The Student Room Group

192 and open register

I'm sure many people have found themselves on 192.com and not really been worried about it, but I get the added joy of being the only person with my name on it. So I'm just a bit confused about how I ended up on there:

I DEFINITELY opted out of the open register when I registered to vote, I thought that this would protect my details (or at least mean that random websites couldn't sell my info).

So first question - what's the relevance of the "open" register, and opting out of it, since my details ended up online anyway?

And secondly, where does 192 get its details? Does the "full" register then also share details with 192?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Tanmayee

And secondly, where does 192 get its details? Does the "full" register then also share details with 192?

Personal Information published on 192.com

192.com publishes Personal Information from the following databases:

Directory Enquiries
Electoral Register
Company Directors

The Directory Enquiry Database

This is the national directory enquiry database which is licensed to 192.com by British Telecom. BT collects this information from all the UK's telephone companies and provides the resulting database of numbers to all of the UK's directory enquiry service providers. If You wish that Your details do not appear in directories such as 192.com or 118 services You need to contact Your telephone service provider who will set You up with Ex-Directory status. This change will automatically be communicated to all directory enquiry services.

If Your concern is merely to avoid annoying tele-marketing calls, You don't need to go Ex-Directory. A more effective action is to register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) which maintains a database of people that do not wish to receive such calls. Tele-marketing companies are legally obliged not to call numbers that have been registered on TPS.

www.tpsonline.org.uk
Electoral Register

There are two versions of the Electoral Register. The Full Electoral Register can only be used for electoral and other restricted purposes. The Edited Electoral Register was created in 2002 to provide a consented national name and address database that can be used for non-electoral purposes. Everyone has the right to opt-out of the Edited Electoral Register. Among the many uses of the Edited Electoral Register is the use by directories such as 192.com, by companies to prevent fraudulent credit card use, and by many charities such as adoption and fostering agencies and organ donation charities. There are many advantages to being on the Edited Electoral Register.

For convenience, 192.com obtains the Edited Electoral Register from a credit reference agency who in turn obtains the information direct from local authorities. To opt-out of being listed in the Edited Electoral Register You should contact Your local council or tick the relevant box on the annual voter registration form. 192.com recommends only opting-out of the Edited Electoral Register if You have a specific need. If Your only concern is to avoid direct marketing, or "junk mail" as it is sometimes called, there is a more effective way than opting-out of the Edited Electoral Register. This is because the Edited Register is only one source of many of names and addresses for marketing companies. The Mail Preference Service maintains a list of all those people that do not wish to receive direct marketing and this is used by almost all direct marketing companies to avoid sending such mail:

www.mpsonline.org.uk

In addition to opting-out of the Edited Electoral Register through Your local council, You may also contact 192.com directly to be removed from the Electoral Registers published on the Service. To do this please download the record removal form and mail it to the address given or fax it to 0207 909 2169.
Company Directors Database

The Company Directors Database is a list of all UK company directors which is collated by Companies House. Company director information is in the public domain to encourage transparency regarding the companies that consumers deal with. Only under very unusual circumstances will Companies House allow a director's details to be made anonymous. Should You wish to investigate this possibility please contact Companies House on: +44 (0) 303 1234 500
Reply 2
Thanks. Although, your response is a direct copy-and-paste from their website which I have already read.

I specifically asked about the electoral roll because this is the only way I can think possible in my case.
It is not possible that they collected my details through my phone company or BT as this would then be in my dad's name.
The company director option is also not possible for me.

Any suggestions? I can try filling out a C01 form to have my details removed but I'm quite confused as to why my details were shared in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending