The Student Room Group

Not sure which subject to drop at A2

I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English lit at AS, achieved ABAA respectively. I scraped the A in maths though. I was thinking about keeping all four, but I have a 20 hour a week job and am worried I will struggle to keep up. I got 99% UMS in English so don't want to drop that. I want to study biological sciences, which requires biology and one other science/maths.

I was going to drop maths but I'm worried my B in chemistry will fall to a C at A2 and I won't get into a good university.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by MsTyrell
I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English lit at AS, achieved ABAA respectively. I scraped the A in maths though. I was thinking about keeping all four, but I have a 20 hour a week job and am worried I will struggle to keep up. I got 99% UMS in English so don't want to drop that. I want to study biological sciences, which requires biology and one other science/maths.

I was going to drop maths but I'm worried my B in chemistry will fall to a C at A2 and I won't get into a good university.

Any advice?

If you did that well in English at AS I Would keep it
Bio is a pretty much must
I would try to do less hours at work under 10 is the recommended amount for it not to impact your school life per week
I would say Maths over Chemistry because for me Maths A2 was easier than Chemistry A2 (less of a jump up from AS but both at A2 are a lot harder)
Any other questions or thoughts feel free to pm or quote me
Reply 2
Original post by chem@uni
If you did that well in English at AS I Would keep it
Bio is a pretty much must
I would try to do less hours at work under 10 is the recommended amount for it not to impact your school life per week
I would say Maths over Chemistry because for me Maths A2 was easier than Chemistry A2 (less of a jump up from AS but both at A2 are a lot harder)
Any other questions or thoughts feel free to pm or quote me

Thanks for replying. I know what you mean, it would be such a shame to drop English after doing well in the AS. I think I'll keep all four for now and see how it goes. Thanks!
Reply 3
Thanks for replying. I know what you mean, it would be such a shame to drop English after doing well in the AS. I think I'll keep all four for now and see how it goes. Thanks!

I wouldnt do 4 A2's I know a lot of people who got all A's at AS and decided to do 4 at A2 and just burned and got B/C by the end of it because the work load was too much at A2 compared to AS

Can you do less hours at work?
Reply 4
I wouldnt do 4 A2's I know a lot of people who got all A's at AS and decided to do 4 at A2 and just burned and got B/C by the end of it because the work load was too much at A2 compared to AS

Can you do less hours at work?

Yes I could do, or maybe quit all together. I might drop math. I got a B in AS chemistry though and am worried I might end up with a C at A2. :frown:
Reply 5
Yes I could do, or maybe quit all together. I might drop math. I got a B in AS chemistry though and am worried I might end up with a C at A2. :frown:

Well look at the UMS how close were you to a C at AS Chem and how close where you to a B at AS maths?
Reply 6
Well look at the UMS how close were you to a C at AS Chem and how close where you to a B at AS maths?

I got a high B in AS Chem and a very low A in AS maths.
Reply 7
I got a high B in AS Chem and a very low A in AS maths.

Ignoring the grade you got did you find one easier at AS than the other?
Reply 8
Ignoring the grade you got did you find one easier at AS than the other?

Chemistry was my best subject all year but I got nervous for the exam!
Reply 9
Chemistry was my best subject all year but I got nervous for the exam!

Yes then stick with it maybe think about resitting one of the AS exams if you did badly in one over the other
Reply 10
Yes then stick with it maybe think about resitting one of the AS exams if you did badly in one over the other

Ah thank you for your help!
Reply 11
Won't Chemistry be a much bigger help to biological sciences in uni?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Won't Chemistry be a much bigger help to biological sciences in uni?

Yes I agree but an A in maths is considered better than a C in Chemistry even if applying for biological sciences

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending