The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Who is johnny2by4 and why is he bringing this rubbish into the Arsenal thread?

@sr90
@Lyrical Prodigy
Original post by e aí rapaz
Why would Madrid buy a prospect for the future and then sell him after 7 months?

Don't you know about Madrid?

Plus I read that they need more European players and less South American players in their squad. Think it's to do with a rule.
Evening Standard saying Wenger is happy with his squad and may not add to it.

Yikes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e aí rapaz
Who is johnny2by4 and why is he bringing this rubbish into the Arsenal thread?

@sr90
@Lyrical Prodigy

Cleaned it up.
Original post by leinad2012
Sorry, didn't mean for it to come across as bitching, was just trying to make a point without getting drawn into an argument as I was on my phone with poor internet at the time.

Just seemed a ridiculous time to be criticising a player when he's arguably been our best player in pre season, community shield and first game of the season.

His last season wasn't great, but he hardly played 20 games so it's pretty harsh to judge a player who couldn't get a run of more than 5 games without getting injured.

No, not a coincidence at all, because Ox getting injured was a FAR MORE important factor to us playing well in 2015 than say, Kosc coming back from injury, Ozil coming back from injury, the emergence of Coq. I mean ffs people use the same bs about us doing well in 2015 because of Ospina. Learn cause and effect ffs.

Awful passing would be an overstatement, pass completion of 81% over the last 3 years is a bit below par but not exceptionally so.

As for finishing I completely agree, it's no good him scoring 3 worldie's a season if he's missing decent chances. He should be aiming for at least 10 goals and 5 assists this year imo. But again that'll come with time.

Also agree with losing the ball in silly places. Him and Sanchez are absolutely criminal at this and both often get away with it wrt the media spotting it in analysis. Both need to seriously improve it but I feel Ox is more likely to do so than Alexis considering his young age.

There are definitely fans who overrate him, but I definitely think he's Arsenal level (at least, he's definitely a capable fringe player who should be fighting it out with Walcott for that RW place).

Seriously, what 21 year old is showing more promise in the pl than Ox as a future utility player and winger?

Something I noticed of Ox was that wrt his passing, he'd often take the safe option aka passing it backwards. He'd do this often when we counter attack and it would negate the attack in general. It would slow down our play and give the opposition a chance to rally back their players into defense and then our opportunities to score are missed. If he makes these types of passes often, or passes that don't provide much attacking wise, then his stats are some what skewed, or irrelevant. But I guess I do agree in that it was an over statement, and passing isn't his main weakness, but intelligence/decision making is, none the less. I guess these are problems which are solved with age, but like I've mentioned before, in the last 2 seasons we've seen him play I haven't seen him make much improvement. You could argue injuries have hindered him, but he played a good majority of the first half of last season. IIRC he only managed around 2 goals/assists in 19 appearances, which is in no way sufficient for an attacking forward. I just see no point what so ever in playing him at CM either. He's not a great ball distributor, his defensive contribution isn't that great, he loses possession easily so I'm not sure B2B is for him. Decent option for the wing as he likes to cut in from out wide and he usually does get the ball into dangerous areas.

Yes, Walcott and Ozil returning were the main factors to why we started our successful run in 2015, but the absence of Ox also had an effect on how we counter attacked, and the goals scored.

For his age I don't blame him. But I'm not rating him based on his age, I'm rating him based on the way he is being used. If a player starts a good amount of our games then I expect that player to be of sufficient quality, regardless of age. If he is young/raw, it doesn't matter if he's good for his age, because he's not good for the team. I'm not really just blaming Ox here, I'm also blaming Wenger for allowing this to happen. We rave about our depth but the quality of our depth really isn't all that.

Anyways my criticisms based on the past 2 seasons make a lot more sense, then those defending him based on a few pre season games, which mean nothing. Sanogo scored 4 against Benfica :lol:

Ox only turns 22 in a few days so I'll give him this season though, which is only fair. But I don't see him making at Arsenal. He'll be at Palace when he's 25/26.
Lol at QE2. Don't know how to tag on here but now it's been brought up, geezer has less of a life than Moh.
Lol'd at Ox at Crystal Palace

obviously gunna end up at Stoke in a GOAT 4141

Crouch
Affellay Ox Bojan Shaqiri
Pogba
Muniesa Shawcross Ramos G. Johnson
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by swirly
Lol'd at Ox at Crystal Palace

obviously gunna end up at Stoke in a GOAT 4141

Crouch
Affellay Ox Bojan Shaqiri
Pogba
Muniesa Shawcross Ramos G. Johnson

Stoke won't ever have a squad like this, by the time Ramos and P. Pogba decline to "only" be good enough for Stoke, crouch and possibly Shawcross will both retire
lol'd at the fact someone entertained the acquisition of Pogba and Ramos seriously enough to consider what age Crouch and Shawcross would be, and concluded age is the restricting factor in assembling such a squad :rofl:
Original post by swirly
lol'd at the fact someone entertained the acquisition of Pogba and Ramos seriously enough to consider what age Crouch and Shawcross would be, and concluded age is the restricting factor in assembling such a squad :rofl:

:lol:
:rofl3:
Flamini told he can leave, apparently.

On Twitter, meanwhile, Arsenal fans want Wenger to sign Eva from Chelsea. Lol.
Ahahaha one of these Religion forum melts actually reported me.

Interesting what happens when the offenders become the offended...
Original post by AR_95
Something I noticed of Ox was that wrt his passing, he'd often take the safe option aka passing it backwards. He'd do this often when we counter attack and it would negate the attack in general. It would slow down our play and give the opposition a chance to rally back their players into defense and then our opportunities to score are missed. If he makes these types of passes often, or passes that don't provide much attacking wise, then his stats are some what skewed, or irrelevant. But I guess I do agree in that it was an over statement, and passing isn't his main weakness, but intelligence/decision making is, none the less. I guess these are problems which are solved with age, but like I've mentioned before, in the last 2 seasons we've seen him play I haven't seen him make much improvement. You could argue injuries have hindered him, but he played a good majority of the first half of last season. IIRC he only managed around 2 goals/assists in 19 appearances, which is in no way sufficient for an attacking forward. I just see no point what so ever in playing him at CM either. He's not a great ball distributor, his defensive contribution isn't that great, he loses possession easily so I'm not sure B2B is for him. Decent option for the wing as he likes to cut in from out wide and he usually does get the ball into dangerous areas.

Yes, Walcott and Ozil returning were the main factors to why we started our successful run in 2015, but the absence of Ox also had an effect on how we counter attacked, and the goals scored.

For his age I don't blame him. But I'm not rating him based on his age, I'm rating him based on the way he is being used. If a player starts a good amount of our games then I expect that player to be of sufficient quality, regardless of age. If he is young/raw, it doesn't matter if he's good for his age, because he's not good for the team. I'm not really just blaming Ox here, I'm also blaming Wenger for allowing this to happen. We rave about our depth but the quality of our depth really isn't all that.

Anyways my criticisms based on the past 2 seasons make a lot more sense, then those defending him based on a few pre season games, which mean nothing. Sanogo scored 4 against Benfica :lol:

Ox only turns 22 in a few days so I'll give him this season though, which is only fair. But I don't see him making at Arsenal. He'll be at Palace when he's 25/26.

Looked at the stats and you're definitely right about backwards passes, which average about 40% of his passes. Having said that Ozil's is also at 40%, Santi is at 35% and Ramsey 38%, although all 3 have better pass accuracy. (all over the last 2 or 3 seasons at Arsenal).

Distribution wise he needs improving no doubt, he loses the ball too often when trying to break out and it is certainly an area which will need to improve if he ever wants to be a top winger of CM at Arsenal. But I think he can do it. His final product isn't all that bad tbh, he's a decent crosser and has the finishing ability, that's more than we could say about Walcott when he was 21/22.

Right now I completely agree playing him down the middle won't work for all the reasons you've mentioned.

I'm not saying don't criticise, but it seems VERY stupid to start criticising a player when they're on a good run of form and player better than anyone in the team. It's like Henry criticising Giroud after he's bagged something like 8 goals in his last 8 games, like, wtf are you doing Thierry the man is on form and you're tearing him to pieces needlessly.

He isn't a starter no doubt about it, but again, what team has a better fringe player on the wing than Ox?
Original post by swirly

He's clearly referring to Mathias Pogba :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
i'd be more nervous if i were a Chelsea fan.

if they draw or lose to City next week, they could end up 5 or 6 points off United (and Liverpool) respectively.
like you said, there's a long way to go but that's not the kind of pressure the Champions want to be under so early in the season.

Maths do you maths mutha****er
Looks like we may get a DM and striker after all
Original post by jam277
Maths do you maths mutha****er

Yeah soz, I forgot you guys got a point against Swansea....felt like you didn't :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stefano93
Looks like we may get a DM and striker after all

According to?
Tbh when I think of Wenger I think of Giggs. His longevity masks the fact that he's a bang average manager.

Latest