The Student Room Group

Culture Week: The best (and worst) of American TV

For better or worse, America throws out a crazy number of TV shows each year, and has done for ages. Even the best binge watchers and Netflixers couldn't hope to get through all of them, so a round-up of the good and the bad is always useful

There are certain obvious outliers, such as Friends, Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones, that are generally well received. And inevitably, there are a lot that rated badly, or didn't live up to their potential - whilst Friends is generally well regarded, it's spin-off, Joey, never reached the same level of success.

But of course, everyone has their own favourites; so what shows couldn't you live without? And what shows would you avoid at all costs?

(Personally I've always hated South Park and Family Guy, but that rarely goes down well )
I'm watching Friends as I type :colone:

Also a fan of The Big Bang Theory. But nothing beats British Doctor Who :mmm:
Original post by shadowdweller
For better or worse, America throws out a crazy number of TV shows each year, and has done for ages. Even the best binge watchers and Netflixers couldn't hope to get through all of them, so a round-up of the good and the bad is always useful

There are certain obvious outliers, such as Friends, Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones, that are generally well received. And inevitably, there are a lot that rated badly, or didn't live up to their potential - whilst Friends is generally well regarded, it's spin-off, Joey, never reached the same level of success.

But of course, everyone has their own favourites; so what shows couldn't you live without? And what shows would you avoid at all costs?

(Personally I've always hated South Park and Family Guy, but that rarely goes down well )

The US TV I try to avoid is the news. It makes you want to cry from its sensationalism and repetition. After 10 minutes of watching CNN you will want to start selling things just to give the BBC more money to keep doing what they do.
I love Seinfeld and Community :awesome:
The CW makes some really good shows: Arrow, The Flash, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural and The 100 are popular :awesome:
The Inbetweeners USA > The UK version :awesome:

Said nobody.

Ever.
Um well I love american tv shows so heres a list of some of my favourites:

-the flash
-arrow
-daredevil
-sense8
-agents of shield
-friends
-faking it
-the fosters
-switched at birth
-pll
-community

Posted from TSR Mobile
Friends by a mile is the best thing to come out the USA on TV :biggrin:
The best (in my humble opinion):

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Wire
Friends
Community
The Big Bang Theory
Ally McBeal

The worst... can't really think of any right now, but Jerry Springer was pretty bad.
Best TV dramas imo of recent years... HBO: Deadwood, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire; other cable networks: Breaking Bad, The Shield, Damages; conventional network: The West Wing.

Worst: reality shows - crass, exploitative... the nadir of modern human civilisation.
Original post by Black Rose
The CW makes some really good shows: Arrow, The Flash, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural and The 100 are popular :awesome:

The 100 is good, all of the fighting :fight:

Original post by Kittiara
The best (in my humble opinion):

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Wire
Friends
Community
The Big Bang Theory
Ally McBeal

The worst... can't really think of any right now, but Jerry Springer was pretty bad.

You have an excellent taste in TV shows :awesome:

BTVS is amazing :love: Can't believe I forgot to include it in the OP!
No one mentioned Dexter? Yes the finale kind of ruined it but early on it was very good! Other recent favorites: Daredevil was excellent, can't wait for the next season of Gotham, and really enjoying Mr. Robot at the moment.
Reply 12
Original post by Sabertooth
No one mentioned Dexter? Yes the finale kind of ruined it but early on it was very good! Other recent favorites: Daredevil was excellent, can't wait for the next season of Gotham, and really enjoying Mr. Robot at the moment.

i agree on dexter, i just kinda stuck around to see it through.... was really good throughout the trinity season, and then kinda fell off after that.

Quick Reply

Latest