The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Only 1 team in the Championship & 2 in League 1 took 6 points from 6 in the opening 2 games. And Brighton only stole that win in the last minute.

Going to be a great season
Interested to see whether Newcastle get Armstrong back from Coventry before his loan is out. He's absolutely on fire at the minute, and he'll undoubtedly show an inferior defence like Crewe's up tomorrow night. I think he's the second highest scorer in the country right now. Some feat.
Original post by Mackay
Interested to see whether Newcastle get Armstrong back from Coventry before his loan is out. He's absolutely on fire at the minute, and he'll undoubtedly show an inferior defence like Crewe's up tomorrow night. I think he's the second highest scorer in the country right now. Some feat.

Steady on, just 2 games in. There is a big big difference between League 1 and PL defences so I expect they will let him continue scoring goals here till January and then either loan him to a Championship side or extend it here. Whatever happens it shows Mowbray does have an eye for a player, Vincelot has also shone in midfield.
Original post by Midlander
Steady on, just 2 games in. There is a big big difference between League 1 and PL defences so I expect they will let him continue scoring goals here till January and then either loan him to a Championship side or extend it here. Whatever happens it shows Mowbray does have an eye for a player, Vincelot has also shone in midfield.

Vincelot's a master of the dark arts. He breaks up play magnificently, and I was always impressed by him at Orient. He's got plenty of needle, and game management. That ruthlessness will serve you well I'm sure.
Eight first teamers out with long term injuries within the first two weeks of the season. ****ing hell.

And anyone who thinks our pitch was acceptable for the games against Ipswich and Oxford must live in a swamp.
Slight apology for the late Non League Hamlet update (actually might make this a little colourful and more formal if people like this) as ive been at a little festival with the girlfriend celebrating getting into University. Hooray!

Anyway, the Hamlet have earned themselves a well earned draw this weekend against the runner ups of the league last season Hendon FC, who last season surged through the last twenty games only dropping 11 points I believe. If the second half reports are anything to go by however, we could of picked up all three and the victory to make it nine points out of nine. The keepers performance was something out of a montage apparently from the onlookers, and the fans (home and away, all 268 of them!) gave that keeper a well earned round of applause at the full time whistle. 1-1 however, and a good draw against a league contender.

In terms of the league table, we stay top with 7 points and a plus 5 goal difference so far, great start to the new season! Farnborough are yet to play a game and at this rate are expected to be expunged from the league in due course. Some teams thus far have only played two games as a result so cant be judged on their total performance. Performers of the weekend however go to Kingstonian with a brutal 7-0 thrashing against last seasons playoff Semi Finalists the Met Police. Last season they had one of the strongest defences in the whole Seventh Tier so to concede anything more than three is a massive achievement.

Our next game is tomorrow against Thamesmead Town which should be a cracker. Report for that match due tomorrow, missed this weekend game need my fix.

Up The Hamlet!
(edited 8 years ago)
Very happy to hear the cops lost 7-0.
We need to beat Bristol City on Wednesday night, because we're getting **** all against Wednesday on Saturday
Original post by Jangrafess
Very happy to hear the cops lost 7-0.

Can assure you the hatred for them is just as much throughout all the clubs at this level. To think if they won the playoffs you could pick them for Football Manager 2016..
Coventry-Crewe tonight interests me greatly. I'm also intrigued as to how the relegated Championship sides (Wigan, Millwall, Blackpool) bounce back after disappointing starts to life in the third tier.
Original post by TornadoGR4
We need to beat Bristol City on Wednesday night, because we're getting **** all against Wednesday on Saturday

How come?
Original post by Tony_LeaS
Can assure you the hatred for them is just as much throughout all the clubs at this level. To think if they won the playoffs you could pick them for Football Manager 2016..

GMP continually **** over FC United. They charged us what amounted to £5 per supporter in the ground for policing against Stockport last week and reduced our capacity by a thousand. There was zero crowd trouble and they were just squeezing cash out of a local derby and sending all the rookie coppers to Broadhurst Park as training for City or United.

Brentford related: I've just been looking at stills of ex-Bee Jonathan Douglas's tackle on Jota - he'd been angry at Brentford management for a while and we'd had him training by himself for weeks before managing to offload him to Ipswich. In his first game back he did this to one of our best players, someone who had been his teammate for the entirety of the previous season. The stills show how late it was and some words were exchanged which make it sound deliberate. Jota is out for three months now.

Really disappointing behaviour from someone we loved until the last few weeks of last season.
(edited 8 years ago)

Why is that?
Original post by The Wavefunction
How come?

We never beat Yorkshire teams :frown:

(Except Huddersfield, **** bastards :biggrin:)
Walsall at home tonight, I'd expect the 100% record to be gone come the end of the game. No doubt Bradshaw will score.
Original post by TornadoGR4
We never beat Yorkshire teams :frown:

(Except Huddersfield, **** bastards :biggrin:)

Did the double over Borough (If you count them as Yorkshire) 😝
Original post by joddcfc
Why is that?

Its mostly to do with the disrespect they treat people with at times, and with the Ryman League which covers London and the South East, a lot of people aren't easy to forgetting about the personal troubles they caused throughout some times (Brixton riots spring to mind for teams like Dulwich, Tooting and Mitcham and other South London clubs). Its nothing to do with the players or the manager, just the badge they hold. I believe quite a few teams chanted "You're just a repressive state apparatus" during Met Police home games.

Not to mention their ground is awful and they average no more than 80 fans a game.
Carlisle United's 779-mile midweek round trip to Plymouth is tonight.

Feel for them.
I believe quite a few teams chanted "You're just a repressive state apparatus" during Met Police home games.

That's ****ing brilliant.
Original post by Mackay
Carlisle United's 779-mile midweek round trip to Plymouth is tonight.

Feel for them.

I believe in their 11 visits to Plymouth they have a record of 0W 1D 10L. 8000+ miles for a one draw.

Quick Reply

Latest