The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emily131
Haha I still need a printer so I'm trying to limit myself on other stuff!

I got a brilliant one from Currys on offer its a Hp wireless.

Hp envy 4507 £49.99

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I still need a printer so I'm trying to limit myself on other stuff!

I recently bought an epson xp-225, i have a feeling another fiver has been knocked off it so it is now £35. Its an all in one printer with scanner and photo copy system and is wifi.

I didn't think i had to buy a new printer but i broke it with compatible cartridges 2 weeks ago. the cartridges had bits that stuck out where the chip attached ( that shouldn't be there! )to the cartridge and it broke the internal connection to the chip.I didn't even think to check them but now i am being extra careful with what i use with my printer as i cant afford real epson ink.
Original post by Lmshephard

Hp envy 4507 £49.99

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just bought the same today. Signing up for Instant Ink so I don't run out at a really annoying moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redmel1621
I have received an email from uni asking me to fill in a profile form, which I have done, and suggesting I familiarise myself with the professional journey file. They have asked that I fill in the initial self review section. I'm not really sure what they expect me to write tbh.

There appears to be a grading system consisting of: No Experience; Beginning; or Developing. As far as I can see I will be grading every section as No Experience.

Has anyone else had one of these to complete?

The point of this sort of thing is so you can track your progress throughout the year - you'll be given the same thing several more times at various pivotal moments in the course. So at this stage it's perfectly fine - maybe even advantageous - to put "no experience" for most things. By the end of the course, you'll be sick of that sort of progress tracker XD
Original post by Lmshephard

Hp envy 4507 £49.99

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooooh thanks for the tip I will have a look :smile: xx
Original post by sans-peur
I recently bought an epson xp-225, i have a feeling another fiver has been knocked off it so it is now £35. Its an all in one printer with scanner and photo copy system and is wifi.

I didn't think i had to buy a new printer but i broke it with compatible cartridges 2 weeks ago. the cartridges had bits that stuck out where the chip attached ( that shouldn't be there! )to the cartridge and it broke the internal connection to the chip.I didn't even think to check them but now i am being extra careful with what i use with my printer as i cant afford real epson ink.

thanks for the tip! I just need one that will work with an iPad, no idea if normal printers will do that or if I need a special tablet one. time for a super exciting shopping trip to Staples :wink:
Ooooh thanks for the tip I will have a look :smile: xx

This is AirPrint enabled too so you can print from your iPad

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd avoid using your own printer just for the ink costs! Your university will usually give you some printing credits (I had £10 and it lasted me most of the year!) and your schools should also give you access to printing facilities which will be hugely cheaper than printing at home!
Original post by Samus2
I'd avoid using your own printer just for the ink costs! Your university will usually give you some printing credits (I had £10 and it lasted me most of the year!) and your schools should also give you access to printing facilities which will be hugely cheaper than printing at home!

Yeah I will do that as and when I can, but I have a daughter starting Year 9 so we use our printer a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a printer at home but I literally didn't use it for my whole PGCE.
I found it really useful having a printer during my PGCE (and still use it a fair bit) even though obviously you should be able to print at school. But make sure you don't fall into the habit of printing multiple copies at home and spending a lot of your own money.

It's nice to be able to print a master copy of a worksheet at home, then just nip to the photocopier when you arrive at school. Otherwise, it can mean going to one end of the school where your department is, logging onto a computer, sending a file to the printer, then going to collect and photocopy it. I just find that too much hassle and the fairly small cost of printing one copy at home ready to photocopy is worth it.

I think I'm going to start taking a bit of plain A4 paper from work though, just because I only really use my printer for work purposes so it doesn't seem right to pay for paper myself.
Original post by laura.a.c265
I've just bought the same today. Signing up for Instant Ink so I don't run out at a really annoying moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't get instant ink :frown:

It's on offer at the minute £16 for the bundle and its 3 for 2 😊 I've stocked up xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm seriously having to resist the urge to buy a laminator. We have one at work and I'm pathetically excited when I get to use it. I know the schools I'm in will have them, but my last school was super stingy with their laminating facilities, and it'd be nice to be able to make my own resources that won't get damaged.

I move to my uni city on Monday. I'm ridiculously excited and nervous. I can't stop buying new clothes and stationery.

Female trainees- what did you wear on placement? I'm trying to break out of my black trousers and smart t-shirt/jumper every single day routine, but not sure what's acceptable. I always look smart, nothing is above the knee or cleavage-y and I'll be wearing thick tights and cardigans, but my clothes aren't business formal either (midi skirts, tea/skater dresses etc).

It seems like primary teachers have a lot more leeway with what they wear, but in your experience what did that tend to mean?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoannaMilano
I'm seriously having to resist the urge to buy a laminator. We have one at work and I'm pathetically excited when I get to use it. I know the schools I'm in will have them, but my last school was super stingy with their laminating facilities, and it'd be nice to be able to make my own resources that won't get damaged.

I move to my uni city on Monday. I'm ridiculously excited and nervous. I can't stop buying new clothes and stationery.

Female trainees- what did you wear on placement? I'm trying to break out of my black trousers and smart t-shirt/jumper every single day routine, but not sure what's acceptable. I always look smart, nothing is above the knee or cleavage-y and I'll be wearing thick tights and cardigans, but my clothes aren't business formal either (midi skirts, tea/skater dresses etc).

It seems like primary teachers have a lot more leeway with what they wear, but in your experience what did that tend to mean?

I've had a laminator since I was about thirteen and found it very useful in my time teaching. Tbh with you I never had enough hours at school to get everything done so I would have to do something at home, and laminating is at least an easy job you can do with the TV on etc. If possible I would take pouches home. My school had a rolling laminator instead of having pouches and they once ran out for over a month so noone could do anything in school. This place was particularly protective with stationery though... You couldn't even access the cupboard yourself, you had to ask for each item so it could be checked.

I pretty much wore what you described, but sometimes a black skirt with tights instead. Sometimes a dress with tights. It will kind of depend on the school so I'd go with black trousers and smartish top on day one and just see what everyone else is wearing!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I found that both my placement schools were really laid back about dress code. I went in on the first day really formally dressed and felt like an idiot. In reality I could wear my normal wardrobe, seeing as I like dresses anyway. To someone who knew me you wouldn't have been able to tell I was at work. The only thing I kept an eye on was cleavage. My dresses were quite short (not massively, maybe a post-it over the knee) but I was told it was fine because my dresses were skater style and not clingy. We had a trainee who got told to change her skirts because they were too short and clingy.
Original post by kpwxx
I've had a laminator since I was about thirteen and found it very useful in my time teaching. Tbh with you I never had enough hours at school to get everything done so I would have to do something at home, and laminating is at least an easy job you can do with the TV on etc. If possible I would take pouches home. My school had a rolling laminator instead of having pouches and they once ran out for over a month so noone could do anything in school. This place was particularly protective with stationery though... You couldn't even access the cupboard yourself, you had to ask for each item so it could be checked.

Ooh, glad you found it useful! I think I'll invest in one then! :smile:

kpwxx
I pretty much wore what you described, but sometimes a black skirt with tights instead. Sometimes a dress with tights. It will kind of depend on the school so I'd go with black trousers and smartish top on day one and just see what everyone else is wearing!!

Airfairy
To be honest I found that both my placement schools were really laid back about dress code. I went in on the first day really formally dressed and felt like an idiot. In reality I could wear my normal wardrobe, seeing as I like dresses anyway. To someone who knew me you wouldn't have been able to tell I was at work. The only thing I kept an eye on was cleavage. My dresses were quite short (not massively, maybe a post-it over the knee) but I was told it was fine because my dresses were skater style and not clingy. We had a trainee who got told to change her skirts because they were too short and clingy.

Thanks guys, glad to hear it's pretty informal. I don't own anything short or clingy, so no danger of that! I'll probably play it safe for the first day and go from there :smile: I'm on a massive diet at the moment, so need to stop buying clothes that fit me now!

Dress codes are very much unique to a school. Most will be laid back, and as long as you're not dressed for the beach it's probably fine. Some schools can have strict staff dress codes, though, which is something to be aware of. I would say dress professionally on the first day and observe what other members of staff are wearing, then dress to match that.
I am pretty much a black trousers and shirt/blouse type of girl, when it comes to work wear. I would not inflict the sight of me in a dress on anyone!

Can I ask though, am I fine in me 'ole jeans for uni days?
Original post by redmel1621
I am pretty much a black trousers and shirt/blouse type of girl, when it comes to work wear. I would not inflict the sight of me in a dress on anyone!

Can I ask though, am I fine in me 'ole jeans for uni days?

Uni days are the same as any other uni dress wise. So pretty much anything goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Uni days are the same as any other uni dress wise. So pretty much anything goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phew :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending