exam board as I am but we are doing Forensic Psychology this year along with Crime and Deviance in Sociology, which seems perfect if you're thinking of doing Criminology at uni! The content is really interesting too, because you get to learn both why people behave as they do and how the different units in society interact with each other. I do not regret picking either subject and am looking forward to going back next year :smile:

Good Luck! :biggrin:

Thank you for your reply, I am doing the Edexcel Psychology and AQA Sociology.

What put me off that course was you should have a science at A-level or GCSE for most criminology and psychology courses, it's probably a good idea you do biology or one of those types of subjects if it's possible :smile: ( maths is included as a science ) but it's important to do classes you enjoy too :smile:
Thank you for your reply, I am doing the Edexcel Psychology and AQA Sociology.

I do AQA Sociology and OCR Psychology :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by punkroses
What put me off that course was you should have a science at A-level or GCSE for most criminology and psychology courses, it's probably a good idea you do biology or one of those types of subjects if it's possible :smile: ( maths is included as a science ) but it's important to do classes you enjoy too :smile:

I am thinking about doing Biology and Maths A-levels, as well.
Original post by punkroses

Actually I've looked in websites and emailed unis and most accept Psychology as a 'relevant science A2' :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
Actually I've looked in websites and emailed unis and most accept Psychology as a 'relevant science A2' :smile:

I am thinking about doing Biology and Maths A-levels, as well.

yeah, when I was looking about it, I saw quite a few of them class it as a science , suppose it depends where you're applying too :smile:
Reply 11
Portsmouth, hopefully. Their course includes forensic studies as well.

Quick Reply

Latest