The Student Room Group

Human Rights

Poll

Which Human Right is the most important to you?

It has lately emerged that the government intends to abolish the Human Rights Act for the British Bill of Human Rights. Regardless of your political views regarding this, surely everyone believes in at least one article of the current Human Rights Act. This poll has been designed to discover what the most important rights under the Human Rights Act are the most important for you. Just vote for the one you care the most about.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Government just wants the human rights laws to be made and enforced in the UK as opposed to some people in the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
where's the rest of this post ? the part where it says that they want to replace the human rights act with a British bill for human rights?
Reply 3
Original post by SamuelSingleton
where's the rest of this post ? the part where it says that they want to replace the human rights act with a British bill for human rights?

Hey, I'm not really sure what you mean, I've put up the poll now though.
Free Speech

But I do support the British Bill of Rights and I also want it to include some Responsibilities as well
Reply 5
Original post by BaconandSauce
Free Speech

But I do support the British Bill of Rights and I also want it to include some Responsibilities as well

What's wrong with the current system?
Original post by solomoncefai
What's wrong with the current system?

It has no responsibilities just rights and I (as do many other) believe it's a two way street

It is also open to abuse as we can see at the moment

for example

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11687979/Terror-suspects-tag-violates-his-human-rights.html
It has no responsibilities just rights and I (as do many other) believe it's a two way street

for example

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11687979/Terror-suspects-tag-violates-his-human-rights.html

'Human rights' are rights that people have just by virtue of being human. They don't have to earn it with responsibilities. Those would be called 'civil rights'.
Human rights are human rights. They are basic rights of humans. One cannot compromise with any of them. They cannot be priorities.
Why can I only choose one of those rights?

They're all crucial and I don't see how anyone can support compromising on any of them.
Original post by BrokenLife
Human rights are human rights. They are basic rights of humans. One cannot compromise with any of them. They cannot be priorities.

Original post by Little Toy Gun
'Human rights' are rights that people have just by virtue of being human. They don't have to earn it with responsibilities. Those would be called 'civil rights'.

Yeah, so even Hitler, the terrorists, the guys who raped Fatmagül, this guy who put a bomb in a UK train station and other miserable, useless people would have just the same rights as you and me and the Pope???
This theory assumes that humans are born with rights just because their humans? What happens to animals, do they have rights just cuz their animals? Is mankind better than any other animal kind in the world? Other than destroying the planet and killing many species, I don't know what makes humans so special as for them to have rights by the "virtue"(?) of being humans.

Having responsabilities doesn't mean you have to earn your rights, it just means that you have to demonstrate your humaneness so that those rights apply to you.
Talking and walking over two feet dont mean anything.
Original post by zalo_00
Yeah, so even Hitler, the terrorists, the guys who raped Fatmagül, this guy who put a bomb in a UK train station and other miserable, useless people would have just the same rights as you and me and the Pope???
This theory assumes that humans are born with rights just because their humans? What happens to animals, do they have rights just cuz their animals? Is mankind better than any other animal kind in the world? Other than destroying the planet and killing many species, I don't know what makes humans so special as for them to have rights by the "virtue"(?) of being humans.

Say what you want, I'm merely clarifying for you to concept of human rights and the linguistic definition of it.

Original post by zalo_00
Having responsabilities doesn't mean you have to earn your rights, it just means that you have to demonstrate your humaneness so that those rights apply to you.
Talking and walking over two feet dont mean anything.

Being human is a biological definition. You don't have an argument here whatsoever.

Just got around to read this.

So you don't believe in the legal principle of 'innocent before proven guilty'?

Do you believe bail conditions should be abolished on this basis?
Original post by Lady Comstock
Do you believe bail conditions should be abolished on this basis?

Interesting how you mentioned bailing, money that would be paid back should the suspect not violate court orders, instead of remand.

Then you didn't read it as this is not what this case is about.

for example

You have found a case of a man clearly mentally ill who has had his condition made worse by the tracking anklet that he was forced to wear. He is no doubt not a good person but he is a person all the same and to force him to live with the belief that he could die any second is horrible.

I too can find specific incidents which support my view, have a look: https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/campaigning/save-our-human-rights-act/save-our-human-rights-act

In advance too, I'd like to bust some of the myths that have been created recently; http://rightsinfo.org/infographics/the-14-worst-human-rights-myths/ .
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Why can I only choose one of those rights?

They're all crucial and I don't see how anyone can support compromising on any of them.

I felt that personally I would of liked to keep all of my rights however in order to stimulate thought on the importance of the HRA I asked people to prioritize.

I do agree with you though, I wish I could of set to let people choose maybe 3 instead of just the one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Then you didn't read it as this is not what this case is about.

Then you simply don't understand what actually was happening.
Then you simply don't understand what actually was happening.

Yes I do and it wasn't about being innocent till proven guilty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending