The Student Room Group

When is it appropriate to say "I love you"?

I really want to say it but I'm not sure if it's too early. Me and this girl have been together a month now although a few weeks ago I told her I loved her because at that moment it just felt like I'd known her forever and I just felt so comfortable being with her and meeting her family. She did say "I love you too" but she seemed to go quiet with me afterwards and I messaged her saying I meant it, and she asked me if I didn't think it was too early..

I look back now and realise that it probably was a little too early and wish I hadn't have done. But I just want to know when the right time to say it would be. I'm going away for a few days with some friends next week, I was thinking about saying it to her before I board my flight but still not sure if things would be too early..

What's your opinion? When do you think the right time ever in any relationship, is the right time to say it?

Scroll to see replies

The right time to say it is when you truly mean it.
I think it's appropriate to say it after the first date, nothing like starting off on a high note
Original post by Anonymous
I really want to say it but I'm not sure if it's too early. Me and this girl have been together a month now although a few weeks ago I told her I loved her because at that moment it just felt like I'd known her forever and I just felt so comfortable being with her and meeting her family. She did say "I love you too" but she seemed to go quiet with me afterwards and I messaged her saying I meant it, and she asked me if I didn't think it was too early..

I look back now and realise that it probably was a little too early and wish I hadn't have done. But I just want to know when the right time to say it would be. I'm going away for a few days with some friends next week, I was thinking about saying it to her before I board my flight but still not sure if things would be too early..

What's your opinion? When do you think the right time ever in any relationship, is the right time to say it?

The right time to tell someone you love them is when you mean it, and you should know when you mean it. Girls often fall in love before boys but it isn't always the case, give her time to get her head straight and don't push her into telling you she loves you, because you may push her away. Give her time and just wait until she decides she does.
I don't usually say it unless I feel the other person feels the same way. I shouldn't say it tbh. Most people just use you or say things without meaning it or play you around etc until you have nothing left to offer them
Original post by queen-bee
I don't usually say it unless I feel the other person feels the same way. I shouldn't say it tbh. Most people just use you or say things without meaning it or play you around etc until you have nothing left to offer them

That's an all too familiar feeling :colonhash:
Original post by Emily.97
That's an all too familiar feeling :colonhash:

I ****ing hate it because now I don't trust any guy that says he loves me. I'm so wary of men now and it ****ing hurts so much
It might've been a bit too early, but no matter. Just don't bring it up again until she does, which includes just before your flight. Something like I'll miss you is a bit more appropriate.

I myself waited until the girl said it just to not come across as clingy.
I ****ing hate it because now I don't trust any guy that says he loves me. I'm so wary of men now and it ****ing hurts so much

I can see where you're coming from. Taking a step back and understanding what you want from life is important, as opposed to trying to "find someone". But you must remember that there are decent people out there. You can't give up hope.
Hmm, within the first 10 minutes of meeting her. You don't have to mean it. And say 'I think...'
I can see where you're coming from. Taking a step back and understanding what you want from life is important, as opposed to trying to "find someone". But you must remember that there are decent people out there. You can't give up hope.

There's no such thing as a decent man,as such. I just don't know anymore.
There's no such thing as a decent man,as such. I just don't know anymore.

And there's your irrational generalisation.
And there's your irrational generalisation.

I don't see it as a generalisation. I don't necessarily have any true make friends
I don't see it as a generalisation. I don't necessarily have any true make friends

Does that mean that a decent man doesn't exist?
Does that mean that a decent man doesn't exist?

For me,yes
The men in my life
Nah. I don't want to get attached to men right now
It's my default first message on Tinder.
The right time to say it is when you truly mean it.

This.
When you know that the other person feels the same way. Then you avoid the potential situation of placing them in a situation where they don't feel comfortable responding when you say it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending