The Student Room Group

I hate partying/drinking and Fresher's is coming up...

How is this going to work?

Obviously, I'm all up for meeting new people; but, I dislike drinking and I find partying boring.

Do I HAVE to party during Freshers week? Is there not something else I can do? (participate in societies?).

Scroll to see replies

Is it a legal requirement to get smashed at Fresher's?
Original post by Ed's Balls

no, but you have to when someone says "DOWN IT FRESHER"
Original post by Ed's Balls

Most of what I've heard about fresher's is that there WILL be a lot of parties. What are the alternatives to those parties?
Original post by theperformer

Obviously, I'm all up for meeting new people; but, I dislike drinking and I find partying boring.

Do I HAVE to party during Freshers week? Is there not something else I can do? (participate in societies?).

Yes of course you can enjoy societies if you dont enjoy drinking and/or clubbing:smile: there ll be events on at some su's during the day to meet people that dont involve drinking either:smile:
This occasional bindge doesn't hurt
Reply 6
Just don't go for the first week and say you were busy sorting stuff out. No one really cares.
Original post by claireestelle
Yes of course you can enjoy societies if you dont enjoy drinking and/or clubbing:smile: there ll be events on at some su's during the day to meet people that dont involve drinking either:smile:

Do you think Fresher's is good for introverts? I'm not really an extrovert.
Original post by scriberg

What happens if you say "NO" :colone:

Most of what I've heard about fresher's is that there WILL be a lot of parties. What are the alternatives to those parties?

Internet parties.
Do you think Fresher's is good for introverts? I'm not really an extrovert.

If you make the effort to join in the events put on then it can be pretty good, i met my friends at a random quiz and karaoke during freshers:P Then met my boyfriend at a film society showing:smile:
Original post by Mamoixen
Just don't go for the first week and say you were busy sorting stuff out. No one really cares.

I COULD miss it, but are you suggesting that there really isn't an alternative to clubbing at Fresher's?
no, but you have to when someone says "down it fresher"

doot it fresher

I wouldn't worry too much about not meeting people because you don't want to go out over freshers most of my initial friends were made on my course and societies I joined and I was out at every available opportunity on freshers people usually get that drunk they don't remember who they meet anyway although it might make flatmate bonding a bit harder.

Give it a go you don't have to drink and I find student nights out are 100 times more fun than your average Saturday. If you decide you still don't like it join a society and meet people with common interests

I feel the EXACT same.
Original post by preetg97
I feel the EXACT same.

It's a dilemna...I don't want to miss fresher's because ppl make friends during then, but I can tell the soul of freshers will be with partying and that might be where every1 makes friends

I'm quite nervous about it all

Someone said that while I was holding a glass of water.
I COULD miss it, but are you suggesting that there really isn't an alternative to clubbing at Fresher's?

Yeah just miss the whole week, if there are lectures it's just introductory. Make an excuse to your flatmates when you see them why you had to miss it (if your in halls).

My suggestion would be to just go for the week, not bother going out. Even if you do go out for freshers, then you won't go out every weekend with your flat mates (if you're in halls) so they'll form opinions of your drinking habits sooner or later.
Original post by thehistorybore
Someone said that while I was holding a glass of water.

Original post by Mamoixen
Yeah just miss the whole week, if there are lectures it's just introductory. Make an excuse to your flatmates when you see them why you had to miss it (if your in halls).

My suggestion would be to just go for the week, not bother going out. Even if you do go out for freshers, then you won't go out every weekend with your flat mates (if you're in halls) so they'll form opinions of your drinking habits sooner or later.

How good is fresher's if I don't go clubbing but just stick to societies?
How good is fresher's if I don't go clubbing but just stick to societies?

I enjoyed freshers just doing that myself personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending