The Student Room Group

4 marks off A* - is it worth getting a remark in History?

In AS I was 4 marks off 90% so had a high A. At A2 I was 4 marks off 90% again (104/120). My friend told me my coursework doesn't count to get an A* only the exam because in my coursework I had 90% but then the exam board brought it down to a low A (66/80). So is it worth getting the A2 exam remarked to get the extra 4 marks?

I'm on WJEC btw
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by cookieesxo
In AS I was 4 marks off 90% so had a high A. At A2 I was 4 marks off 90% again (104/120). My friend told me my coursework doesn't count to get an A* only the exam because in my coursework I had 90% but then the exam board brought it down to a low A (66/80). So is it worth getting the A2 exam remarked to get the extra 4 marks?

I'm on WJEC btw

I'm not sure whether the rules are different for humanities subjects but I did WJEC for all my science A-levels and the rule in science is that you need 90 percent across all A2 modules, including coursework, to get an A* (you also need 80 percent overall, which you seem to have :smile:).

I would double check the A* rule in history and if it is what you say it is then by all means do so. Since you have very high A grades, you can afford to lose a few marks without losing your already excellent grade, which is a possibility in any remark.

According to www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx, you were 3 raw marks off 108 UMS in HY4. I would advise discussing with your teachers whether it's worth the money - remember, if your grade goes up, you get your money back.

Good luck. :smile:
No I took history coursework doesn't count. I would remark but just bare in mind those are UMS marks and maybe many more as a actual exam points.
Original post by Bluesti2133
No I took history coursework doesn't count. I would remark but just bare in mind those are UMS marks and maybe many more as a actual exam points.

Yes but I've looked at the mark-to-UMS table and it equates to about 3 raw marks, which, given that history is a humanities subject and the marking is more subjective, is possible to gain on a remark.
Reply 5
Original post by Bluesti2133

Original post by Hydeman
I'm not sure whether the rules are different for humanities subjects but I did WJEC for all my science A-levels and the rule in science is that you need 90 percent across all A2 modules, including coursework, to get an A* (you also need 80 percent overall, which you seem to have :smile:).

I would double check the A* rule in history and if it is what you say it is then by all means do so. Since you have very high A grades, you can afford to lose a few marks without losing your already excellent grade, which is a possibility in any remark.

According to www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx, you were 3 raw marks off 108 UMS in HY4. I would advise discussing with your teachers whether it's worth the money - remember, if your grade goes up, you get your money back.

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you so much guys!! So you reckon the remark is worth it and that it could potentially go up by 3 marks?

I just told my parents and they are really worried they may mark it down and it may go to a B which they (and I) would really hate!

Edit: I just rang WJEC and they said that you had to have 90% in all of the A2 units including HY3 - the coursework so it looks there is no point in remarking then :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm in the same boat. My history exam was a high B which was a very big surprise as I thought it went well. Sent for a priority remark. When should this come back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop getting in a muddle!

You need 80% OVERALL and 90% over the two A2 units. Forget what your friend said.

That means, as you already have an A at AS, you need 180/200 in your A2.

You currently have 170/200 so you need to go up by 10UMS.

That is quite a lot so if you send your A2 exam for a remark it will probably not go up that much. However, if you are willing to risk the money it's up to you. An A is still a fantastic grade, well done!
Thank you so much guys!! So you reckon the remark is worth it and that it could potentially go up by 3 marks?

I just told my parents and they are really worried they may mark it down and it may go to a B which they (and I) would really hate!

Edit: I just rang WJEC and they said that you had to have 90% in all of the A2 units including HY3 - the coursework so it looks there is no point in remarking then :frown:

Aw, sorry to hear about that. :/ Don't worry though, an A is still an excellent grade. :smile:

I'm on WJEC btw

I'm sort of in the same boat. I do AQA and was 1 mark off an A* in History, which really annoyed me since I am going to be doing History at university! However, I got into my firm choice (AAA) and I wouldn't want to risk it going down to a B. In the end it's your choice- if you got into your firm, I wouldn't risk it! :tongue:
Reply 10
I've got my remark request form ready to give in for edexcel history (a2) however I'm starting to question myself...

Although I got a C in the exam, I am just 3 UMS points away from an A overall. I got into my firm but I was predicted an A and this low C was very out of character for me so I want to get it remarked.

Am I right in thinking that if the top end of the C grade boundary is 279 UMS points and I currently have 317, I would have to drop 38 points in the remark for my overall grade to go down to a C?

I'm aware my grade for that paper could go down but as long as I drop less than 38 points I would still have a B right?
Reply 11
Just sent mine off for a non priority remark, hoping I've done the right thing! Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending