The Student Room Group

Is 24k a decent starting salary?

Hi, I've been offered a graduate job in London with 24k starting salary - is that great, ok or bad?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

24k would normally be a decent starting salary for average hours and little to no higher education but in London the cost of living is ridiculously high.
yeah it's good
It'd be even better if you lived outside London with that job
Reply 4
Original post by Docjones1
24k would normally be a decent starting salary for average hours and little to no higher education but in London the cost of living is ridiculously high.

Thanks, however I don't quite agree about the little to no higher education bit. A school leaver isn't going to be offered this amount I don't think.
Seems about average for a graduate job tbh, but then I don't live in London. It's more than what I get anyway and I've been working for a year.
Reply 6
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
It'd be even better if you lived outside London with that job

I'm from London anyway, so I'll probably stay at home and save on rent.
Congrats:biggrin:
Yeah I would say that is a pretty good starting salary:smile:
Original post by yabbayabba
Hi, I've been offered a graduate job in London with 24k starting salary - is that great, ok or bad?

Thanks

Average London grad job salary.
It's better than 23k.
Reply 10
Mate I'm working a zero-hours contract at minimum wage for McDonald's. I'd stab a baby to get that job. Do it.
no lol I make 100k/hour
Original post by jape
Mate I'm working a zero-hours contract at minimum wage for McDonald's. I'd stab a baby to get that job. Do it.

:eek:
Yes, you will be fine, you just have to keep cost down. London is very expensive and will leave you a little saving.
Reply 14
Original post by Juichiro
:eek:

I know. And I actually like babies.
that's beautiful. i make that 23k and life is good and I don't even have 4 yr degree yet. budget a bit and don't have to commute that far from work to residence/save petrol, cheap place to start, sure why not. I've a motor and share a nice semi, things might be tight if you're in London lol

plz do

If you're living at home it's plenty. I earn a few k over that and I have a lot of spare money each month but it depends how much if any you will be paying your parents? I pay my Mum some rent and bills but it's nowhere near as much as moving out would be.

Also, I have found from my own research that living in London isn't as expensive as everyone says. You can move into a houseshare for around £500 a month and then bills on top, I think that's pretty reasonable?
Original post by Man.bear.pig
that's beautiful. i make that 23k and life is good and I don't even have 4 yr degree yet. budget a bit and don't have to commute that far from work to residence/save petrol, cheap place to start, sure why not. I've a motor and share a nice semi, things might be tight if you're in London lol

Without a degree, you are much less likely to hit 23K.
Original post by Juichiro
Without a degree, you are much less likely to hit 23K.

ok. are you jealous?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending