The Student Room Group

To go to uni or not-HELP!

Hi there, so I've firmed my place to study Sociology at the University of Manchester however I don't think uni is for me. During my A-levels I knew I didn't want to go to uni as I never had an interest of going. So I took a gap year to think then decided through the persuasion of my teachers and family that I should go uni otherwise what will I do at home?

However, for the past month I've been thinking that I can either go into part/full time employment, start an apprenticeship, volunteer with VSO, do a TEFL course and so much more. I feel like I will be somewhat wasting 3 years at uni plus getting into debt when I know that after my degree I don't want to go into a certain profession. After uni I'm most likely not to get a graduate job as I've been told by graduates.

I don't want my family to think that I'm a failure but surely going to uni isn't obligatory right? Plus if later on in life I feel like a going uni I can?

Hope I made sense lol, I'm just super confused right now as moving date is approaching very soon (3 weeks to be exact :eek:) so please if anyone has been through this or has some advice to give me please do.

Thanks in advance:smile:
I think you should defer your place until next year and do whatever you want this year, working/volunteering etc and if it turns out good and your life is going somewhere without a degree then don't go to uni next year, but defer your place just in case you change your mind. Otherwise you will have to apply again etc which is a bit of a pain!
Reply 2
Original post by szm95
Hi there, so I've firmed my place to study Sociology at the University of Manchester however I don't think uni is for me. During my A-levels I knew I didn't want to go to uni as I never had an interest of going. So I took a gap year to think then decided through the persuasion of my teachers and family that I should go uni otherwise what will I do at home?

However, for the past month I've been thinking that I can either go into part/full time employment, start an apprenticeship, volunteer with VSO, do a TEFL course and so much more. I feel like I will be somewhat wasting 3 years at uni plus getting into debt when I know that after my degree I don't want to go into a certain profession. After uni I'm most likely not to get a graduate job as I've been told by graduates.

I don't want my family to think that I'm a failure but surely going to uni isn't obligatory right? Plus if later on in life I feel like a going uni I can?

Hope I made sense lol, I'm just super confused right now as moving date is approaching very soon (3 weeks to be exact :eek:) so please if anyone has been through this or has some advice to give me please do.

Thanks in advance:smile:

I've just finished my 'gap year' - i did the VSO scheme and i also travelled in SE Asia for 4 months.
Taking a gap year has easily been the best decision i've made- so much so i'm taking another one and soon i'll be heading to Australasia! :smile:
My family and friends/ society in general ask me what my plans are and i'm not worrying i just love what i do at the moment haha!
Reply 3
You see I've already took a gap year out during that gap year I worked part time and stayed abroad with family for 4 months. So will taking another gap year be advisable?
I took a gap year, a last-minute decision, and it was the best decision of my life. There are downsides to going to uni, as you've mentioned, but I wouldn't completely cross-out the idea. If I were you, I would defer your placement and take the year off. You've listed a couple of possible things to do during a gap year, do them, gain experience, take risks, and then towards the end of your gap year, think about how much you've grown and learned and whether you want to that new-found knowledge and maturity to university with you. Gap years can be great, but they can also be expensive, and I feel that no matter what you do, a university degree will be worth it in the long haul. Good luck! :smile:

Just to add since you've replied: What exactly do you want to do during your 2nd gap year? How has the experience you've already gained been beneficial to you? There's no point in taking all these trips and applying for these placements if you aren't going to use the experience you gained. Think of a goal and work towards it. ^^
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by driftawaay
I think you should defer your place until next year and do whatever you want this year, working/volunteering etc and if it turns out good and your life is going somewhere without a degree then don't go to uni next year, but defer your place just in case you change your mind. Otherwise you will have to apply again etc which is a bit of a pain!

Is it worthwhile deferring, I mean won't it cause a problem with student finance and ucas? Also if I were to defer then change my mind that no I don't want to go uni can I withdraw my application ?
Original post by szm95
Is it worthwhile deferring, I mean won't it cause a problem with student finance and ucas? Also if I were to defer then change my mind that no I don't want to go uni can I withdraw my application ?

No, its fine, its only August so can still defer and just let SF know you are deferring, it will be OK. And sure if you decide u dont want to go next year, you just let your uni know that you would like to withdraw. Its not complicated.
Reply 7
Original post by BookBird

Just to add since you've replied: What exactly do you want to do during your 2nd gap year? How has the experience you've already gained been beneficial to you? There's no point in taking all these trips and applying for these placements if you aren't going to use the experience you gained. Think of a goal and work towards it. ^^

What annoys me about today's society is that we're all working towards something. Doing things only to 'look good on the CV' and thinking 'oh no what will my future employer thinks if i took a year out'. It's time to wake up and realize life is short and to make the most of being young and free with little responsibility.
Original post by cdude
What annoys me about today's society is that we're all working towards something. Doing things only to 'look good on the CV' and thinking 'oh no what will my future employer thinks if i took a year out'. It's time to wake up and realize life is short and to make the most of being young and free with little responsibility.

I was simply trying to help OP decide on what she should do next; I'm all for doing things because you want to and like to, but when it comes down to it, we all need to think of our future and how the decisions we make now can affect that future. You can still act young and free and do something worthwhile, for example, I volunteered as an English teacher in Nepal for 2 months, not only did I get to paraglide and trek in Nepal, but I gained substantial volunteering experience. You see what I mean? It's so easy to get lost in the excitement of life, or a gap year in this situation, and find yourself, thousands of dollars spent later, unsure what your next step is.
Reply 9
Original post by BookBird
I was simply trying to help OP decide on what she should do next; I'm all for doing things because you want to and like to, but when it comes down to it, we all need to think of our future and how the decisions we make now can affect that future. You can still act young and free and do something worthwhile, for example, I volunteered as an English teacher in Nepal for 2 months, not only did I get to paraglide and trek in Nepal, but I gained substantial volunteering experience. You see what I mean? It's so easy to get lost in the excitement of life, or a gap year in this situation, and find yourself, thousands of dollars spent later, unsure what your next step is.

Yeah, I agree- i also did a volunteering scheme for 3 months. It just really worries me, the fact i was the only person in my year who took a gap year and went travelling/ volunteering. I don't know why but everyone seems to be in a rush to get a degree and settled into a career. Often, because of this sense of rushing students make mistakes and study subjects they're not really interested in.
Original post by cdude
Yeah, I agree- i also did a volunteering scheme for 3 months. It just really worries me, the fact i was the only person in my year who took a gap year and went travelling/ volunteering. I don't know why but everyone seems to be in a rush to get a degree and settled into a career. Often, because of this sense of rushing students make mistakes and study subjects they're not really interested in.

Exactly! I wasn't the only person in my year to take a year off, but most of my friends went straight to uni and for a few of them, it didn't work out. One decided she didn't like her major or her uni, and so left after the first semester and re-applied to new universities, which ended up working out great for her because she loves the new school she's attending. There's so much pressure to go straight into uni after high school, it's hard for most students to consider a gap year as an alternative, even when they have no clue what they want to do in uni.

Quick Reply

Latest