The Student Room Group

I wish I was a smart Asian...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pomum96
I dont tell people things, apart from on here apparently. When i lost my auntie i told a few friends but soon after that 2 other relatives died and i felt silly bringing these things up. I hid mental health problems (not always successfully but i dont think people know the full extent), ended up hiding scarred arms. But my friends still asked me for advice on everything as if i must always have the answer, and looked up to me, from grades to how i do my eye makeup. They say im lucky because my future will be better than theirs, that i'll get a good job. And i dont want to argue with that because sometimes you need someone to admire and im not sure how to go about shattering that image.

Wow...

That's incredibly upsetting and you're a brave individual for surpassing the hardships that you've encountered. Hard work doesn't equal luck. If your future is better than theirs, then so be it, but they most probably say that as an excuse for their absence of a good work ethic.

I don't know whether you want to hear advice from me, but if you are to do so, please see someone about your mental health. You need to understand that you need to take care of yourself before others or else the complications may overwhelm you and no one benefits- see a GP perhaps? I have friends who look up to me too, but I haven't had the problems you have. The fact of the matter is, you don't need to shatter your image, nor do you need to argue. Simply tell them how it is: "If you want to have a good future then work harder; that's that. Nothing comes easy and you're unaware of how my life has been until this point." This is how I'd act and I'm sure my friends would still look up to me for being honest.

I hope all goes well for your situation and your parents love you for you and not solely for the grades you've obtained. (I'm not sure if you're religious, but I'll pray for your situation anyway c: )
Original post by Man.bear.pig
why Chinese?
I know a lot of butthead Chinese people

@Proxenus/@The_Blade

I might not seem like it lol but you know Will from the Inbetweeners? I'm a pair of specs and virginity away from being him as far as taking my education and academic career seriously. And I'm desi/Indian, not Chinese :colonhash:

whats up?
Original post by The_Blade
whats up?

gonna go cook then blaze up wet grass with the bae, what else lol
i tagged you because i shaded you for being a dumb chinese lol i say it with love
gonna go cook then blaze up wet grass with the bae, what else lol
i tagged you because i shaded you for being a dumb chinese lol i say it with love

I ain't dumb fam
Original post by The_Blade
I ain't dumb fam

i'm playing calvin lol you caught me at a bad time :frown:
Reply 45
I'm smart too :sad:

Then why are you posing in that ridiculous hat?
Original post by cacra
Then why are you posing in that ridiculous hat?

my hat is great. you can't afford half of it.
I'm half Chinese and got A*A*A but I have no practical skills lol
Reply 48
my hat is great. you can't afford half of it.

I can't afford a hat with weed symbols on it?

Give me a break.
Original post by cacra
I can't afford a hat with weed symbols on it?

Give me a break.

it's the brand not the design you can't afford you ****ing cricket.
now stop quoting me

Reply 50
it's the brand not the design you can't afford you ****ing cricket.
now stop quoting me

Yeah, I'd rather not get into a conversation with pathetic NEET drug addicts.
Original post by cacra
Yeah, I'd rather not get into a conversation with pathetic NEET drug addicts.

says the guy who initiated the conversation and idk what NEET is but "addicts" is abit of a stretch
Reply 52
why not just wish you were smart, though? it's like saying "I wish I was a really fast-running african" - why not just "fast-running"?
Reply 53
Original post by flamboy
why not just wish you were smart, though? it's like saying "I wish I was a really fast-running african" - why not just "fast-running"?

Because I'd much rather be Asian as well....

Spoiler

Reply 54
Original post by 1295084
Because I'd much rather be Asian as well....

Spoiler

what are your reasons? what race are you?
Reply 55
Original post by flamboy
what are your reasons? what race are you?

... Let's just say I'm the least respected race :smile:

Edit: Plus I love Chinese culture
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by 1295084

what would you say is the least respected race? native american?
Original post by 1295084

I could guess... But it'll get me into trouble.
Original post by Pomum96
Thats how i try to look at it. But good grades dont mean anything after a while. When people are doing 6 a-levels and get all A*s i feel how you feel. Like i just want to be better. I felt completely isolated throughout sixth form. I worked right through lunchtime. All the time literally. I forgot to eat. The joints in my right hand were so swollen from writing too much. I developed depression which has somehow managed to destroy every aspect of my life so even though i have the grades to go far, the feeling that im never good enough means i have no motivation to actually use my skills. Anyway im getting past it, and the fact that im moving out means my parents are actually appreciating me as a person rather than someone to boast about to their friends (attention terrifies me so this was no fun).
Phew sorry, didnt mean to sob like that. Just been a bum couple years. It happens.

Also i realise this doesnt have much to do with being asian.

Call childline.
Reply 59
Original post by MrKmas508
I could guess... But it'll get me into trouble.

It's fine, I'm sure we all know what it is lol!

Quick Reply

Latest