The Student Room Group

Infographic - What's the cheapest small car to buy and run?

How cheap is your car to run?
Reply 1
Still cheaper to buy a motorbike. :wink:
All of those cars are way too small & boring, I'd never bother with any of them.
My 13 year old 1.9 diesel Passat costs me 10.6p per mile and I could have brought nearly ten of them for the cheapest of any of the above. Not to mention it is safer, larger, more comfortable and much quicker.

Plus good luck ever getting 88mpg out of those cars. Maybe on a sunday morning with a tail wind and no traffic whilst driven by a nun on the way to the orphanage.

You'd be crazy to buy a new car.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EchoTango
My 13 year old 1.9 diesel Passat costs me 10.6p per mile and I could have brought nearly ten of them for the cheapest of any of the above. Not to mention it is safer, larger, more comfortable and much quicker.

You've misunderstood what the cost per mile figure is. Yours is presumably just how much it costs in fuel, whereas the figure they give includes the cost of insurance and purchase (though it's not clear how they've worked it out).

Still, 59hp? I've used more to mow the grass!
Reply 5

Plus good luck ever getting 88mpg out of those cars. Maybe on a sunday morning with a tail wind and no traffic whilst driven by a nun on the way to the orphanage.

You'd be crazy to buy a new car.

What Ben said re economy. Plus it's unlikely your 13 year old Passat is safer than one of those new cars. Have a look for a video Fifth Gear did crash testing a few years ago, it was a Volvo estate vs a much newer Renault mini MPV I think. The Renault won by miles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
What Ben said re economy. Plus it's unlikely your 13 year old Passat is safer than one of those new cars. Have a look for a video Fifth Gear did crash testing a few years ago, it was a Volvo estate vs a much newer Renault mini MPV I think. The Renault won by miles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

13 year old passat safer than a new car? of the same size? No way. Safer than a shopping trolley... I'm willing to bet yes!

Original post by CurlyBen
You've misunderstood what the cost per mile figure is. Yours is presumably just how much it costs in fuel, whereas the figure they give includes the cost of insurance and purchase (though it's not clear how they've worked it out).Still, 59hp? I've used more to mow the grass!
Apologies. I have indeed shot myself in the foot royally.:colondollar: 27.2P per mile for 10,000 miles for me, with fuel, insurance and purchase cost... all bundled in. I'd be interested to know if depreciation is in their figure or not...

Apologies. I have indeed shot myself in the foot royally.:colondollar: 27.2P per mile for 10,000 miles for me, with fuel, insurance and purchase cost... all bundled in. I'd be interested to know if depreciation is in their figure or not...

For a meaningful cost per mile figure I'd expect it to include depreciation (not purchase cost), insurance, fuel, servicing/MOT and repairs. It always annoys me when a figure like that is quoted but you're not given a clue how they've arrived at it! Particularly in a case like this, where you have both static and dynamic costs.
they missed the aixam off of this list but i would buy a new car i i had ten k for a car now then i have a number of choices
aston martin db7
bentlry turbo r
rolls royce silver spirit
corvette c4
tvr chimaera
there are many many more but these are a few of my favorites
Reply 9
Original post by jamesthehustler
they missed the aixam off of this list but i would buy a new car i i had ten k for a car now then i have a number of choices
aston martin db7
bentlry turbo r
rolls royce silver spirit
corvette c4
tvr chimaera
there are many many more but these are a few of my favorites

Yes you can buy those cars for £10k. But would you want one that is only £10k? You would likely need to put the same amount again into them to get them into good condition. Not to mention the other associated running costs with cars like that.

In fact from a quick look, you can't get a DB7 for less than £20k.
Original post by dhr90
Yes you can buy those cars for £10k. But would you want one that is only £10k? You would likely need to put the same amount again into them to get them into good condition. Not to mention the other associated running costs with cars like that.

In fact from a quick look, you can't get a DB7 for less than £20k.

it's in a dealership next to my uncles mot centre along with three quattroportes for for £30,000 each but there damaged reject stock
and some leave a lot of change some are in the 4-5 grand region and in pretty good order
Reply 11
Original post by jamesthehustler
it's in a dealership next to my uncles mot centre along with three quattroportes for for £30,000 each but there damaged reject stock
and some leave a lot of change some are in the 4-5 grand region and in pretty good order

Nothing on autotrader for less than £20k. Again though, they might state they are in good condition, but you would still put another £10k into them and barely even notice what that money has done.

Top Gear did a challenge to buy a supercar for £10k, all the cars broke down and were just awful.
rollers and bentley of this grade were not built for speed they weighed 6-7 tonnes and were luxury vehicles- try gumtree or ebay see this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171897301393?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#viTabs_0

Original post by dhr90
Nothing on autotrader for less than £20k. Again though, they might state they are in good condition, but you would still put another £10k into them and barely even notice what that money has done.

Top Gear did a challenge to buy a supercar for £10k, all the cars broke down and were just awful.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending