The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelfox
It's only one game. Utd lost their first game in 12/13 against Everton, City lost to Cardiff in 13/14 in the first game. Both won the title.

It doesn't make or break a season. Yes its frustrating that of all the players to let us down was big Petr, but ultimately, a keeper will make mistakes. Lets hope that's them gone for the season.

We've got three weeks of the window left. I thought to challenge for the title signing Benzema could paper over the cracks of Coquelin, but that doesn't look likely. We need an Arteta lite.

A few weeks ago, I got called a troll for saying Arteta is better than Coquelin lmfao, Arteta is 10x the player Coquelin will ever be, so limited.

That was their second game not their first, and they were away

Original post by shawn_o1
He can't even get a game at palace. Zaha, Murray and Campbell are all ahead of him

Don't forget Bamford and Wichkham
He can't even get a game at palace. Zaha, Murray and Campbell are all ahead of him

Haha i don't really follow them tbh. well its a shame they treat him like this, he kept them up during their first season in the PL
Original post by sr90
That was their second game not their first, and they were away

Don't forget Bamford and Wichkham

My point still stands though.
It drags him out of position, lacks the discipline. Just because he runs around and shows passhunnnn does't make him better than Arteta.

It's not just passion i'm talking about, Coquelin has the attributes that can turn him into a top level CDM one day, giving his statistics of last season the guy - he has won 73 per cent of aerial duels, versus Arteta on just 50 per cent aswell as Coq winning an average of 3.70 tackles per 90 mins, versus Flamini (1.95) and Arteta (1.79). Moreover, Coquelin completed more than double the amount of clearances per full game last season, so how are you saying he lacks discipline?The guy has more discipline than Arteta and there's a reason why he's in the starting Xl, not taking anything away from Arteta because obviously when he's on his goals don't just appear from anywhere. It's a matter of preferance, Coq does it for me because given his age he can only improve and develop his discipline and talent.That said though, I obviously think there are players internationally available in the market who we need right now to bolster our CDM position, was a big mistake letting Schneiderlin to go United imo.
My point still stands though.

Oh of course it does, if anything it's better to get games like this out of the way early. We were equally dire in our first game last season at home to Swansea, despite playing really well pre season that game made it so obvious that our squad needed huge changes. If you'd beaten Villa in 2013 would you have signed Ozil for example? Perhaps not.

I just saw a stat as well that Arsenal have only won 1 opening day game in the past 6 years which is remarkable. Even that was only down to a last minute winner I believe? (Palace at home last year)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stefano93
It's not just passion i'm talking about, Coquelin has the attributes that can turn him into a top level CDM one day, giving his statistics of last season the guy - he has won 73 per cent of aerial duels, versus Arteta on just 50 per cent aswell as Coq winning an average of 3.70 tackles per 90 mins, versus Flamini (1.95) and Arteta (1.79). Moreover, Coquelin completed more than double the amount of clearances per full game last season, so how are you saying he lacks discipline?The guy has more discipline than Arteta and there's a reason why he's in the starting Xl, not taking anything away from Arteta because obviously when he's on his goals don't just appear from anywhere. It's a matter of preferance, Coq does it for me because given his age he can only improve and develop his discipline and talent.That said though, I obviously think there are players internationally available in the market who we need right now to bolster our CDM position, was a big mistake letting Schneiderlin to go United imo.

Ramsey and Ozil don't drop deep, which means that the third midfielder HAS to be a good passer.

Coquelin ultimately can't do that, as shown today.
Seeing as City just sold Dzeko and Jovetic, they're limited in striking options with their only alternative to Aguero being Bony. Fair to say City won't be selling Aguero to RM if we're still hoping for Benzema.
Original post by Dirtybit

Bit late there. 8/10 for effort
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Seeing as City just sold Dzeko and Jovetic, they're limited in striking options with their only alternative to Aguero being Bony. Fair to say City won't be selling Aguero to RM if we're still hoping for Benzema.

Didn't they play their 49m man upfront for a while?

Real Madrid won't be buying a replacement for Benzema, it'll be a winger.
Ronaldo is very likely to play the strikers role this season, especially if Benzema leaves so thats why you have a decent chance of getting him.

Then again, wouldn't rule out Madrid for putting 60 mill on Aguero. :biggrin:
Bit late there. 8/10 for effort

Never really had the time today, I was busy laughing.
Didn't they play their 49m man upfront for a while?

How many times during the season are they going to rely on Sterling playing out of position? They won't sell him unless the cash is unbelievable and they get a replacement sharpish.
Original post by Dirtybit
Never really had the time today, I was busy laughing.

Okay :colonhash:

Original post by Rk2k14
Real Madrid won't be buying a replacement for Benzema, it'll be a winger.
Ronaldo is very likely to play the strikers role this season, especially if Benzema leaves so thats why you have a decent chance of getting him.

Then again, wouldn't rule out Madrid for putting 60 mill on Aguero. :biggrin:

You think we have a decent chance RK? :colondollar:
11817199_1528912290482315_3379324846427497732_n.jpg

After arsenal fans mastered polls on twitter, they are also working well on PS
Okay :colonhash:

You think we have a decent chance RK? :colondollar:

Definitely, we've seen time and time again Madrid letting their prize possessions go so don't see why Benzema is an exception. Reus's relies clause plays a big role imo, he'll definitely move to a top team and if Benzema goes to Arsenal then destined for Madrid.
However, its down to whether Wenger has the guts to splash the cash and its looks he's under a lot of pressure, based on recent comments.
From an oppositions point of you I don't want you lot to get him cuz he'll make you a threat fo sho:biggrin:
Petr Cech is Magic he wears a magic hat,
we sent him out to arsenal, to **** their season up,
he lets in through his left side
he lets in through his right
and when we win the league again we'll sing this song all night
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Definitely, we've seen time and time again Madrid letting their prize possessions go so don't see why Benzema is an exception. Reus's relies clause plays a big role imo, he'll definitely move to a top team and if Benzema goes to Arsenal then destined for Madrid.
However, its down to whether Wenger has the guts to splash the cash and its looks he's under a lot of pressure, based on recent comments.
From an oppositions point of you I don't want you lot to get him cuz he'll make you a threat fo sho:biggrin:

He signed a new contract ages ago. I think they'll sign him though.

De Gea
Carvajal Ramos Varane Marcelo
Kroos Modric
James
Reus Ronaldo Bale
Original post by The Shed End
Petr Cech is Magic he wears a magic hat,
we sent him out to arsenal, to **** their season up,
he lets in through his left side
he lets in through his right
and when we win the league again we'll sing this song all night

Is that a bedtime story or what? Nearly put me to sleep bro.
Original post by Stefano93
Is that a bedtime story or what? Nearly put me to sleep bro.

Just inspired by another song of yours that was stolen from us in the first place.

Noticed a lot of empty seats towards the end, take it there's no wi-fi at the emirates for your lot to vote in polls.

Latest