The Student Room Group

‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

Laurent Sourisseau, editor of the snarky French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, said in a recent interview that the publication will no longer publish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

Deutsche Welle reported on Saturday that Sourisseau told the German magazine Stern that Charlie Hebdo had accomplished its mission: “We’ve done our job. We have defended the right to caricature.

”The decision comes six-odd months after the militant Kouachi brothers stormed the magazine’s Paris offices in a deadly siege that left 12 people dead at the office. The victims included Charlie Hebdo’s editor at the time, Stephane “Charb” Charbonnier, and veteran cartoonists Jean “Cabu” Cabut, Bernard “Tignous” Verlhac and Georges Wolinski.

Sourisseau, known colloquially as “Riss,” survived the January 7 attack by playing dead, according to The Telegraph .

Some consider it blasphemous to depict the Prophet Muhammad in a visual medium. Following the attack, Al-Qaeda’s Yemeni branch took responsibility for the Kouachi brothers’ actions, which they believed to be retribution for satirical renditions of the prophet in the magazine.

Sourisseau was careful to mention in the interview that the magazine had not become “possessed by Islam,” and that the editors still believed that they had “the right to criticize all religions.”
“We have drawn Muhammad to defend the principle that one can draw whatever they want,” he said. “It is a bit strange though: we are expected to exercise a freedom of expression that no one dares to.

”The magazine’s first cover following the attack, which sold a staggering eight million copies, featured a cartoon of a teary-eyed Muhammad. The corresponding caption read: “Tout est pardonné” (All is forgiven).

http://www.newsweek.com/charlie-hebdo-will-cease-publishing-cartoons-prophet-muhammad-355272

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/charlie-hebdo-editor-no-more-prophet-mohammed-cartoons-1511576

The terrorist won. Plus, you can choose not draw cartoons of Muhammad without announcing it. Just stop drawing. It means you still have the right to draw whatever you want but you just decided not to draw it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GnomeMage

The terrorist won. Plus, you can choose not draw cartoons of Muhammad without announcing it. Just stop drawing. It means you still have the right to draw whatever you want but you just decided not to draw it.

No they have not.

We will continue to draw cartoons and there will still be a draw old mo day

This changes nothing
No, it's just that there are other topics than Muhammad.
Reply 3
They're turning in their graves.
Reply 4
Further evidence that slowly, but surely, Islam is taking over the west. Do something now France, before it's too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BoomCha!
Further evidence that slowly, but surely, Islam is taking over the west. Do something now France, before it's too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?

I thought France was overrun by a mixture of races, including Muslims.
Reply 6
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Really?

I thought France was overrun by a mixture of races, including Muslims.

Most western nations will be run by Muslims soon. It's sickening to see the French giving in to their ridiculous demands. Muslims should accept French culture, not the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BoomCha!
Most western nations will be run by Muslims soon. It's sickening to see the French giving in to their ridiculous demands. Muslims should accept French culture, not the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The French are hardly giving into Islamic 'demands'. After all, France banned wearing the burka in public not so long ago.

Anyway, Charlie Hebdo may well publish Muhammad cartoons again in the future. It's just under the current editor that there are no plans to do so.
Seems a bit too soon to suddenly announce they are stopping. It gives off the wrong message- like the terrorists have won after all. Not a good move.
Original post by TheWaffle
Seems a bit too soon to suddenly announce they are stopping. It gives off the wrong message- like the terrorists have won after all. Not a good move.

Nono it tells you they have made enough money from the hypocritical French, after their acute suffering of a martyr complex.
Original post by getfunky!
Nono it tells you they have made enough money from the hypocritical French, after their acute suffering of a martyr complex.

Well if they had just stopped without announcing it then fair enough. But to actually announce they are stopping- that is like announcing to the terrorists and their supporters that their actions have made a big impact and they have won. :frown:
Short-sighted. A victory for violence and religious fanaticism.
Original post by TheWaffle

Exactly. Shame on them to giving into their demands. Don't like it, go back to Muslims countries where you won't be offended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mad Vlad
Short-sighted. A victory for violence and religious fanaticism.

I don't think it is. I can't really subscribe to the view that deliberately inflaming tensions with Muslims by provocative acts, known to be inflammatory, is somehow striking a blow against fanaticism. Surely it is encouraging it?

There's always been a subtext to the Hebdo story, one of arrogant French upper middle class intellectuals (with all the snobbery and introversion that word intellectual implies in high French society) parading their colonialist attitudes. Muslims in France did not drop from the sky. They are mainly from North Africa, mainly from former French colonies and often from societies deeply damaged by French colonialism, imperialism and racism. To this day, France has not properly addressed its colonial past as we British have made efforts to do. Against that background, what looks to those Paris bourgeois like a battle for liberté comes across strongly as being superior to the lower races.

I'm afraid we're much more in the territory of French arrogance here than we are in the defence of freedom of expression. It was convenient for Al Queda to take advantage, but the ground was set up for them to do so.
Reply 14
Looks like they have won another battle. What a shame.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
France has not properly addressed its colonial past as we British have made efforts to do.

Not much of an effort from either, might I add.
There is still Jesus and Mo

Original post by TheBBQ
Looks like they have won another battle. What a shame.

Not much of an effort from either, might I add.

I don't think either of those points is true. For one thing, most Muslims living here do not advocate murdering non-Muslims in acts of public violence for perceived insults to the Prophet. When you say "the Muslims (ignoring your insulting replacement word) have won another battle", you mean to imply that British and French Muslims generally supported that violence? Evidence please.

And here's a recent poll to look at before you claim I simply don't understand Muslim opinion.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31293196

Your second point might be somewhat correct, except that I think British media, intellectual figures, historians and artists have tried repeatedly over many years to examine British colonial history and discuss it, as have many of the immigrants into this country from the former colonies. That dialogue is almost wholly absent in French official media and culture. It is as if colonial France never happened, or when it did, it was perfect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good, they finally saw sense.
Original post by digistar_100
Good, they finally saw sense.

won't stop the cartoons though
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't think either of those points is true. For one thing, most Muslims living here do not advocate murdering non-Muslims in acts of public violence for perceived insults to the Prophet. When you say "the Muslims (ignoring your insulting replacement word) have won another battle", you mean to imply that British and French Muslims generally supported that violence? Evidence please.

And here's a recent poll to look at before you claim I simply don't understand Muslim opinion.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31293196

Your second point might be somewhat correct, except that I think British media, intellectual figures, historians and artists have tried repeatedly over many years to examine British colonial history and discuss it, as have many of the immigrants into this country from the former colonies. That dialogue is almost wholly absent in French official media and culture. It is as if colonial France never happened, or when it did, it was perfect.

That poll is extremely worrying. 27% of those polled had sympathy for the motives behind the attack. Gee, I wonder who that 27% were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending